Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Damned for sure!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Lo end PUNCH, Aug 25, 2005.

1. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Man I'm sure that I will roast in Talkbass hell for this but, well, I just hate j basses, I think they're outdated and just represent old design concepts, now first of all I know there are ones amongst you that are seeing red right now, but I got super excited when I heard Ken Smith was going ot be doing a more affordable line of basses, but why a J bass clone?? why not a Smith bass design?? When a friend first got a pic of KSD, I ran like a bat outta hell to his house to see it. When I DID see it, I was crushed 'AAAAARRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!! ANOTHER J BASS COPY??????? Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! I know the bass sounds good, but I'm sure it was for economic reasons. :meh: This is in no way a slam to Mr. Smith because I love his basses, HIS basses. The jazz bass is probably the most popular shape there is but If youv'e seen one you've seen them all, not much you can do to 'em. IMO. Now, let the roasting begin :bag:

2. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I agree with you 100%!

I mean look at this Jazz bass...The design is so 1960...

[​IMG]

Why can't luthiers be forward thinking and do something interesting.

3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    LOL, If you were looking at its shadow on the wall maybe hahaha, Leave it up the Sheldon to shake things up a lil' bit. The basic design is STILL a J bass though.

4. konfishily

konfishily

Jan 24, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Who makes that one? I loved the fanned fretboard.

Oh yea Low End punch, everyone has their own opinion. Some people are old fashioned, some are ignorant. :)

5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    So what do you like?

6. Maybe the j-shape is "commom domain", ( ? ), now and anyone can use it. I'm thinking that the other styles, have some sort of copywrites involved. Plus, if Mr. Smith wants to put out a more affordable line, I'm sure he doesn't want to put himself out of business by selling his same design at a cheaper price and then not sell the others at all. Would have been nice if he did a new "unique" design for his more affordable line, though...

(By the way, I don't think you'll go to hell for this, just purgatory for a little while.)

7. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY

It's one of Sheldon Dingwall's.

8. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    ^And by this you mean????

9. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    In hell they only have Jazz basses and old SVT stacks.

Burn, baby...Burn!

10. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I don't hate Jazz basses, I just hate the fact that there are more J clones out there than say, P clones.

That J (Dingwall?) is nice. Nothing wrong with the 1960's look. IMO it's updated a bit by the angled bridge, pickups and fanned frets.

11. dougjwray

dougjwray

Jul 20, 2005
    Every bass looks like a Fender bass for the same reason all pencils look alike: They're perfect!
    :eyebrow:

12. BurningSkies

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Nah,

Its because the 'Fender Bass' has become the popular design paradigm for our 'generation' much in the way that the Martin dreadnaught is for acoustics, etc.

13. whoa... what are these fanned frets about?... anyone care to explain?... surely the notes would be all over the shop? im freaking out jerry!!!!!!!

14. I too, used to despise Fenders (and look-alikes), and those who played them. I also though they were outdated. I have since come around. Now I love them. I play a J clone as my main bass now.

I have to disagree with you on this point. I don't think it was to keep cost down at all. I think it was simply a design that they knew would sell. J basses are the single most replicated basses for a reason, they sell.

The thing about a classic is, it's a classic! hahaha The design has stood the test of time, and only grown in popularity. How many other bass designs can say that? Not very many.

15. Ego

Ego

Jan 10, 2004
    speaking of the fender J in particular, i hated them... and then i played one with Basslines pickups. the shape itself doesn't bother me, but the stock singlecoils they come with are trash. i was a devout P-Bass plaer until i tried the Jazz Bass 24, now i own that and a P-Bass V

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Exactly the opposite, actually. They're there to help with intonation and a more even string response across the neck. There are many, many, many threads on this. Search Dingwall and/or Fanned Frets, and the answer will come up pretty quickly.

Hrmn...seems like we need another sticky for this.

17. I too, AM sort of tired of seeing J clones, But what I would like to see, Is alot more Pbasses, clones or not, With no pickguards and A P-J set up. Basically I want Fender to re-release the Jazz bass special, Or these other Fender clone companies(Sadowsky, etc...) To make an active or passive version like that, At an AFFORDABLE price.

18. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    Agree with LowEnd on this one,

I dispise the j Shape

But i kind of like that dingwall... alot. eep.

your making me doubt myself now, P basses are the most copied bass design in the UK, and i used to dispise them, but i do fancy an all black one with black pup and bridge cover.

19. Theshortlist_to

Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    what i dont understand about that Dingwall is that the distance from the nust to the saddle between the E and G string must be about an inch difference, surely then this is altering the scale?

I understand that 34" scale basses arent always dead on 34" due to saddle alteration and intonation,but this seems like a big difference E being 34" and G being 33" ??? anyone explain to me that?