1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm considering genre-jumping - stop me or push me off the cliff.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by edpal, Oct 2, 2013.

1. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Ok, I'm a 53 yr. old bass player, still feel pretty healthy, feel like I play better than ever other than shear endurance (maybe) :bassist:. I'm between bands and all I am getting offered is worn-out guys my age and older, playing the music we listened to when we were 20-something. Yesterday I went and tried out with, and was asked to come back to a Christian rap-rock band fronted by a 29 yr. old. Think Rage Against Machine, Chii Peppers, Limp Bizkit. The other guys in band are between lead's age and mine. I'm intrigued - I love the energy and vibe, the guys all seem cool/nice and have a fairly formed game plan. I feel like a poser since it hasn't been my genre of playing but I like most of their music for the energy and swagger. Plus I think the breadth of my music exposure and playing put me far ahead of the game compared to some who have limited themselves. It could be a great mash-up of rap & rock! What do you think - should I go for it or stay in my genres of most competence? Thanks!

2. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Only you know that, but judging by your post, I'd say .... go go go and don't look back :)

3. I'd say absolutely go for it. Expand, grow, enjoy.

4. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    If you are in the financial position that money is no object with regards to music, then go for it! If you are depending on music for the rent, not so much.

5. Lo-E

Lo-E

Dec 19, 2009
    Brooklyn, NY
    Go for it. What's the worst that can happen? You decide it wasn't the right move after all and you move on? Nothing lost there, just a learning experience. Do it!

6. The Celestials

The Celestials

Jul 1, 2013
    Delaware
    Its good to get out of your comfort zone in all places in life. :hyper:

I have found that when you throw a musician who is strictly one genre into a new one, something very cool happens. Many very successful musicians today came from one background and are playing in another.

It doesn't have to be a total shift where you just leave behind your past style, but seeing it as another step in your musical journey is a good thing. Music isn't really a destination afterall :bassist:

7. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Thanks TBers. I just copied their CD to my flash drive, am heading into the practice area in an hour with pencil, paper and YOUR wind against my back.

Ironically I had talked to another guy on the phone yesterday morning who was so doom and gloom on original music, straying beyond the local area in scope or fan base. I felt like I was talking to bluewine and it was dragging me toward the land of "give up before you even try." Somehow I had the clarity of mind to TELL him I was trying out for another band. Dude had been foot-dragging me for 3 weeks when I had pretty much aced the chuga-chuga classic pop-rock he sent me after a few hours of organized woodshedding....I can do [most] Pat Benatar in my sleep (although, would be better to be awake :D ).

8. edpal

edpal Banned

Oct 3, 2007
    Exactly what I am thinking - I'm bringing everything from the classical piano of my childhood, the upright bass of my teens and everything else with me. May not need it all but it's there if I do. God am I psyched now!

9. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Go for it..if nothing else its a learning experience.
    We gotta face it..music has changed (dont tell TB that tbough) ;)
    So we either..change with it..or continue to do what we've been doing..and expect different results. Nost of the people that go to bars there days do not want to hear music from the 70s..(yes I know ther are exceptions..biker crowds and all.. but IMO the majorit of 20-30 suttins do NOT want oldies.)

Ymmv

10. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Trying a genre change can be a positive thing - and broadening your musical experience is never a bad thing... I'm 50, and have been gigging for over 30 years - I joined my 1st ever country act at the beginning of summer, going from modern rock to top 40 country, and it's worked out very well... I've never been busier as a player, and am having alot of fun, too...

Best of luck, and I hope it works out for you...

- georgestrings

11. Never be afraid to jump ship. I used to be a devout metal head. I decided to give other genres a try after a "few" band meltdowns. I've been very happy with the other genres.

12. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    i don't think feeling like a poser should ever stop you from playing a different kind of music. if you're having fun you're not a poser. if you're playing music you don't like every night for money then you are a poser, and it probably wont be very good either. tell us how that first practice went.

13. xk49w

xk49w

Apr 13, 2008
    Oops. You might want to look to that. Thinking you are fundamentally better than your band mates is not a good way to start a New Band Experience. Oh sh!t - here I am talking about my band situation :meh:.

14. Teacher

Teacher

May 3, 2012
    Do it! Try it. See how it works. I never feel quite so alive as when I'm a bit out of my comfort zone. You can always quit, but there's nothing worse than a "coulda."

15. I don't think he was talking about his band mates, I think he meant musicians in general who religiously play one genre only.

16. Lord knows, it's not anything I would want to be forced to listen to, but if you found it fun and interesting, why in the world would you even consider not trying it out?

17. Lobomov

Lobomov

Aug 2, 2013
    Btw Edpal ... We expect a trip report :)

18. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    I am the most un-Rage Against The Machine- looking old guy ever...and I SLAY that stuff when we perform it live (bass and lead vox, I) and the crowd just absolutely loves it.
    Go and do not look back!

19. Polfuste

Polfuste

Sep 10, 2010
    South France
    Go !
    I played "killing in the name of" in my previous band. In first, it was weird to me to shout some "f..k you i won't do what you tell me ". But after two or three times, that was really fun and gave us some f..kin'energy ! i lost 20 years :)

20. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Age is just a number and I find it amusing but get annoyed at the same time when bands are concerned about it. I am also 53. About 10 years ago, I was in a band that had a 52 year old guitar player, a 35 year old keyboard player, me (43 at the time) and an 18 year old drummer. He was a great player and more mature than most people twice his age.

Look at the backing bands of many of today's pop stars. Most of the musicians range in age from late 20s to mid 60s.