1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm debating between....

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by brandonie, Dec 11, 2006.

1. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

A Thumb Fretless or a Pedulla penta buzz, I've never played a thumb fretless, but I have a fretted one and love it and I just played a penta buzz and love that. Hmmmm, decisions, decisions!! Both are very hard to find used! Any suggestion. WarwickThumbBolt-onFretless5stClose.
    pedulla.

2. depends on price = pedulla
    depends on coolness = warwick

tough call...

3. brandonie

brandonie Adult Film Music At It's Best!!!!

Well, I decided to go with the warwick!! I found a used fretless 5er for 975 shipped. I think I'll love it. I love the feel of my fretted thumb so I know it will be comfortable for me, it has basslines installed and he's sending me the MEC's and the pot too, so I can decide what works best for me.

4. scuba steve

scuba steve

Dec 28, 2005
    Hillsboro, Tx
    tell me how you like those basslines. im think of putting some in my bolt-on thumb. yeah, i bet that was a hard choice. those basses feel and sound totally different. but once your bitten by a thumb, i guess its hard to ignore the sickness.

5. Joe BassPlayer

Joe BassPlayer Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Not even close IMO. While the Warwick fretless basses can have some nice growl, the chunky neck and unbalanced feel of the instrument is a bit of a turnoff.

The absolute 2 best sounding and playing fretless basses that I've ever played are the Pedulla buzz bass and the Roscoe w/diamondwood finger board.

In a word, Mwah!;)

6. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Sounds like you are a Warwick guy, enjoy your Thumb!

7. Madness

Madness

Jul 27, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I would have made the same decision. I wish this town had a music store...

8. I'd do the Thumb for 3 reasons:

1. It would keep consistancy in your overall tone.
    2. I've played a fretless Thumb (BO) that sounded amazing. I'd buy one if I had the cash/need for a fretless.
    3. The Pedulla PentaBuzz basses are (IMHO) some of the ugliest basses ever made. I don't consider the Thumb basses the prettiest on the block, but it takes quite a bass to take the PentaBuzzes in horrible looks.

EDIT: Come to find you already went with the Wick. Congradulations!

9. steve4765630

steve4765630

Feb 27, 2006
    Your opinion alone, indeed. IMHO the Pentabuzz is the best fretless on the market and one of the most recorded fretless basses of all time. Not only that, but is the most comfortable bass I've ever played. Looks should be, 100% of the time, secondary to tone. Good thing the Thumb has great tone too. You'll be happy with it I'm sure.