I'm Famous :)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Steve Freides, Nov 19, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    csrund, salcott, geoffbassist and 9 others like this.
  2. turf3

turf3

Sep 26, 2011
    But more important, you're not crippled.

Good on ya.

3. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Yes, indeed, that is the most important thing. It was a real wake-up call, and I had an all-too-real taste of what life as a disabled person might be like.

-S-

4. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Great article! Glad you are doing so well after that incident.

5. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Thanks, @Chris Fitzgerald.

I want everyone to know that the photographer also took pictures of me playing the bass but those didn't make it into the article.

Just so you don't think I'm slighting y'all or anything. :)

-S-

Chris Fitzgerald likes this.
  6. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Very cool-it looks like a powerful technique. Congratulations on coming back from your injury-that's a lot of dedication.
    A quick question-I have a congenital shoulder problem(essentially my biceps tendons are poorly attached at the shoulder). Can this technique accommodate that kind of thing?

7. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    @NG51, impossible to say without asking you a _lot_ of question and going far off-topic.

If I may recommend a resource, the strength organization I'm part of and mention in the article, StrongFirst, has a lively discussion forum. It uses the same forum software as is used here at TB so navigating it will be familiar. Sign yourself up and post an introduction - your exercise and general health background, the issue with your shoulder, etc., and ask for recommendations. StrongFirst.com and click on Forum/Community, or go directly to StrongFirst - Forum for Strength .

Disclaimer: Since September of 2015, I have been the administrator of the above-mentioned forum. They say there is no zealot like a convert - I was already an active participant on the forum, when they asked me to be an admin, and I told them that, since I was going to be heavily involved, anyway, I'd be delighted if they paid me, too. :) It's not much $ but it is a labor of love for me, and I know it has a good reputation and helps many people.

-S-

WillieB and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  8. WillieB

WillieB Battling Bass Guitar Bulimia since 1975 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Steve,

Thanks for posting this and congrats on all your efforts to avoid surgery and improve your health.
    I have the same condition ... degenerative L4 and 5 ... ( began over 20 years ago with a rupture ).
    Over the years I have been bed ridden for weeks, MRI'd, on pain killers and muscle relaxants, consulted for surgery, worn braces,
    walked real funny like, etc.
    I'm ok now thank goodness but I have not taken the steps you have to improve my health and fitness.
    This is a real wake up call as I know its just one wrong move to "tweak" the situation.
    I have the kettlebells. I will check out the forum !

In the seventies it was 90lb SVT heads and a couple of 70lb cabs - didn't help. The truth though is it doesn't take
    a lot of weight for the rupture to occur. I'm still grateful for class D amps and neodymium drivers !

Thanks again Steve !

Best for continued health.

Bill

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  9. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

I would ask for those photos, and post them here...

I was going to mention my spinal injury from riding horses in the 80s, but that pales in comparison.

Steve Freides likes this.
  10. Lee Moses

Lee Moses

Apr 2, 2013
    Tennessee
    I'm a sucker for a happy ending. I've read your posts but didn't have any idea what all you'd been through, especially to be able to play DB, of all instruments. Congrats!

11. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    One of the best things about what I've learned is to train our midsection, which includes our lower back and our abs, as a area of stability. You want to be able to resist forces trying to move your lower back, and you don't really want to train this by moving your lower back as a way of strengthening it; instead, you want to do things that, to use your example, better prepare you for carrying 70 lb. cabinets and SVT heads without having to move your lumbar - rather, you brace your midsection.

If you want a simple thing you can try with your kettlebell or any carry-able weight to start, try this: First, carry a kettlebell in each hand on a walk of a minute or two in length. Get used to that, and try to keep the idea of a stable midsection in mind while you do. At some point, try it with only one weight instead, and strive to walk as if you were carrying another, matching weight in the other hand - you'll really find your midsection working. Carrying a load in your hands, both symmetrically and asymmetrically, is a fine way to start. Don't do anything but carry the weight, i.e., don't shrug up your shoulders or try to make it more than it is, just carry the things like you'd carry grocery bag, just heavier. The right amount of heavy is, in approximate terms, something you can do for a minute reasonably comfortably but can't do for more than two minutes without dropping the weight.

-S-

WillieB and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  12. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    I've just asked - if I can get them, I'll post a few here.

-S-

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  13. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio

The "training the lower back with out moving it .... " I think is the key .... routines such as good mornings and bent over rows can be very dangerous. ( in my opionion .... and I'm not a doctor ) ...

14. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    The devil is in the details. A GM can be done without moving the lower back but many people aren't that careful - I have found no need for them in my training. And I've also not found a need for rows of any sort. People get obsessed with "completeness" and "work every body part equally" and things like that, which is just not relevant to anything unless you're a bodybuilder.

Pick up heavy things and put them down again - that's where it's at.

The lifts that have kept me healthy are the one-armed, standing kettlebell overhead press, and the two-hand barbell deadlift. One push and one pull, one asymmetrical that helps strengthen the midsection and one symmetrical that you can load heavy and will teach you ab strength as well as back strength. I go for months at a time doing just those two, and walking easily to do errands around town and for pleasure (no "power" walking for me), and stretching.

I am a doctor, but a DMA - I don't think that's what you meant. :)

-S-

WillieB likes this.
  15. WillieB

Apr 26, 2010
    Columbus Ohio
    Thanks for the suggestions Dr. Steve !

16. NG51

NG51 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2010
    Oakland,CA
    Thanks very much,Steve! I'll check it out.
    Neil

17. bassmastan

bassmastan Guest

Jun 25, 2011
    Congratulations Dr. Friedes! An inspiration to us all!

18. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar Jazz & Cocktails Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Central Pa
    Good stuff Dr Steve - I'd better start heeding these types of cautionary tales and get my act (abs) together.

19. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    WillieB likes this.