Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm concerned about my search

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Sigma B, Nov 14, 2004.

1. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I'm in the process of selling my Peavey Cirrus 5 string Tiger Eye and I'm looking for a replacement.

I went looking around for a new 4 string and I haven't really found anything that melted my butter. I thought I would like to get an American Fender Jazz 4 string, but everyone I picked up felt stiff, rigid. The action was way to high compared to the cirrus I've been playing. I also checked a few others while there.

There just aren't many options from the local dealers.

My cirrus just feels - smooth, like I can lay the groove down I want to without forcing it. Perhaps I'm not used to a new bass yet.

Basically I'm asking those of you who have much more experience what you would recommend I do? I have a budget of around 1500 - 1700 or so. I really don't want to go over and above that. I'm really looking for a wide 4 string spaced bass that rugged even long scale with a ballsy sound that sings, if that makes any sense. I really like the sound that Patrick from the band LIVE is getting. I primarly play Rock. Bands that I like to play along with are Dave Matthews, LIVE, Rammstein, NIN, A perfect Circle etc.

I know there are lots of people begging for advice - I appreciate all of those who take the time to assist me.

Thanks!

2. tomd03

tomd03

Oct 8, 2004
    Alberta Canada
    Well if you're looking for easygoing groove machines, check out a ricenbacker, or a musicman stingray or sterling. Otherwise, just keep on checking every bass you can till you find your perfect match

3. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I guess I'm looking for something that plays like buttah, but isnt everybody?

4. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile

:confused: no, I eat butter regularly... Never once though my bass should be like it. I never got that association.

If you are looking for something like the Peavey... get another.

You also might try a G&L (MIA or Tribute) or Lakland 44-02... they might suit you?

The Peavey is Neck thru right? Maybe that's the key? Try some neck thru 4 strings... Carvin makes some real nice players.

5. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    Are Carvin's really all that?

If you listen to Live's "White Discussion" song you can hear the sound I'm looking for... from what I understand he's using a '58 fender PBass, but I don't know if I really want to get a P because I like a little funk and want to be able to slap - maybe i'm off though.

The butter association is relative to the playabilty - ie Smooth and unforced

6. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I know all the explinations... My basses will never be butter or "buttah" to me, that is all.

feel and tone are 2 differant things to consider.

P basses can be slapped... I actually prefer a P/J over a J/J for slap.

I think something with a MM humbucker and a J in the neck would do for what I assume you might need. If you were me, you'd be looking to try an EB Bongo, Lakland Skyline 44-02, Carvin LB70... or maybe a Fender P deluxe with it's P and powerbucker pickups.

Carvins aren't "all that" but they are a quality neck-thru USA made bass. I've owned 2 from the early 90s and would pick up another one if one came up at the right time. I'd actually love to score an 80s pre "pointy era" fretless all maple neck thru as a collection piece.

7. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    When you start talking "the feel of a bass" you get into a real subjective area. I do know where you're coming from though. I've tried just about every brand of bass out there and only a few really feel special to me. I'd recommend Roscoe, Elrick or F Bass. I've always been fairly impressed with the way most Cirrus basses play. The electronics have been the main thing that kept me away from a Cirrus. I haven't played a 4 string Roscoe but the 5's have a great feeling neck. A lot of people describe them as a P-bass on steroids. I've never fully bought into that but I can see where they're coming from. It's just a real versatile sounding bass (with the Bart 3-band). Overall it's my favorite. If you're more of a slapper, the F Bass might be a good choice. Killer slap sounds and a lot more. Excellent craftsmanship and very versatile electronics. Sounds great passive or active. The Elrick has more emphasis on the mid's and really cuts through a live mix. All 3 winners!
    You need to take a road trip to a dealer that has some brands that you haven't been able to check out. You also might want to check out some fellow TB'ers in your area. Maybe you can meet up and check out their basses.
    Other than that, I'd recommend that you buy used. Worst that can happen is you sale/trade and minimize your looses.
    Good luck!

8. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    +1 on 99% of what Jome77 said. (The Roscoe is dang good but not my "favorite".)

The Cirrus is a very good bass too. It's going to be hard to upgrade from a Cirrus without spending the big $$$--unless you buy used.

JB

9. troll

troll

Aug 31, 2000
    Chicago area
    If you're dead set on a 4, but really like your cirrus, then just get a cirrus 4. I have a few 5's, and a 4, and I find myself playing the 4 more than anything. It's just wonderful for the money.

Sure theres lots of 'better' basses as far as tone, and the way they feel, but it's hard to do much better in that price range.

Troll

10. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I just want a change thats all. I want to streamline. I no longer need a 5 string.

Do you all understand the tone I'm after? Any of you Live fans or what not?

11. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Based on the music you mentioned Id suggest a passive P/J bass.

Fender makes some nice ones and Id recommend Valenti but you already said you'd want to try one first. Where do you live again?

G&L also makes the SB-2 which I think might really be what you are looking for if you can deal with not having a tone knob.

Im not sure if the Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub come in PJ, but thats another option. The bassist from Live uses that model a lot.

12. hmm i wonder why no one has headed him ninos well chek him out man hes on and around the site all the time send him a pm or chek out his site i dont have the adress on me right now but its worth a shot

13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Oh Hell Yeah! I ordered Mental Jewelry before it was actually released... I've been playing along with Throwing Copper (suprised I still remember most all the basslines) since my last post. White Discussion is most likely a P like you said. A couple tracks sound like a Stingray (I know he toured playing a Ray that year).

Pat's tone is hardly "Smooth & Unforced".... I'd go "thick and aggressive".

He used Laklands a bit now. I still think a skyline 44-02 would be a good call for you.
    http://www.lakland.com/html_pages/product_pages/skyline_4s.html

Truthfully, I'm getting real close with my fretted 5 string Benavente with a pair of Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups and SIT powerflats.... though it sounds like he's using nickel rounds.

Look at Nino's stuff... too.

14. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    I live in Lexington, KY.

I'm keeping all my options open. I just want something that will fill my void.

15. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd recomend that you ask the sales person in the store you're in that you're really serious about buring this bass. Tell him if they can throw a new set of string on it (if they're old) & set it up to your liking so you can make a decision if you're gonna spend your hard earned money on it. Usually a fresh set of string & a proper set up will make almost any bass come alive.

IIRC "White Discussion" was recorded with a StinRay. I'm not 100% sure. I know he's recorded with old Fenders, maybe Laklands & Rays.

16. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    F bass
    Roscoe
    Sadowsky Metro (When they start showing up used)
    Musicman

F bass would be the top choice imho.

17. Sigma B

Sigma B

Mar 31, 2004
    nino

i was going by this page about patrick's gear. patricks gear page

Which led me to believe that he was using the '58 P bass.

i just love the way he sounds in the mix. I also love Flea, Hamilton from Aerosmith amongst others.

18. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    While "Secret Samadhi" wasn't neccesarliy my favorite Live album ... the bass sounds on there are insane ... and they are almost all 60's P basses. So check out an alder bodied, rosewood necked P style bass.

IIRC the older records were done with Music Man Stingrays ... so check out a few of those as well.

The Lakland also sounds like a good possibility to me since it'd have a shot at covering both sounds (though it will likely nail neither exactly).

Whatever you do (this is the important part of my post ), don't sell your current bass until you find a replacement that you are in love with! Better yet, don't sell it at all and keep saving until you can afford a second.

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Stingrays and Ps, Stingrays and Ps. ;)

Man, Pat has an amazing collection of old basses.

20. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    I lived in the Garden Springs section for the last 1/2 of 1995. Cool area IMO.

listening to it again... maybe more Ray then P. Good call Nino. I saw that tour and he mainly played a Ray live