1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm dreaming of a Fireglo Christmas (no fence sitting NBD)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by monsterthompson, Dec 23, 2016.

1. monsterthompson

monsterthompson The Eighth Note Wonder Of The World

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    I've been wanting one for a while. Wildwood had a really nice sale, and this Fireglo monstrosity called my name. If you've never opened a brand new Ric-in-the-Box, I'd highly recommend it. The case is elegant. The contents are luxurious. I looked for signs of shipping damage and finish bubbles, but none were found. I clipped on my snark and it was in tune. The action is set a little higher than I like, but that's easily remedied. I plugged into my Demeter/Barefaced rig and there is that gorgeous tone. I'd tried various models and was worried about the neck shape, since every one I played was different, and I'm not a fan of gloss necks. This neck is quite comfortable, bordering on slim. This design noticeably lacks a good stock place for a thumb on the right hand, but it's not bad. I didn't realize how nice that cover would be for a picking hand to rest. I'm pleasantly surprised at how well it plays with my Dunwich HM2 pedal, which is a little better suited for guitar than bass (IME).

I can't say much that hasn't already been said about these fine bits of art. I'm in love.

Here's my living room pic, and a pic from Wildwood. Check that fretboard grain!

image.

image.
    Back to playing.
    Living the dream.

2. 4-fingers

4-fingers

Nov 22, 2015
    Ontario Canada
    Gorgeous....it's getting hard to stay on the fence on that exact bass.

monsterthompson likes this.
  3. YAY!!!

4. Tbone76

Tbone76

Aug 24, 2013
    Upstate, NY
    Ric has a habit of building basses with really nice looking rosewood fretboards, and this one is no exception. Congrats!

5. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    Beautiful bass. Congratulations!

6. BassJuju

BassJuju Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2016
    Kentucky
    Nice... I love the color of these and maybe one day. Merry Christmas and Grats!

7. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    Thanks.

It plays and sounds so good. I plugged into a fuzz and chewed through every song I know by The Misfits, and it was awesome. Then I plugged into my DAW and the direct tone was really nice. I'm really impressed with the range of tones from the tone control and PU selector. This bass could be my new favorite. I don't know why I hesitated on buying one.

Jeff Scott and TMARK like this.
  8. nostatic

nostatic Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2004
    lost angeles, CA
    Endorsing Artist: FEA Labs
    I've always liked the idea of a Rick, but never played one that really felt right to me. Seems that the neck profiles are a bit inconsistent. Wildwood even lists the measurements on their site - that says somethin' ;)

9. monsterthompson

Nov 25, 2008
    Hollywood
    That was my biggest concern. Every one I've played has been different. I've tried different new and used ones, including Walnut and S models. There has always been "something" close-but-not-quite. This one has a really nice neck. Maybe it was luck.

TMARK likes this.
  10. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Congrats on a great looking bass. Yes, a wonderful figuring to that fingerboard, too. :)

Yep, the pickup cover is placed in just the right place for both picking and finger plucking, too. IME. :thumbsup:

So much so that Lemmy, even, had put one on his 4004LK basses for just that reason. :thumbsup: