Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im furious

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BassMus1k, Feb 22, 2005.

1. BassMus1k

BassMus1k

Apr 1, 2004
    omg
    im like losing my mind, k im talking with my buddy who is a guitar player about our progression in musical talent and **** and hes like until u can slap bass perfectly i wont even consider u a real bassist seeing as it is the easiest and most widely used technique of any good bass player.

wow i blew up on him i mean slap sounds good but omg i wanted to strangle him. aaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhh
    i mean i cant slap well and i dont see it fitting in with my coice in music and also this is not to say i dont want to get better (i do, just for another technique in the bag) but this seriously upset me.

im sorry all i know there r a few too many threads like this but i had to vent im like seriously choked at this guy. thanx for listening.

2. He wrong- no need slap. I slap a lot- doesn't make me good, or even funky neccesarily. Play what you like, learn to play what you love. Don't let him, me or anyone else define 'good' bass playing to you.

3. Many widely respected bass players never slap. You'd be hard pressed to find examples of slapping from Geddy Lee, one of the consensus favorites on this forum. Many great players do slap, but you don't necessarily have to to be "real" bassist. If your friend can't get past that, don't let it bother you, he's just being obtuse.

Tim

4. Corbis

Corbis Guest

Feb 19, 2003
    Wamego KS
    I would have said

Well until you can be a closed minded and arrogant guitar player i wont even consider you a real guitarist seeing as thats the most widely used techniques of any guitarist.......oh wait you must be like a guitar god.

:D

5. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Well, I agree, and I disagree. There are "many" techniques that are available to the modern bass player, based on the genius of people who've come before us. Slapping is one of them, and tapping, and so on, there's lots of them.

I suspect, at the end of the day, there's an element of truth in what your buddy's saying. Slapping, in today's world, is "important" for a bass player to learn.

That doesn't mean you have to be "perfect" at it, but it does mean you should have some familiarity with the technique.

Is it "necessary" to make a living? Maybe not, if you happen to find just the right band.

But if you're really interested in learning what you can do with a bass, and pushing the limits on that, then slapping will eventually cross your path.

One of the better introductions to slap I've heard, is the Tony Oppenheim course, there's a book, a CD, and a video.

It's well worth checking out, if you have nothing to do someday. :D

Meanwhile, I'd tell your buddy to "be patient". More bands have disintegrated over "technical issues" like that, than just about anything else (except ego). :)

6. Yeah, I guess your buddy's right. Jaco, Rocco, John Entwistle, Chris Squire, Carol Kaye, those cats aren't real bassists, eh?

:rollno: x 1,000,000

7. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That comment doesn't deserve a thread dedicated to it. How ignorant. Slapping is just another technique, that, in the hands of some players is WAY over-used and often used in the wrong setting.

Yes, I think it's good to have a grasp of it, but that is true of all techniques. Doesn't mean you need to be Marcus Miller to be a good bassist.

I hate these discussions. I should just ingnore these threads.

8. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    Maybe you should. The point here is someone telling someone else that they are worthless unless they can play exactly as they are told. In a perfect world, this would never happen and in this one, it shouldn't. Go tell your guitar player to f--k off.

9. Kelly Lee

Kelly Lee Yeah, I'm a guy! Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    Marana, AZ, USA
    Tell him that he is not a real guitar player until he can play classical and Spanish guitar. I mean, any self respecting guitarist can do that stuff, right? :rolleyes:

He is obviously a closeminded idiot. I second bass-shy's suggestion.

10. It's a good thing I wasn't there, or I'd have broke his hands, then his guitar, then taken a key to his car... or an axe...

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    Most guitarists are dumb.

Another crappy story: So about a year ago I was trying out my (SOLD) Cirrus 6, and these guys come in and hear me and comment to each other that Im really good (Im not, but pop musicians dont know that :smug: ) and then they told me, so as I'm turning around to say thanks one of 'em says "Its just too bad you play bass instead of guitar.... Its a waiste, bass is worthless...

I WAS PISSED, but I did the right thing and just turned around and ignored them, And turned it up a lot :rollno:

Another Crappy Story: Same Place, trying out the SAME bass (The first time I tried it) again someone complements me (This time I did think I was good :rolleyes: ) and then proceeds to ask if Im in a band, and he said "You could be in ours, but you gotta play one of these" as he points to a Fender Jazz...

AAAAAGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!

So guitarists iz dumb. (not all)

12. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.

+1

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Slap will get you the most attention, but it's quite rare that it is needed.

14. I can slap (and pop, which I feel is harder to do well than slap). I think slap is so overrated though...I think it's something guitar players like if they're the kind of player that like to get into extended funk jam (aka noodling and solo-wanking) fests. I really don't care for funk at all, or any sort of "jam" music, so I rarely do any slapping, other than to occasionally accentutate a note.

I think being able to do normal finger style and pick style are much more useful skills.

15. Joey3313

Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
  16. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Damn right! :smug: :hyper:

I've never heard anything that idiotic come from any musician, so I guess I've been pretty fortunate. I don't slap, though I am learning as of now. I still don't see it as a necessary part of a bass player's repetoire, and I don't understand why guitarists would say that without this skill you can't be a good bassist...

What can I say? The guy is clearly an idiot, and nobody can win when arguing with an idiot!

17. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    +1...not to mention such horrible players as John Entwistle, Jeff Berlin, Chris Squire, Jack Bruce, John Paul Jones...

EDIT: Don't be angry, though. How can you get angry over someone else's ignorance? Instead, perhaps you should pity him for his lack of understanding of music, since it seems such a narrow focus. :p

18. Fixed. A great guitarist should first and foremost be a great musician and shouldn't have such dumb concepts. I know many great guitarists and they never gave me any crap because I don't slap too much.

I think your guitarist buddy is a closed-minded kid who won't go very far in the music business with such an attitude.

19. I somehow have managed to get through my whole life without feeling the need to throw a slap part in any song I've ever played. Chances are I've been playing bass longer than he's been alive. I must suck. Tell your guitarist buddy thanks for the epiphany. I shall adjust my life accordingly.