1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm confused

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by hernameisrio, Jan 25, 2012.

1. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    :oops:

Uh, so a couple of weeks ago I auditioned for this band and got this email:

First off, let me thank you for coming. The past few days have been quite busy, otherwise I would have contacted you sooner.
    Billy and I enjoyed meeting you and would like to work with you. You impressed us as a very enthusiastic and dedicated musician. I personally appreciate you being reasonably well-prepared with the material, considering the short notice and lack of sheet music.
    This is a serious project that is seeking a very unique sound and will be shopping for representation and A&R after the line-up for the band is settled. So, I want to not gloss over the fact this is going to be a lot of work.
    If you would be available to rehearse, to work on parts, you and I before Thursday, that would be good. I could provide you lead sheets (chord charts). Monday or Tuesday after 9?
    Again, sounded good! and Thank You!

So I was under the impression that I'd gotten the gig. I met up with the bandleader that week, got charts, went over some of the songs, then rehearsed with the band (it's just him and the drummer) the next day. Then the bandleader went out of town this week, so I emailed him about rehearsal and was told to come back for a second audition because they haven't made a final decision yet.

I don't have a problem with that, but I'm just confused (and I feel kinda stupid!) because I don't get why they didn't just tell me that in the first place instead of making it sound like I'd already gotten the gig.

I mean, is it just me, or didn't it seem like I had the gig? So what happened? Is this typical and I'm just overreacting? I'm trying to get my head on straight about this and be positive about it so I can go in tomorrow and kick @$$, but I feel sorta weird about it now. Either I'm really bad at reading other peoples' intentions and understanding if I actually have the job or not, or they weren't clear (and should've been...right?).

Discuss. :D

(Not to mention, this could not be a worse week for an audition, as I am moving and have to be out of my apartment by the 1st! Argh!)

2. "would like to work with you"

to me this phrase says you got the gig. you're being led on.

3. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Where is the emoticon for banging your head against the wall?

4. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    And why are people like this? I really thought I was pretty good at reading people and well, obviously I blew it with these guys.

(...ARGH! NO! MUST BE POSITIVE AND UPBEAT!! :D)

5. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I'm only speculating. I could be completely off-base. It's possible a second bassist has appeared on the scene and is also being considered at the last minute. I was once in a similar situation on a job interview in which it was a toss up between me and another person. The other person got the job. But it was a blessing in disguise since I think the place got blown away by a hurricane later on.

I would put in a full effort. If you get it fine, if you don't, there are other opportunities. If you weren't competent, you wouldn't be getting considered for this in the first place. Most people can't even tune a bass, much less play one. Come to think of it, some bassists can't tune a bass. My point is this can be made into something positive one way or another, no matter what happens. I honestly believe that.

6. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I hope so. I just feel kinda discouraged and this is already a really crazy week for me, so it's stressful to have to think about something like this on top of everything else. I don't know about your speculation though, because this was the bandleader's more recent email: "I want to let you know we have two bassists from the auditions that we liked, you being one of them." For a second, I even thought I was reading an older email thread or something. This whole thing is really weird. Weird people are...weird. :(

7. otherclef

otherclef

Aug 10, 2011
    Charleston
    +1

8. cracked_machine

cracked_machine

Jan 8, 2010
    Bristol
    Eh, go along again and see what happens. They might just be giving themselves some wiggle room to back away if something suddenly goes awry. Are you the first they auditioned? Makes you wonder if some previous guy turned out bad in some way.

Of course if they continue to d**k you about in the next few weeks then I would be more cynical about the whole arrangement.

9. Rocker949

Rocker949

Apr 20, 2005
    I hope my speculation is false and it may well be. However, like you said, it does seem weird. I think my main point is regardless of what happens, you aren't limited. You can try out for other bands. You can start your own band which is even better than the ones you've tried out for. The chances are still pretty good, though, that this audition for this particular band will work out.

10. Buxtehude

Buxtehude

Jan 5, 2011
    Sydney
    This.

11. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    That's the other thing...I'm also just genuinely curious at this point!

I guess tomorrow night I'll know what's what!

12. hrodbert696

hrodbert696 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

I'm confused by your confusion. There is not one line in the email that says you don't have the gig. On the contrary, it affirms that he DOES want to work with you and wants you to come to a "rehearsal" - not a second audition - to go over material. He warns you that it's going to be a lot of work, which sounds like he's more concerned about whether YOU are willing to commit to it. Looks to me like you're in. Congratulations!

13. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    Yeah, that's what I thought, but he said in another email that they weren't totally decided yet and that it was down to myself and one other person. So that's why I'm like, :confused: Instead of like :hyper:

14. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    Yeah thats my gut here. If I got that email I would think "I'm In." I hate when bands do this kind of thing and waste people's time. Tell me if I am the guy or not. If I were you I would want an answer and quit wasting time on this until I knew if i was the guy ...but that's me.

15. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I just don't appreciate having to spend so much time trying to read other peoples' minds on this stuff. I wish people would just get to the point. What, are they afraid of hurting my feelings or something? It's just kinda baffling. I'm a big fan of constructive criticism and of people who are direct with me because then at least I know where I stand. For all the emailing and Facebooking everybody does these days, it seems like nobody communicates. I have no patience for stuff like this. Especially not this week when I'm trying to organize and pack 3 and a half years of my life into boxes so I can move into a freakin ROOM, to save money, so that I can continue to work and play in the music industry without having to kill myself paying rent. And then last night, I walked out of the other project I'd been playing in, the one where the lead singer got drunk at the studio. I just decided, you know what, nobody's holding a gun to my head making me play with these people...and I deserve better. So I bailed. So now I'm just trying to see what's left and who's around. It is really weird that all of this drama happened in one day. Maybe it's a sign that I should just keep looking for other projects and stop making investments in people who aren't honest or fair with me. I'm gonna go over the songs again today as if I were auditioning all over again, and I'm gonna show up, and I'm gonna do well, but I'd be lying if I said I didn't have somewhat of a bad taste in my mouth about it now.

16. Bob DiGiacomo

Bob DiGiacomo

May 6, 2007
    NYC
    You said it was two guys in the band, right? I bet the guy who you were in contact with through email really liked you and kind of made the decision without really telling the other guy. Perhaps the other guy had a different player in mind, so it all if a sudden went from "you're in" to "please return for second audition."
    Also, it is not all that uncommon for a band to never tell you that you got the gig. The leader just tells you to show up for rehearsal and then, one by one, for gigs. This way the leader can swap out players easily because no one ever "has the gig." I think it is kind of ethically questionable, but I have played in more than one group like this.

17. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Have they even played a show yet? Sounds like someone with a degree in business trying to manage a band from that email, not a musician looking for a long term member. I can appreciate being professional and everything but unless you are going to get paid handsomely gigging and they are truly a gigging band with tons of dates lined up in advance, seems like overkill to me.

18. Musicians are....unusual.

19. hernameisrio

hernameisrio

Sep 27, 2011
    Berkeley, CA
    I've noticed!

I dunno. I guess it doesn't matter why they're being like this. What matters is how things go tonight and how everybody feels after that. So I should probably just treat it as a second audition and stop trying to figure out why it seemed so hard for them to tell me that in the first place.

20. Old Joe

Old Joe Guest

Apr 22, 2011
    Maybe I'm missing something but, why not ask, point blank, whether you're in or not?

Worst case they like your playing and you can leave the door open to fill in from time to time.