I'm F'n Pissed!!!!! Need your help

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Brad Barker, Aug 20, 2001.

1. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Here's the deal:

Saturday, I was playing my Czechtor (Euro Spector) and I noticed that my D string kept on going out of tune every minute or so. After about 10 minutes, my D string just snapped (and I wasn't playing hard at all). I just went to the local guitar store today and my dad bought a set of strings and a replacement string. While I put on the new D string, it got snapped. I then opened the new pack and succesfully replaced the string, making sure that it had multiple windings without putting too much pressure (the cause of the earlier string to snap).

So an hour later, I was practicing again, and my E string did the same sh*t as the D string, except much faster. I replaced it promptly. Then I went back to playing again. Then the D string started going out of tune...and eventually came flying out at me. As far as I know, the string didn't snap.

It now is on its stand with the auto-unstringing D string. My dad says he will take it to the shop tomorrow. But what I want to know is what the problem was. At first, I thought it was b/c I didn't wind the string nearly enough, but the second time the D string "broke" pretty much proves that theory wrong. Is there something wrong with the tuners? I checked the gaskets, but they appear to be fine to me?

I just have no idea what happened and I sure as hell do not want to go through this again!!!!
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Not enough info.

Where exactly did the string break?

Were you tuning by ear or using a tuner?

What the heck is a gasket?

3. steinbergerxp2

steinbergerxp2 Guest

Jul 11, 2001
    When strings break it's normally becaue they are crossing something "sharp" which cuts them. The most common is the saddle on the bridge (although I suppose a brass nut could do it as well).

As far as "detuning" you would normally expect that to be a tuner problem. If you could provide that info on where the strings break, that would be helpful.

What kind of strings?

Do you slap/pop?
  4. Certain things can cause the strings to snap. as suggested, the saddles that the srtings sit on. yes what end, it may be at the top of neck. You may have to file them a little.

Maybe you tuned too high, or cut the string a little too short so when it was in tune it was too tensioned.

5. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Aa pkr2 says, there is just not enough information - if the bass was in front of me, then the problem might be really obvious...but otherwise, it's almost impossible to say.

But I keep thinking about people who have said before that they tuned their bass to the same pitches as a guitar - that would do it!! ;)
  6. Brad Barker

Brad Barker Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2001
    berkeley, ca
    Whenever a string actually broke (as opposed to just popping off), it broke near the tuner. I do slap, but at I wasnt slapping when any of the strings broke or detached from the bridge.

I was tuning by ear. that may have been the cause of the strings just popping off. I tuned my dad's guitar last night (the night of all the grief), and while i was tuning the B string to the open E, it popped off. I decided to just leave every instrument alone for a while. My dad told me that I was tuning it wrong after the fact...but the string did get to pitch, although it only stayed in tune for a short while (sound familiar?). I'm starting to think that it is the way I manually tune that is causing the problems (or at least some of them).

I neglected to mention that during jazz band yesterday, I played the upright. Within a few minutes, the G string snapped by the bridge. I was only playing pizz, and I wasn't doing anything harsh, although I was plucking kinda hard, in order to get a louder sound. Am I just having bad luck or what?

So do you think I ought to get the spector's tuner(s) checked out? I hope I gave you all enough info, although probably not enough to make a final answer.
  7. Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    Detached from the bridge!!!???
    Broke a guitar string and an upright string........
    Phu, either you play hard as a loonitic, or you tune way to high!

It is obvious that you overtension the strings. Then they will snap at the roughest corner, or detache from either end attachment.
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Get yourself a tuner. You can get one these days for $15-20 bucks that works great. It'll cost less than the strings you are going to break in the coming weeks.

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

What do you mean by this phrase - how and to what reference are you tuning the strings?

I mean to me, the only way to tune an instrument is by using an electronic tuner or by matching it to some other reference - like a piano note or pitch pipe, etc. etc.

I think everyone is beginning to suspect that you are just tightening and tightening - which will of course cause strings to break!!! They are made to work at the correct pitch and if you are continually over-tightening them they will break. :rolleyes: