1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

im confused, help, if u can

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by boamedt, Apr 4, 2009.

1. boamedt

boamedt Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    so i bought a series 6 gp12x thinking it was the tube pre amp. so i did research it but i found out there are two gp12x's, maybe three(?) one is not a tube, one is a pre amp and the other is a 400 watt head that says its a preamp.(?) i am pretty sure i got the non tube one, as i do not see a valve knob. i mean either of the two is acceptable that i dont care about, but does anyone know if the non tube one is 400wats or just a pre amp?

this is what i bought:
    tracegp12x.

this is the tube one:
    traceelliotgp12xphoto1t.

and this is an apparant 400w one:
    [​IMG]

2. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    I had the same pre amp the Valves are inside the case. What kind of knob are you looking for there is no control for the amount of tube in the circuit. Maybe I don't understand what you want to know. Is this a head pre amp/ poweramp?

3. dannster

dannster

Aug 20, 2000
    Seattle,WA
    the 400w one and yours look very similar but honestly the back panels will be more telling than the front.

do you have speaker outs with wattage ratings listed? or just signal outs?

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Banned Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    Hi boamedt.

Try this.

5. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    thanks. it seems most of the info on this preamp is not in english. i did find some tho.

and it only has line outs on the back

6. Nighttrain1127

Nighttrain1127 Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2004
    Near Worcester MA
    So it is a pre amp and the only way to tell if it has tubes is to take it out of the box take the top off and look then. There is no valve adjustment anywhere on this Pre-Amp. The Valve just amplifies the line signal from your bass so it is high enough level to drive your power amp. The level is controled by the Gain and output knobs.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    OK, pics #1 and #3 are the same preamp. They are 100% SS and do NOT have a tube preamp.

The #2 pic is of the later Gibson era GP12x preamp. It incorporates features from the SMX pre and earlier Series 6 GP12X pre. It does have one 12ax7 preamp tube.

The one you have (pics #1 & #3) with only line outs is the preamp only version and must be used with a power amp. Here is a link to the owner's manual that covers your preamp: Series 6 Look at the section titled "Rack Mounting Equipment" for your pre.

8. boamedt

Jul 2, 2008
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    thanks kelly lee