1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm considering buying Epiphone bass.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jominun, May 21, 2011.

1. Jominun

Jominun

May 21, 2011
    EB-3 or EB-0.

someone says that EB-0 is the best choice for beginner.
    (I'm almost beginner)

What should I do? Is there obviously difference between

EB-3 and EB-0?

2. nocontrols

nocontrols

Apr 2, 2011
    It's not about whether or not you're a beginner, it's about what size you like best. The EB-3 is longer in length than the EB-0. Also, the EB-3 has two pickups, which gives you a choice in what kind of tone you like best, where the EB-0 just has one pickup.

3. Lowner

Lowner

May 14, 2005
    Over Here
    I have the EB3. I like it for the two pickups. Much more tonal varirty than the EB-0. Two pick ups are better than one.

4. Labi

Labi

Jun 14, 2006
    Not always.

El Pelusa likes this.
  5. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Tell that to everyone who plays a P-Bass.

6. Play them both and decide for yourself, then buy the one you like best.

The post GOOD pictures in an NBD thread.

7. rouge127

rouge127

Apr 2, 2007
    Columbus OH
    I have found something to like about every bass I have owned.....except one. I could not find anything good about the epiphone EB-3 bass I had. The neck dive was atrocious and the pickups had no character to them. Do yourself a favor and look into Squire basses for your first bass. The classic vibe P or classic vibe jazz are great basses that are not much more than what an epiphone would cost you.

8. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I don't believe that an Epiphone EB0 or EB3 would be the "best choice for a beginner". I'd go with a CV or VM Squier P Bass.
    If you want Epiphone and/or short scale, I'd suggest an Allen Woody. It's not a "copy" of a Gibson, and is a fine, good looking, good playing, good sounding, unique instrument.

9. DeanT

DeanT Send lawyers, guns and money...

Just curious why you don't think an Epiphone is a good choice for a beginner.

Certainly there's nothing wrong with a Squier as a beginner bass, but an Epiphone would do the job as well.

10. Or my Warwick.

11. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    I didn't say it wasn't a good choice. I said I didn't believe it was the "best choice". I think a Fender style instrument would be a better choice.
    For short scale, I also think the Allen Woody is a much better bass than the Epiphone EB series.

12. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    You can add a bridge pup to a EB-0. You can NEVER get rid of the neck dive from a EB-3

13. Been playing for 20 years, just got an Epi EB-0. It's a hoot. I hate the stock strings, the tension is insane, so I tuned it down a few steps until it felt right to me. Still trying to figure out what string sI want to use to tune it back up to standard.

The EB-3 has a thicker neck, feels clumsy. I like a nice thin neck. The Epi EB-0 has a thinne rneck than the EB3, or current Gibson "SG" bass offerings. While decideng what to get, I played numerous Epi EB0,3, and Gibson reissues...the Epi EB-0 felt the best. It has much lower output than the new Gibson versions, but really doesn't sound too different. Couldn't justify the extra $1000 for the prettier Gibson. For variety of sound.. the tone knob dos make a difference, and I've found that where you pick/pluck/whatever has a bigger effect on the sound on this bass than on some others I've owned.

14. I play a P bass, have a hell of a nice one in fact. I prefer more than one pickup personally.

15. Jazzbassguy

Jazzbassguy

Jul 18, 2009
    Florida

Yep, I agree - For a 200 dollar bass, my Epi EB-0 sounds great and feels great. The tone knob is very usable for getting different tones out of the Sidewinder humbucker. And yes, love the thin neck!

EB-0_DSCN3101PB.

EB-0_DSCN3103PB.

EB-0_DSCN3109PB.

16. A P Bass has 2 pick-ups, they are just mounted REALLY close to each other...

17. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Um not really. It's still just one pickup. It's 2 coils wired together that don't (normally) work individually. No one would call any other humbucker "2 pickups"

18. iamthebassman

iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Austin,Texas
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
    Your choice is(and I've owned both)
    EB-O: one tone, hear it before you buy.
    EB-3: serious neck-dive, play it before you buy.

19. "I'm picking up a little sarcasm"

"I should hope so, I'm laying it on pretty thick."

I was just joking, man.

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Perhaps, but not THESE Epiphones.

I don't think I've ever heard of anyone who got the EB-0 who didn't regret it. There are apparently undocumented differences in them, including different pickups, one really bad and the other even worse. The worst ones came in the beginner-pack with the even more atrocious amp.

They are also short-scale which if nothing else is a nuisance when trying to find decent cheap strings that actually fit, which you will have to do if these come with the usual crap stainless roundwound fret-killers.

If you're going to learn to play, do it with a conventional bass.

Normal scale, passive electronics, conservative design.