Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm clueless here

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by BassGurl42, Oct 8, 2000.

1. BassGurl42

BassGurl42

Oct 8, 2000
    Muskegon, MI
    Ok, I am a newbie in the bass world and I have a few questions.
    1. What does "Drive the bus" mean? I was looking at my issue of Musicians Friend and there was a Fender Bass Street insert in it and there was an article thing that said "Victor Bailey Drives the Bus." I must be the only one that doesnt know this, but hey, stupid is as stupid does.
    2. What is the best amp I can get for 300 dollars and under? I see quite a few, but don't know which one to buy. I currently use my stepdads beat up amp that his band uses and I want my own.
    3. Are there any bass tab archives other than www.basstabarchive.com? I am searching for the song pick up the pieces by the average white band and can't find it anywhere.

Ok, done. Please respond. It might leave you with a warm fuzzy feeling inside.

Thanks,
    Rachel :)

2. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    in your amp price rance, i would suggest going used. Check out bassplayer.com and click 'Gear' then scroll down to 'Combo Amp Shootout' this has got some good info on amps. These may be out of your pricerange, but if you find them used theyll be cheaper

3. try http://www.basscrawler.com.... i like them a bit better than basstabarchive.com... they seem to have just as many if not more tabs too... hope i helped

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Maybe Joe Zawinul is trying to cut his costs on tour - Jazz doesn't pay as well as rock/pop etc. so you probably need other skills to make a living these days! ;)

Seriously, I have been playing bass for 25 years and have never heard this expression, although I can have a good guess at what it means, as I've heard him play with the Zawinul Syndicate - but I shouldn't worry, it just sounds like sloppy journalism on the part of Musicians Enemy!

[Edited by Bruce Lindfield on 10-09-2000 at 08:53 AM]

5. jcadmus

jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Re: The "Drives the bus" comment, assuming that the statement isn't explained clearly somewhere in the article, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Like in any other discipline, insider jargon abounds in music and this sounds like an example of that.

Jargon is a means by which the self-alleged "masters" (in reality, not the true masters) distinguish themselves from those they deem beneath them -- in their view, if you don't know the right words, you don't "get it" and therefore aren't nearly as hip as they are. Another way they attempt to do this is judging a player's ability by his or her gear.

This is all total rubbish, of course, so don't sweat it. And welcome to playing bass.

6. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Rachel, check out the T.B. classified section. There is a Peavey head and cab for sale that seems to be in your price range.

Welcome to T.B., and good luck.

Pkr2

7. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    When the author of the article wrote that Victor Bailey "Drives the bus", it was just a slang term. This slang is not specific to bass playing. The slang terms "Driving the bus", "Bus driver", etc., etc., are spin-offs of the slang term "Takin' you to school", which means, in a very indirect way, that many bass players could learn a lot from Victor Bailey. Obviously, Eric Kingsbury (the author of the article) didn't make a very good connection with his readers.

I hope my explanation made sense :) .

Also, "Pick Up The Pieces" is transcribed in the February 1999 issue of Bass Player. Hopefully you can find a subcriber that will lend you their copy, or, if you want it bad enough, you can order the back-issue for $10.00.

8. JohnL

JohnL

Sep 20, 2000
    Grayson, GA
    I imagine the bus thing is another way of saying he is a really solid player who lays down a righteous groove. As far as your amp, you can get some decent ones used in your price range, but if your stuck on a new one, try the little Ampeg BA series. It might be hard to find anything better in the quality category than Ampeg, at least in that price range. I've seen it for $319 at Guitar Center, and it ALSO has a cd input to jam along with your favorites and learn some cool bass lines, which should help you with your question #3 as well. Good luck!

9. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
  10. alx564

alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
  11. Ya know this site has a tab section??

All these tab places are copys of each other, and just about all of the content of all are mostly wrong, but they give you a basic idea of the song.

12. Maybe Victor Bailey is the only one who stays sober enough to drive the tourbus--you know how crazy those jazzers get! ;)

13. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    I've seen more bassists on here that play jazz than us rock bassists. is jazz bass harder than rock? cause I've learned one thing, rock bass is just way too freakin easy. I mean, anyone who has played any kind of nirvana will know this. I'm looking for challenging music. most of the time I just have to write it myself. I've never listened to jazz, but if there is something special in it as far as bassists are concerned could someone tell me?

14. I've seen more bassists on here that play jazz than us rock bassists. is jazz bass harder than rock? cause I've learned one thing, rock bass is just way too freakin easy. I mean, anyone who has played any kind of nirvana will know this. I'm looking for challenging music. most of the time I just have to write it myself. I've never listened to jazz, but if there is something special in it as far as bassists are concerned could someone tell me?

I guess I'm not really a jazz player, but I'm told that I have "jazz sensibilities", whatever that means. I guess part of it is that I used to play in an Allmans cover band and I learned a lot about improvising. Anyway, it's kinda hard to make one blanket statement, and I think that there's some challenging rock and roll music out there, but I guess that it's a common stereotype that jazzers are better musicians--meaning that they know how to read music and how to improvise. I would say that it definitely doesn't hurt to know how to read and improvise. As for jazz being harder than rock, I'm sure there are rock players who couldn't play jazz and jazz players who couldn't play rock. There are plenty of guys who could probably do both; and I think that's cool. No reason to limit yourself.
    funkyc

15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    The "driving the bus" comment is almost certainly about laying down a good solid groove. If you really listen to a good band, you'll notice that the bassist really drives the groove, not the drummer. This applies in any style/genre of music (I've played most of 'em ;) ). So JZ was referring to Victor Bailey's ability to drive the groove onstage. I always refer to my playing as bus driving :D

"Git yo thumb outcha @$$, an yo foot on da gas!" :D

As for a decent amp for under $300, I'd suggest looking around for a used combo, I got a great sounding Crate BA 50 practice amp (50 watts, one 10" speaker) for $50. It's not something that I'd want to use at a rehearsal or gig, but it's enough to get you started (I actually think the little amp I got sounds great at low, practicing by myself volumes). Don't go out looking for a huge rig until you NEED it, just get a decent practice amp for now. Get the best bass you can find though (if you haven't already), there's no reason to start out on a "Yugo" bass if you can afford a "Cadillac", or at least a "Chevy". :D Good luck.

Oh, and one other thing, anyone that thinks rock music is all easy has obviously not listened to any Yes, Rush, King Crimson, Spock's Beard, Dream Theatre, Lord Only ( ;) ).....the list goes on and on and on....and I've heard some pretty lame "jazz" too, but I'm not gonna waste space listing it. Besides, mama always said "If you can't say something nice...".....

16. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes, this is why I decided to take up Jazz a few years ago - as a way of finding more challenging music and learning more about music theory while still having fun!

Of course there are exceptions, but as someone who played rock/pop music for a long time I can tell you that moving into Jazz is a huge challenge! I think it is especially true for bass players that Jazz is more of a challenge.

Fistly, in rock - the drums lay down the time/rhythm and as the bass player you are often just "locking in" with that. well in Jazz, drummers go off and do their own thing - mostly trying to add variety - and everybody looks to you as the bass player to give the time and to keep the rhythm going, no matter what's going on around you. Now this might not seem too hard, but I can assure you that it requires a great deal more accuracy and self-reliance. Jazz often has different time signatures as well - not just 4/4! ;)

Secondly, Jazz uses a lot more chords generally than rock/pop (alright I know some Jazz is based on 12 bar blues but even so!)and these chords mean that you can't get away with playing root/fifth all the time - to create a flowing walking line you need to know what every note in every chord is - and then some! Jazz can also have more complex forms, which the bass player is expected to memorise quickly - losing the form, as a bass player is a cardinal sin in Jazz! ;)

Lastly, in Jazz,asa bass player you are expected to take a solo almost as often as the other instruments. And that is a solo that is melodic and interesting and provides an alternate melody over the chord changes - you can't just thrash away or put some effect on to cover up - you have to know the chords, what their function is in the sequence and all the possible notes available to you - then make sense of it, "on the fly" - oh and you're not allowed to repeat yourself or use your favourite "licks" or "riffs" - each solo has to be saying something. Oh and quite often - everyone else will stop playing during your solo, so you have to keep all this going in your head and be right on the money when everyone else comes back in.

Is that enough of a challenge? :D

17. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Bruce -

In that last bit, you hit on my biggest beef when I get a solo (in any genre): Everyone stops playing!!!! ARRRRRGH!!! I groove my gluteous maximus off for these yutzes all nite, my time to shine, and they all go get a beer or take a leak! :rolleyes: Makes me almost hate to solo! I usually ask bandmates not to do that to me, the ones that ignore me, get the same treatment: I go to the loo during one of THEIR solos. ;)

18. thayer182

thayer182

Oct 1, 2000
    I admit there is some very hard rock bass music. ever try to follow creed's bassist? I still haven't been able to learn higher, although I think I've got the wrong tab... but I've only been playing for just 10 months, but I've gotten a pretty good style by now. and I can play really fast. it's the slow songs that challenge me though... but I am a strong riff rock based bassist. that's all I've ever learned or listened to. although I probably will end up learning some jazz sooner or later. I just think that bassists need to come to the forefront more and show that we are skilled musicians capable of playing more than just a few notes in a song over and over again. at least that's what I'm gonna be doing whenever I start writing my own music in my band.