Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm falling down a slippery slope

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by des00s, Jan 4, 2006.

1. des00s

des00s

Jan 2, 2006
    I need serious help. I started out thinking I would just get a cheap head for my aguilar 112's. But then i thought, for a few hundred more I could get a much better one. Then i thought, since I am in this price range if I just throw in a little more I could get something I really like. I then decided on a walkabout but then I thought, man why dont i just throw in enough to buy that DB-750. Next thing you know I am a broke man with a complaining girlfriend and I'm patting myself on the back for making a good decision. I got a raise at work so its not like I'm spending my rent money... And on down the slippery slope i go. somebody talk me out of this. :bawl:

On another note... A friend of mine wants to buy one of my aggies and I'm wondering if I should sell one to him and then buy a GS210 to compliment my other 112 or should i keep them both. I will be gigging... any suggestions?

2. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    Keep them both, you have a nice setup there!

3. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    You have portable cabs, it only makes sense to get a portable head. Spend $500 on used GK1001RB-II. It will serve you well. Get the DB750 another day!

4. Mattski

Mattski

Jan 6, 2003
    Cleveland, OH
    Although I agree with Reefer (I have two GK 1001RBIIs), I think you have gone throught the right thought process and should buy the DB750. If your girlfriend is "the one" she needs to get used to your logic process and develop an appreciation for fine bass amplification.

Oh yeah...keep the two 112s!

Have fun!

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    Keep the 2 112s and also get the 2X10. Get the DB-750 and also get the used GK-1001RB as a back up.

If your gigging you'll want to have a backup amp :D

6. AxtoOx

AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    I know what you mean, since I found TB and Bass Central it's been bad. I just bought another Bass. I'm affraid my shrink is going to have to lock me down. :help:

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Keep the two aggies, buy a used eden wt400 ($500) or wt550 ($700). that should hold you for a while.

cheaper than a 750, but i DON'T know what you'd be missing...

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I bought a DB750 back in August. I have a couple of other amp heads, too. I got the Big Daddy Aggie from a naval officer buddy who needed to sell it, 'cuz he got shipped off to the Persian Gulf to replace some other guy as executive officer onboard a cruiser. He had the amp for a little over 10 months when I took if off of his hands. He wanted 1800 for it... I got over to his place with checkbook in hand before he had a chance to change his mind!

Question is/was... did I 'need' this beast of a hybrid? I would have to honestly answer with 'no.' However, a friend needed to sell, he's over there taking care of business for the rest of us, and his asking price was pretty darn reasonable... IMO. Am I happy with my purchase? That's easy: Hell yes! You buy yourself one of these, and I know I can speak for many TBers who have one... you'll never be sorry.

Now... about that girlfriend of yours... consider this: I dropped over 5-grand on gear this past year, so I know my darling wife, while never saying anything to me 'directly', had to have had some 'opinions' with what I had done... for myself... in 2005. So, I got her something really nice for Christmas... think of Marilyn Monroe singing 'Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend'... Now I'm not saying go run out right now and get that girl of yours a diamond, 'cuz obviously I don't know your financial status (which certainly ain't none of my business...), but I think you're getting my point: there's nothing wrong with thinking of yourself by going for a piece of equipment that you really want... but don't forget about your woman, either. Get her something 'nice', and you'll feel a lot better about yourself, your gear, but, especially... about her.