I'm dying for help.....

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Phunky, Apr 7, 2005.

1. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Hello! I've been playing for little over a half year, and i don't know a single scale, i've been quite stupid i realize now, because they are vital to becomming a succesfull bass player i think.

So far i've just been learning from songs, i have a soul for music i think, i can go down the neck (slow but surely) i'm starting to realise the connections on the fingerboard, starting to hear some notes you know? for example if i'm on C on the A string, i know what G will sound like, also octaves, but they are quite easy to learn in head.

The problem is, i'm stuck at playing these same things, you know what i'm saying? :smug: i'm just going up and down up and down all the time on the strings, every 2nd fret..... it's becoming boring and i feel frustrated that my skill isn't developing, do you have any recommendations for me? Can someone help with scales and arpeggios (i don't even know what apreggios is :bawl: ) Where to find? On the internet? What scale should i learn first?

VERY Thankfully //Phunky
  2. Here's a good place to start:

It's basically on online trainer for reading music...To learn scales and arpeggios and all that other good stuff, go buy a simple, straightforward book that will show you how to do it. Some books come with cd's for computer tutorials, VHS tapes for video, or dvd's. I started with a book by Mel Bay and it was easy, explanatory, and not really all that fun...but it did get me started.
  3. that or quit for a while, you might just be falling into a slump

it's a good thing, you suck a lot less when you play and you bcome all inventive
  4. oh, and learn minor scales, you seem like a heavy metal player, you'll use them (and a lot of strange intervals) when playing
  5. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
  6. JohnnyA

Aug 21, 2004

from Phunky's profile:

Influences and Teachers:
    Nick Fyffe

I don't think Stu Zender's, for lack of a better word, replacement is very "heavy metal".

But I could be really wrong.

7. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    So tell us how you really feel. :eyebrow:

Anyways Phunky, try Activebass.com as they have alot of tutorials and exercises that should help you.

If you can afford it, get a good instructor.

Good luck and keep playing! :D
  8. Phunky

Phunky Guest

Aug 1, 2004
    Thanks so much for every replys! I'm very grateful, i'll check into the links you have provided me :smug:

I'm not a heavy-metal player i'm pretty much a Funk-player, my biggest influence is Stuart Zender and i've also tried to learn the Weather Report album just like he did, but i'm so lazy, i only learned Barbary Coast :rolleyes:
  9. HE?!
    His name is Jaco Pastorius!

Well, just keep exploring the bass. For example just do things you never else do, try notes, search, find, and you will improve.
  10. what can i say, i'm ignorant. go find wheat's bassbook on the web
  11. hey.. im sorta in the same situation as you, well, was, sometimes i slump and nothng flows or just 2 frets at a time. i no nothing about theory either lol. but, music theory can be good, but take flea for example, amazing bass player who knows nothing about theory. just be inventive, listen to new music and it will flowwwww :smug:

Peace and funk
    Chips :bassist:
  12. Yeah...don't kid yourself...whatever Flea says in public, he knows theory.
  13. Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Flea may not know theory, but he always plays with guitarists who do :)

I love the assumption that when someone mentions "I don't know much theory" they are OBVIOUSLY a metal player.... :rollno:
  14. Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    "[...]my biggest influence is Stuart Zender and i've also tried to learn the Weather Report album just like he did[...]"

He means, like Stuart Zender did. :oops: