1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm considering my first Ric...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by emblymouse, Jun 24, 2007.

1. emblymouse

emblymouse exempt Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    I've been playing 30 years and never owned a Rickenbacker. Thunderbirds, Laklands, Jazz's (not P's), even Hofners. Everything but. Suddenly, I hear the siren song of a Black 4003 calling me. Mysteriously beautiful and unique...
    Ric owners, tell me what I have been missing please. I realize I've got some stereotyping going on when I think of Ric basses. Do any of you guys play predominently fingerstyle on yours? Use flats? Slap? Don't want to sound like Chris Squire? Broaden my world please. :help:

2. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Rick player for well over a decade, mostly fingerstyle with some slap thrown in.

Playing a Rick won't automatically make you sound like Chris Squire. Just ask Sir Paul. :)

3. basspraiser

basspraiser Jammin for the Lamb! Supporting Member

Dec 8, 2006
    Chicago - NW Burbs
    emblymouse:

I have a 1989 RIC 4003 and it is the only "non-Lakland" bass that is still in my collection (and it will probably be the only one for quite a long time as well!).

I am sure you have heard the sound....very unique...have you played one? the feel (at least to me) is very different than anything else as well. the neck is REALLY thin - thinner even than most Jazz basses I have played...

I am not sure about "slapping" a RIC....they are really not designed for that....just great Low Down rock sound. Contrary to what others say, I think there is quite a bit of variability (but it still always sounds like a RIC and nothin' else...which is a good thing in my book!).

if you do not have your eye on one in particular - be warned - the wait time for new ones is 1-2 years (from what i hear)....get a 4003 - that way you have the option to use the RIC-O-SOUND feature IF you want.....I like Rotosound rounds on mine.....I have tried flats, but do not like them as much...

I personnally feel that "older ones" (i.e. 15+ years old) sound better than the new ones - but that is just me...

have fun and good luck!

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jan 22, 2021