1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm curious to know if someone has been suspended/banned

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Basschair, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I'm wondering if there's anyway to tell without contacting that person or asking a moderator, or if I should just be content in my ignorance :eyebrow: ...

2. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    search their display name and see if it says banned as their user title.

3. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca

Well, I can scratch off the banned possibility. No way to tell if they're suspended?

4. AuG

AuG

May 22, 2005
    Fort Collins, CO
    I would be content in my ignorance, if I were you. :)

AuG

5. Under their display name it says banned, and the only way I've known for how long is the moderator post underneath it. "See you in 3 days, _______" Or 2 years. So it should say something.

6. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    If by suspended you mean temporarily banned, then no matter how long the duration of the suspension it will say banned below their username, provided that said person is in fact banned. Some just last longer than others.

This is what I've noticed anyways.

You could always just search their post history, I think you have to post something stupid to get banned, and usually a mod comments on it.

7. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    If it's really bad or too inflamatory, they will often delete it and in many recent incidents, it seemed like the Mods did a great job of NOT advertising the fact that someone got the boot. Only the few who saw the posts before they were deleted knew what was gone and who's user ID to check. I also think in one case there was someone who was banned that you couldn't tell from the profile.

8. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    in some cases they won't show up in a search if they are banned

9. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    That's true too, there was a case recently of a user who what wiped off the forum completely, forget the name tho...

10. wdinc01

wdinc01

Nov 19, 2005
    Jacksonville, FL
    Wow. I didn't think people actually got banned on here. I mean I havn't been on as long as some other people on here, but I've always seen civilized people here. Maybe it's something to do with the off-topic section...

Have many people actually been banned on here? I mean call me a bit noobish, but I really do find this alittle amazing. I used to work as a moderator for a Runescape fansite (it's an MMORPG), and we'd always get people doing something stupid, but most of the people were teenagers, so that was understandable (I guess).

Heh. I think I need to go to bed.

11. Maybe all the uncivilized folk get banned?

12. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I'm surprised people haven't suspended me. Everyone here hates me.

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Oak Park, MI
    It's not hate, it's just "tough love"!:D

14. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I hear ya brotha.

15. In my time here I've only seen a select few banned from the site. Beyond that, the mods probably just take the other unciviled people out back to rough'em up so the rest of us don't see.

16. MJ5150

MJ5150 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Not me. I like your photo threads. Besides, you can't be banned because no one likes you.

-Mike

17. Mike Money

Mike Money In Memoriam

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    They are always out to get me. I always win.

18. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member In Memoriam

There have been periods where many people have been banned - the really serious trolls usually get wiped from the face of TB and it's usually only those on temporary bans who appear with "banned" instead of "registered user" or whatever...?

There was a period of time where dozens of people came over from another forum in a kind of "forum war" attempt to disrupt TB and got wiped out eventually....

19. I was banned once.

No, wait. I was tanned once.

20. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    You're cool, dude. I'd let you buy me a beer if I passed through Detroit.
    :)