Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im fairly new: Can someone accurately explain double slapping...

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LifeSpitter, Apr 8, 2002.

1. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Is it just open, hammered triplets?

Someone enlighten me please...

Thanks

2. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    It's.. errr... one of many bass techniques that should never have been invented?!

Sorry, only kidding!

I think it's where you slap the string on the downstroke (as per usual) then pull the string again on the way up with your thumb to crank out another note.

Personally, I prefer to use an electric drill with picks glued to the end to play really fast!!!

;)

3. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    ...actually saying 'I think' isnt very accurate is it.. sorry!

4. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Hold your thumb pretty parallel to the string and slap the string in a downward motion. Hit the string with the side of the thumb.
    "Drag" it through the string until it is stopped by the next string.
    Now move it upwards again and hit the string again.
    It's pretty much like using the thumb as a pick.
    The movement comes from the wrist.
    Usually you'll use too much strength at first, you need to learn to do it without much effort.

The upwards motion can be used to do a pop with index or middle finger after the upstroke.
    Victor Wooten uses this to play triplets, consisting of downstroke, upstroke, pop.

Hope this helps.

5. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Do you guys use this technique?

I mean, what i am saying is,...is it practical at all or is it just a "Store Chop" to impress people..

Thanks

Also,...Can someone explain the Left Handed Slap?

6. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK

7. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    I find doing the a quick 'slap', 'thumb pop' can be quite useful. I also use a thumb pop quite a bit here and there, which is quite handy in a 'conserve motion' kind of way. I've not found a really good use for double thumping yet. Certainly not in anything I play.

8. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    Hey MatW, you're in Swindon. Let me know when you do some gigs locally, Swindon's just down the road I could come along and check it out.

ta
    H.

9. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi Howard,

Yeah, I spotted you were from Reading. It's nice to hear from fellow bass players in the vicinity. Sadly, I'm not in a band at the mo. I'm finding it difficult to find like-minded people who want to play Funk/Jazz stuff. I'll probably have to spread my search further afield, although I don't really want to have to drive 50 miles or so just to get to a practise if you know what I mean?

Let me know if you doing any gigs in the area too.

Back on topic, in case no-one's suggested it get Alexis Sklarevski's slapping video. It really is the best on the market IMO. No double thumping as such, but some of the stuff he plays at the end is pretty amazing.

10. Howard K

Howard K

Feb 14, 2002
    UK
    "I'm finding it difficult to find like-minded people who want to play Funk/Jazz stuff."

Yeah, finding like-minded musicians at an appropriately equal level of skill is very, very difficult.

There's a bar in Reading that does a Jazz night every Thursday - it's free entry and I guess it could be a good place to enquire about other musicians and or turn up & play jazz gigs? I dunno, but it might be worth a try?
    They had a band in last week doing standards with an amazing female vocalist, but they had no bass player - I was tempted to ask, but I'm just not ready yet.

My current 'dream' is to play in jazz/funk/dance fusion sort of thing - drums, bass, effects/guitar, keyboards/sample & vocals... a sort of cross between herbie hancock,roy ayers,roni size & the herbaliser.

...but like I said I'm not theoretically tooled-up enough to play jazz yet... I'm working on it!

I play in a couple of bands - one punk (in Reading) and one hard rock (London). It is fun, but I've always LOVED funk and the call is getting louder and louder!

Do PM me when you get gigging next!

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    keep it on topic, or take it to PM, please

12. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    one thing I do alot is on top of the Double thump(down and up with your thumb)
    I just slap twice, or open /hammer/ slap /slap the two slaps plus the open hammer = 4 notes sometimtes I omit the open and just hit a note three times
    double thump is tricky and takes ALOT of practice I've been doing it for a month or so now and I'm only just now starting to sort of get the hang of it and get up to speed

13. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Oh damn!

We got an underground hip hop head right here...

Wrong Robot...you listen to Del too?

Hes sick as hell.

Peace