1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm fairly sure I hate Pantera now...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Matt Till, Feb 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Are they as openly racist as I think they are?

They start out some live album (which my racist "friend" has) with some Phil tirade, he says something about how if you don't speak his language to get out of his country.

Pssst... if they don't speak your language, they didn't understand your little speech.

I've always liked the Vulgar Display of Power album and "No Good" had a kickin' groove to it and I always thought it had an anti racist message... but correct me if I'm wrong, he's just being as blatantly racist as possible...

But it's so back and forth... I don't know. Are they as racist as they seem or what? Because the part where he talks about ow closed minds play the part of prison cells... racism is close minded. Plus he talks about ignorant past burned fires.
    But then he says No chance Not for a minute Not for a second I won't be defensive I'm straight out in my opinion. Is it his opinion that racism is cool beans? Someone translate. :help: Is Phil racist, is the band...

2. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I think Phil and the guys from Pantera were trying to say that racism lives because we keep it alive. Thats not racist, thats just the facts. I think when he says "In my opinion..." he is saying that people being racist, sucks and he isn't afraid to say it. On his spat on "You need to speak my language". Thats a very touchy subject around states that border Mexico. Personally, I think if you are going to work legally in the US, you should speak the official language of this country. Other countries expect it of us, why not them also? JMHO.

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, I'd rather this thread not get... bad...

I'm pretty sure Phil's tirade included something about skin color, but I don't remeber... I just remeber thinking it blindingly ignorant and my racist "friend" thinking it was cool. But I'm not sure... anyone have 101 Proof Live or whatever it's called?

5. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    I don't want this thread to go bad either. If Phil is being a racist then I for one will no longer be a fan of his. He has kinda weirded out and Pantera is now defunct.
    NJL, just remember, its my opinion I know alot of people that agree with that statement and the are from another counrty. It may not agree with your belief and thats cool. Thats what America is about! I'm not trying to offend anyone. My belief comes from the fact that I have customers that get really mad at me because I can't speak their language. So, you can see where my point of view comes from. There is nothing more to it than that.

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I have all the Pantera stuff, and I have never picked up the idea that there is a racist bone in their bodies. Those guys are too laid back to be hatemongers.

There are people of all ethnicities in their home videos partying with them. Case closed.

7. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I don't know any Spanish. I learned enough French in
    High School to be taken for a draft dodger in Montreal
    in the seventies, and to be abused by chicks in Quebec
    City for being Americain.

NJL is going to be teaching me Spanish next month.
    I have started studying and and learned 2 words and
    a phrase from a friend who used to live in Peru.

So now I know 'Tequila', 'Cervesa' and '*something* tu madre',
    I'm not sure what that means, but I'm sure NJL will
    explain it to me in words I can understand.

8. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I have a bootleg recording from a concert a few years ago, and Phil goes on a tirade for almost five minutes about racism. He calls racist people some very bad names, and says he doesn't want any racist people in his audience. He even talks about assaulting any racist people in the crowd.

He is not a racist. Asking someone to speak your language is not being a racist.

-Mike

9. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    "You need to speak my language".
    My language as in "racist people suck"
    Not my language as in english.
    I'm 14 and i got that right away.

10. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm, maybe you did.. but.. I'm not...

?

11. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    Like speak my lanuage of non-hate.

Sorry I get it but I can't explain.

12. Electricmayhem

Electricmayhem

Dec 18, 2003
    NH
    Not sure if you're right, but...

C' Mon, Pantera= racist? They're a lot of things, but I don't think they're racist.

13. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Civics Lesson -- The US does not have an official language. Citizenship is not dependent on being able to speak English.

You are welcome to your opinion, because this is the land of the free. We are also free to speak whatever language we want, for the very same reason.

14. Kelly Lee

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Touche! Thats what I'm talking about. Its just my opinion. I would never try to force someone to do things my way. I knew it was going to come out wrong. Sorry.

15. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.

Im sorry, but english in the dominate language.
    "we are also free to speak whatever language we want to" Your just trying to bring the whole "freedom" thing into it to sound like you have a valid opinion on something. Sure, we can speak whatever language we want, but to effectively communicate, i suggest the non english speaking minorities learn english.

NJL, are your "rolleyes" smileys a metaphore for your disagreement that "if you want to work here, you need to speak the dominate language"? Im sorry you think that way.

Mexico doesnt force their students to learn english so that they can can comminucate with the english speaking american minority. I guess they are racist.

16. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I.'.I.'.Nakoa, you are correct about English being the dominant language. You are incorrect that I have mentioned freedom only to imitate a valid opinion. I stated that there is no official US language because that is the law. There is a big difference between suggesting someone learn to speak with the majority, as opposed to forcing minorities to speak like/with the majority. Free means free, and I'm very glad our founding fathers knew this when they wrote our constitution.

17. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Well I'm 20 and that seems to be a bit of a stretch their junior. ;)

I would like to see a transcript of what Mr. Aneselmo said. I'm hearing some pretty solid evidence that they are not racist, but I still want to see a transcript of what he said.

18. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I read the lyrics. I salute Phil Anselmo. Just because the lyrics aren't kissing black/hispanic people's asses doesn't mean it's racist. Us white people have become waaaaaaay to uptight when it comes to talking about race. Louis Farrakhan (AKA The Black Hitler) can preach black supremacy all he wants and we all have to sit through the steaming mountain of feces that is Black History month but if we say anything remotely unflattering about other races we're Nazis. I'm just numb. :meh:

They say in 2040 white people will be the minority in America. I truly wonder what that will be like. Will the other races learn nothing from our mistakes and the shoe will just be on the other foot? Flame on. :bag:

19. Try living in Texas and see how long you can go before getting angry at all the people speaking spanish.

You don't see that in pennsylvania, but its here all the time in texas.

20. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    the last time i was back home in altoona, i don't think i even saw a mexican looking person......but then we went a little east, and i had to brush up on my Dutch. :D

-Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.