Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im dumb- boiling strings???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by flames, Apr 1, 2002.

1. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    :confused: im really dumb or im just dont pay attention i heard some were something about boiling strings what do i exactly have to do??

yep i decided im dumb i cant spel to goodd
    i have another question

raising and lowering the bridge what happens when i raise it what happens when i lower it (slap sound/overal sound) i have a ibanez gts205 if that helps

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Boiling the strings removes all of the built up oils, dead skin cells, and other gunk that adheres to your strings... It gives them added snap and helps revive them when they become 'dead' sounding. I can get a couple of 'boils' out of a set of strings before they are un-useable...

Just remove them from your bass, curl them into a pan and cover with water... boil for 10 min. or so. If you have silk windings on the ends of the strings, you may wanna keep these out of the water. It doesn't really hurt the windings to get wet, they just start to look a little ratty... Harder to get the chicks that way!!! :D

-robert

3. flames

flames Guest

Jun 30, 2001
    my house
    thanks man i dont get no chicks anyway they all wannabe friends but that saves me thirty dollars every 3 or 4 months

4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Before you boil your strings, I would encourage you to do a search of the subject in the TB archives. There are many differing opinions on the subject.

Chas

5. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I must have said 1000X here already that the only time I ever popped a string was also the only time I ever boiled them. Never did it again. The added snap that I got from boiling them was almost immediately gone also.

My guess is if someone is a really light player it wouldn't be that big a deal, but if you dig in, have a gig coming up - it's taking a chance. I'd prefer dropping the $20 for a new set, or playing on dead strings - which by the way I'm starting to like.

6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Don't use boiling water, use alcohol (at room temperature!!!).

Hot water kills strings, alcohol cleans them.
    I use my strings up to a year with Wootenesque brilliance, not a single broken string.
    I do this at least once a week. Perfect sound.

Thousands of threads on this...

7. wheh.. i just take a small bottle of Gibson String conditioner and a piece of cloth :D

works fine.. you don't have to take the strings off :)

8. Prague77

Prague77

Aug 20, 2001
    Waco, TX
    soak them in distilled alchol, it makes them like new.

9. I soak my strings overnight in methyl hydrate.

10. Hey i've got a job.. i just buy NEW strings ;)

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    I sometimes soak my head in methyl hydrate - then I don't care about the strings.

12. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    Geez, I must be the laziest person there is, I MANAGE a guitar store and hardly ever change my strings.

13. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    Word! The Blue Steels, (Nickel... I never did get that name?!?), on my Jack Casady have lost their brightness and are just acheiving the perfect tone for this bass... 5 months later!

-robert