I'm confused and I want seasoned Veterans help...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_Ryst, May 29, 2005.

1. I play a 4 string bass currently. I'm only 14, and it's an Ibanez GSR200. I listen to a lot of stuff like Dream Theater, Patitucci, etc. and it all makes me really want a 6 string, but I've been advised by some players to go to a 5 string...

I mean...what do you reccomend?
  2. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Go to a store, play both and see what you like best..

my €0.02
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Get what is going to work for you, not what someone says is going to work for you. If, in your head, you hear your ideas being played across 6 strings, GET THAT; if you hear them with just 5, GET THAT.

Only piece of advice I will give beyond that: Do not settle for less than you want in an instrument. If you can't afford the bass you really feel is right for you now, save up until you can afford it. It only costs you more in the long run to "settle" for an inferior instrument, you will be unhappy with less than you want/need, and will eventually end up selling or trading it - at a loss - to get what you really want.

Good luck. :)
  4. I really, really want a six string...I mean...that's just ME, but right now all I'm looking to spend on a bass is 800 bucks.

I don't know what I want though...
  5. Yeah I would agree, try them and see what feels good. By the music you're listening to, it makes me proud to see a 14 year old listening to well played music. :)
    I went from 4 to 5, then 6. In each change-over I sold the lesser strings as I got used to more strings. In my case I can't and won't go back. It really does affect your patterns and feel for the neck width. Also you do need to adjust your style when playing a wider neck. On fretless 5, and 6, you really need to play flatter fingers, well at least I do. :)
    Good luck, and yeah don't listen to what others say, me included, you'll know if it's worth it.
  6. I'm primarily a four-string player, though I just recently picked up a five-string bass that I'm loving. I've played a few six-string basses and the ones that particularly stood out were the Peavey Cirrus 6 basses. I spent some time with two Cirrus 6 basses and they both felt very comfortable in my hands. They have a very clear tone, IIRC. Between Dream Theater and John Patitucci, I'd say it's more along the Patitucci sound. Used, you might be able to find one around $800. If not, save up to $1000 and I'm sure you can find one. If you can play one first, that's always recommended, but for your price range and in the interests of getting a solid bass that'll last, I'd say the Cirrus 6 is my recommendation (note: though I've never owned one).
  7. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds

Find what feels right for you and know why you are buying whatever you buy. Don't go to a 6 just because John Myung has one. Find YOUR way and YOUR purpose and YOUR style.

Mike W.
  8. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Great advice.

If you budget is $800, if you are patient, you can get a used Peavey Cirrus 6 or Yamaha TRB 6 for that price. If you can afford one of these, you will have to spend over $2000 to get something better.
  9. mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
  10. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    This is the awful truth..... for me at least. I went through almost 30 basses to see that what I wanted was right in front of me. I was always settling for less, and less is not more, more is less IME. Forget how the instrument looks cause looks can be deceiving. Try every bass you can no matter if it looks crappy.

Good luck
  11. kilgoja

May 26, 2005
    yeah they are right...i have small hands and short fingers so i hate 5 and 6 string basses....it's about what's right for you
  12. Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    mate, if you got your heart set on a 6'er then get one,
    check yamaha, ESP got a nice 6er, (B model) and Ibanez SR's 506 are friggin lovely
  13. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    nice words men...nice words
  14. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    If you play a bass (WHATEVER the number of strings, you never know), and you find yourself thinking about weeks later, and you play it again and the feeling is still there. That's your spiritual partner. It's like dating someone you can't get out of your head. :smug:
  15. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma

This is the best gear advice I've heard on a long time.
    I've been down the 6str road, and went back to 4 and 5str. I bought it because I was inspired by bands I only listened to, not played that style of music. I didn't play in any projects that needed that range, so I sold it at a big loss.

But like MikeW says "find your purpose", if that's what you need to express yourself, that's the reason to get it.
  16. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

+3 Everyone is really giving you good advise. When I was 20 years old, I could have gotten a Fodera for $1,200- 1,300 (before everyone knew about them). I settled for a Guild. It was good, but it was no Fodera. Two years later, I went back to look at the Foderas again. They were already $2,800- 3,200. That was totally out of my price range at that time. I kicked myself every time I picked up that Guild. And it really was a good bass.

And I agree that if you want a 6, get it and tell everyone else to keep playing their 5's.