I'm downsizing, need some advice

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by jive1, Nov 4, 2004.

1. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have come to the realization that I have more basses than I need or is practical. So I'm planning on selling off a bunch of them and buying 2-3 high end basses and/or an EUB.

Here's what I'm planning on keeping:
    Warwick Fortress MM
    Warwick Fortress 1
    Warwick Corvette STD
    Essex P Bass (Maple fb, SD QP pups)
    Essex P Bass (Rosewood fb, 60s RI pups)

Here's the rest:
    Cort Artisan NA4
    Electra Rickenbacker Copy
    1978 BC Rich Mockingbird
    Warwick Fortress Flashback
    Warwick Corvette Proline 5 w/ SD Basslines and STC preamp
    Warwick Corvette Std Fretless
    Spector NS-2A
    Brice Douglas 5 String - thinking about getting a fret job, and upgrading the electronics
    Jay Turser Hofner Copy
    Brice HXB406 6 String
    Ibanez ATK300
    Ibanez SR800 loaded w/ EMGs
    Essex J Bass (rosewood fb, 60s RI pups)
    Essex J Bass (maple fb, DiMarzio DP123s)
    Essex fretless J Bass (rosewood fb, 60's RI pups)
    Steinberger Spirit XT

Trying to figure out what to sell, and what to buy. I'm leaning toward getting a Sadowsky Jazz w/ a rosewood board and a Lakland 44-02. I'd love to get a killer fretless with piezos, but I'm not sure what models have it. A nice five string would be cool, but I don't play a 5 much anymore. I'm looking for a versatile bass that's easy to play. If you guys have any advice, I'm all ears.
  2. Sweet jibbley jibblits THAT IS ALOT OF BASSES!!!!

Dont sell'em Give them away.... give 1 or 2 to me, and I'll be your best freind forever!!! :p
  3. Ralphdaddy

Ralphdaddy Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2003
    Chicago, Illinois
    Holy ****!!!!! Suddenly I don't feel like such a gearhound! Man, you've got a lot of cool stuff... I wish I could take that Proline 5 off your hands, I love those basses. I'd say your plan sounds pretty good, keeping your nice Warwicks and getting a Sad and a Lakland, that's cool stuff man, good work. I bet the wife is happy, my mom and girlfriend are always givin me the business and I've three electrics!!!
  4. Dear Jive1,

Give them ALL to charity.

Your Friend,
    "Charity" :D
  5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I really recommend that you do some serious selling. Don't get in a hurry and sell of just about all of your basses and get a genuine high-end bass like a Sadowsky or USA Lakland, or some other boutique bass. Either keep one you already have or buy a nice backup and get back to simply playing.
  6. I think a nice Sadowsky J 4 or 5er would be a cool, versatile bass to get. A 5 could be more versatile, but if you'd rather get a 4 string, it wouldn't be a bad choice either.
  7. Do a good deed Jive1. Make someone or some people happy :D
    Give a bass, receive a house in heaven :D :D
  8. I want that flashback. But I am warning you. If you sell it to me, I am having it defretted.
  9. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    Jive1, I just bought that OLP off ya, but that NS-2A...:drool:. Can I have dibs on it?

BTW, I find it pretty amazing, you keeping those cheap SX basses around with those high end ones for sale?
  10. xyllion

xyllion Commercial User

Jan 14, 2003
    San Jose, CA, USA
    Owner, Looperlative Audio Products
    Show off :D

Yea, I don't know how you guys do it. I'm at 5 basses and I can't seem to give them all the playing time that they deserve.
  11. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Yeah guys I know I have too many basses. :bag:

I'm not giving them away though, I still need a way to pay for the Lakland and Sadowsky that I'm GASing for. Maybe I have some chores around the house that need to get done................ :D

As far as the SX P basses that are keepers. I love the sound of a P bass, but hate the way they play. So rather than spend $1000 on a P bass, I only spent $150. Plus they sound awesome with the new pickups and flatwounds.

Yeah, the wife likes the idea alot.
  12. Glenn D.

Glenn D.

Aug 20, 2002
    Fort Collins, CO
    I'm interested in the maple Essex jazz, if you get that far. What color is it?

Glenn D.
  13. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Jong, you need any advice... you're doing the right thing IMO! Was a good idea to try all of those basses. I've never owned more than 8 at once, but over the years I've gone through a bunch. That was good experience; helped me understand what I want from an instrument. So now, I'm down to a couple of bassic (sic) basses and a couple of boutiquey ones.
  14. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Dibs on the ATK.
  15. I'll give the Stein and the Spector good homes, if you need to let them go.
  16. iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Lakland hollow-body basses are super, the USA or Skyline.
  17. I want the flashback too!!! Flip ya for it :D
  18. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Go for a USA Lakland you can't go wrong there. I have not owned as many basses as you have at one time but I have had 5 at one time and realized that some were not getting the attention that they deserved. I am now down to 2 USA Lakland 4-94's with Hipshot d-tuners, Martin J1, and a 2001 Gibson Les Paul Custom (customized)w/ a P90 in the neck and a humbucker in the bridge w/ all nickel hardware (thanks ROB). I have found that 2 is the perfect # of basses for me! Just my 2 cents bro!! Good luck!
  19. dodgy_ian

Apr 9, 2001
    Newcastle, UK
    wow. mental amount of gear.

20. Head Creep

Head Creep

Nov 6, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Wow... you have no idea how crazy that looks from the eyes of someone looking to spend $200 on their first bass. But at the same time, I'm sure that if I really get into this I'd want to be in the same position as you right now.

Could you drop a couple of those off at a Salvation Army in the Los Angeles area?