Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm doing the "I got a new bass" dance

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bman, Dec 17, 2000.

1. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    OK, we've had a change of plans... I was supposed to get a Fender Geddy Lee signature Jazz as a Christmas present. But my wife suggested we take a drive down to Guitar Center just to look around before we definitely settle on the Jazz. You know, do some homework/research. Check prices, play around...
    Well, other than Fenders, which I've seen plenty of, they mainly had a wall of Warwicks. I always thought Warwicks were out of my price range.
    For the heck of it I tried out a Streamer Standard 4-string. (The 'Vettes and Thumbs ARE out of my price range.)
    Well, I fell in love with it. I'm a veteran of the cheap bass wars, so this felt really nice to me. I loved the almost 'unfinished' feel the neck has. It was the 'Nirvana Black' color, sort of a transparent black stain. It had one nice ding on the side, and the strings died some time in 1998, but it felt great and still sounded very, very nice. It had a nice growl to it, which is what I've always loved about J-basses.
    To make a really long story short, I drove home without it Friday night, hit the Talkbass forums and looked for reviews and stuff. We went back the very next morning, talked him down on the price and we walked out of there with it.
    I got the Warwick Streamer Standard for $650, but with a padded gig bag (they didn't have any hard cases in stock,) stupid Massachusetts sales tax (can you tell I'm from New Hampshire?) it came to about $700. They also threw in a set of yellow label Warwick strings.
    I realize the Streamer Standard is the cheapo Warwick model, but at that price it seemed like a nice deal. Plus I fell in love with the neck. I have small hands, and I seemed to have absolutely no problems reaching for frets on this bass, where I do have to really watch myself on my old MIM Jazz.
    My wife kept ribbing me, saying I just wanted the Warwick name because it satisfied my 'snobby bass forum tastes.'
    But boy, I'm loving this bass.
    Now I've got to convince her I need a new rig... That's going to take some effort.
    ;-)

2. congrats!!

I´ll buy it of you for 10 bucks! ok? ;)

how come I can´t get a bass for christmas?! :mad: :p

3. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I made my wife read the bass for xmast thread....I'm still have hope. ;)

4. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    i keep asking my girlfriend for a bass... i haven't seen any yet... damn you people and your christmas basses

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i might be getting myself a bass for christmas from ebay. another conklin :D depending on how well the auction goes :D

6. furtim

furtim

Dec 12, 1999
    Boston, MA, USA
    Damn, JT. You're insatiable!

7. congrads, being from Taxachusetts all i have to say is that it could have been worse, you could have bought it in Maine. you must have got it in the GC in the peabody area.

its so lonley in the state of Maine.:D

8. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    sweet. is it the one with one or 2 pick ups?.. ive been thinking about after ig et a new bass (probably a pedulla) that i would buy a standard streamer 5 string, and replace the pick ups and electronics with barts, because everything else on the bass is perfect.... hope u like it

9. is there really a "i got a new bass dance" ?
    how do you do it?

10. bman

bman

Dec 4, 2000
    Sandown, N.H., USA
    The dance is really pretty easy. It's the thong leotard part that makes it so impressive.

11. Is that before or after the TalkBass Bikini Wax?:eek:

[Edited by Hambone on 12-17-2000 at 07:11 PM]

12. poseidon

poseidon

Dec 17, 2000
    yeah, the new bass dance.....isn't that the Les Claypool thing where he stomps his feet? You know.....the big honkin' exaggerated thing he does...that's the new bass dance...

13. gee, when I mentioned my Streamer STD I got a bunch of crap about how bad it is

I think it's great for the price range (got mine for $550) particularly if you're only a casual player like myself.

14. one more week and i'll be dancing the dance!

15. CamMcIntyre

CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    USA
    I did the dance yesterday. My Ashbory was in. i noticed there was a little string splitting on the g so i took it off, when i went to put it back on it sprang back & gave me a sizable welt on my thigh. Ouchie. thats all

16. Mo' bass

Mo' bass

May 4, 2000
    Netherlands
    Congrats on your Warwick! Keep on grooving.

17. i thought the new bass dance was like the benecian fish dance
    darn

18. I'm also doing the Dance. I got my new Warwick Corvette Standard 5 a few hours ago. I LOVE IT!!! So I know how you feel "bman". Nothing is better compared to get a new bass! That's the best there is!

Merry Christmas, everyone!!!

19. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Of course, that doesn't beat Brad J or John T!:D

Got a Fender Geddy Lee Jazz and a Pedulla Rapture J2 5 string.

But I'm getting withdrawal! It's been almost 4 months since I got a new bass.

But, sometime in March or April, that Pedulla PentaBuzz should get me dancing again!:p

Enjoy your Warwick, bman!

Not my cup of tea, but if it pleases your hands and your ears, that's all that matters!

20. air_leech

air_leech

Sep 1, 2000
    Israel

hey Bman! enjoy the new bass, Warwicks are the bomb!