Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Convinced...DP for me

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jpwinters, Sep 26, 2002.

1. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I was going to get a Ciruss 6, but after hearing all the reviews of DP I think I'll get one of those.

His prices are great.

I'm puting together some ideas;

Standard body shape
    #2 Style headstock
    Purpleheart top and back
    Walnut core body
    3 piece maple/purpleheart/maple neck
    Rosewood fretboard
    Purpleheart headstock overlay
    Gold hardware

Maybe a thin piece of maple seperating the walnut core from the purpleheart top and back

Just trying to figure out what type of electronics to get.

What do you all think. Any ideas

2. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Well, I don't mean to be rude, but if you have no vision on how you want it to be other than from a pure aestetichal viewpoint - maybe you're better off getting a production or semi-custom bass? Or one you can try first?

Making a fully custom instrument is more than just deciding on looks. E.g. neck profile and fretboard radius are two important factors in how you will experience the bass's playability. What looks cool in photos and on paper might not be what feels good in your hands. Or sounds good, for that matter.

Regarding pickups & electronics, at the very least you should check out different pickup models and configurations on already built basses, and learn the differences in them. That way you might find a pickup and electronics configuration that could blow you away. How do you want it to sound? You should have some idea, right? I mean, you own a vairety of basses, do you want influences of any of their tones or someting completely different?

The possibilities are endless, but the responsibility is huge. I recommend lots of research. But I don't know, maybe you aren't as picky as some of us others are? ;)

3. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    As far as the neck profile, I was thinking about the same dimensions as the Ibanez BTB 406 with the same string spacing. I want it to have a nice warm tone, not muddy, but I do want a little punch to it.

4. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    My advice would be to do your research before having Dave build you a bass. Don't rush it, and figure out what exactly it is you are looking for in a bass. From what several people here have said, what looks good on paper doesn't always turn into a good instrument.

And if you can get exactly what you are looking for in a "production bass" such as the Peavey Cirrus, your money would probably be better spent on something like that. If nothing on the market seems to offer what you are looking for, then give Dave a call. I am not trying to discourage you from buying a bass from Dave, I am just saying you should really weigh out your options before taking the chance on spending a lot of money on something you might not like that well. Or, it might be the best bass you have ever/will ever play. That is a chance you will have to decide if you are willing to take.;)

5. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    I must agree on Ryan and Oysterman... I took a big chance on when I got my Salas Custom 4.. but my god.. it was well worth taking that chance :)

6. Suga

Suga

Sep 26, 2002
    I used to be obsessed with perfect intonation. There is nothing such as perfect. It's ok to be aware of things but not let them consume you entirely. Both you loose track of what playing is all about, having fun, playing with feel.

7. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Follow your dream and listen to what your heart and guts tell you:D

8. Suga

Suga

Sep 26, 2002
    I say take a chance with it. It can't sound like crap if it's well made, it may not be exactly what you were expecting but hey how else you gonna find out what you want unless you try things. If he wants this then get it if it looks good after all you can't try any custom intrument before you buy it even though you get the same wood there will always be inconsistencies in wood and quality of build. Go for it.

9. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    AMEN to that:D

10. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    ...but go carefully!
    Do some good research on available series production models, so you know what you don't want! In terms of radii, weight, balance, string spacing, tuner placement,,,whatever.
    Then you figure out what sound you want, and start talking with Dave.
    Let these phases take its time! It does take time...but is veery important - since you're not building yourself;) !

Finally, a non-important input: how 'bout purpleheart for the fretboard as well? It is a good fretboard material, even for fretless... And an all purple front would look very special:cool:

11. jpwinters

jpwinters Guest

Aug 22, 2002
    Norfolk, Va
    I was thinking of going with purpleheart for the fretboard. I'm still considering it. Plus, with the Neck through laminates showing on the body, the front won't be all purpleheart.

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    After reading the reviews, I've concluded that a DP is the rich man's Wishnevsky. Oh, all right. Upper middle class.

13. barroso

barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    Italia
    i'd prefer a Cirrus....

14. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Ouch! That's harsh even for you, Munji!

:)

brad cook

15. odie

odie Supporting Member

Munji- I wont be surprised if someone steals that line from you.

16. odie

odie Supporting Member

Maybe we'll see a

DP vs Wishnevsky poll.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I doubt it. DP is way, way out of Wishnevsky's league. This is just a dumb joke getting out of hand.

[​IMG]
    Dave's work

[​IMG]
    Wishnevsky's work

18. odie

odie Supporting Member

Gabu- My bad I should have put a ;) in there to get the point across.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    [​IMG]

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... Looks like you are easily turned on. :p