I'm convinced.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by bass1, Dec 12, 2004.

1. bass1

Dec 11, 2004
    I just want to let you all know.
    I absolutely believe that Dean Markley makes the best strings for us bass players.
  2. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    for you as a bass player maybe.

I've tried a few different styled sets myself and changed them ALL out as fast as I could.

no thanks, you can keep them!

3. Asaf

Jun 9, 2003
    i like the SOLIDBASS sets...great strings...
    tried blue steel - hated them.
  4. After trying more than 14 sets of different strings I've settled on Blue Steels. Perfect for me.
  5. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    You jumped off the DR bandwagon? Why's that? What makes them better than DR's to you?
  6. I really liked Fat-beams and Hi-Beams. Blue Steels give me punch and brightness and a special warmth I haven't heard in any other string, that sounds like adding a little Jazz Bass warmth to my Stingray. There's a midrange complexity that brings out every aspect of the bass, and at the same time there's a very good lo-end the FBs and HBs just didn't have. Lo-Riders didn't really do the trick for me. To plain sounding.
    I use the heaviest gauge of BS 50-128. Took a little getting used to, but it really pays off, especially in the studio. Harmonics and punch are better. I still rank DR very high, and might go back at some time, but for now it's Blue Steels. (btw I've tried every DR string except nickle LRs and the coated strings.)
    If you like Lo-Riders you should check out BS someday. Only trade off is how long they last. I think DR is a little better in that respect. But the alcohol does the trick every time.
  7. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    blue steel - hated them.
    DR low rider steel-love them
  8. Why?
  9. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI

Thanks Carl-Anton,

Your assessment of DR's have been right on with my thoughts on them. I am due for new strings and I have an extra set of LR's, I think before I put them on I will try out the BS's. I play Spectors but both have active pups so I hope they react the same on my bass, better midrange and lows with a splash of jazz tone, i'll take that any day.

How's the tension campared to LR's? Actually the high tension IMO is getting a little tiresome due to my playing over the bridge pup more often.
  10. Actually I think the tension of the BS 50-128 set is closer to the LR 45-125. The BS 45-128 is a little less tension than LR 45-125 as I remember it, so you might want those. They're called mediumlights.

Let me hear what you think once you try out the Blue Steels.
  11. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    I don’t like blue steels because they die really fast like one rehearsal and they sound dull.
    The Dr low rider steels on the other hand sound tight and punch and last a long time.
    Another bass string I like is SIT’s rock brights they last along time and if you like a tight feeling string this is the best.
  12. Thanks HMZ :)
  13. RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    Do these strings really die after one jam? How long do they retain the tonal qualities? DR's LR SS I say last a good 3 months of heavy playing, how do these compare?
  14. I think there's just as many ways to pronounce a string dead as there are bassplayers. My experience is that Blue Steels don't hold up quite as well as DRs, but pretty good.

To me it's more a question of how the string sounds. If it's a string with lots of mids like Fat-Beams, Slowounds (R.I.P.) or Blue Steels the initial (an invietible for all strings) loss of high end, will sooner make the string sound dead because the prominent mids will obscure the highs. Some call it dead strings, some call it breaking in or warming up. So if you go for the brand new mother-of-all-zingyness zing I would say choose a string with less mids like your LRs of Hi-Beams. If you like your strings to break in a little and then hold their tone, Blue Steels should be fine.

But I don't play the strings untill they go completely dead. I play them for 2-4 weeks soak them overnight i ethanol, while putting on a new or refreshed set. I like my strings pretty zingy. This works for me. Maybe it'll work for you, maybe not :)