Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm GASin for a Lakland!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikeluch, Jan 31, 2005.

1. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Within the past few years I started playing again after a long layoff(way too long). I really want a Lakland 4-94 Deluxe but I need to dump a couple of basses. (My wife says I need to be an octopus to play them all.)
    Anyway, I have a G&l ASAT, L2000 and JB-2, Fender MIA Precision and Jazz, Rick 4003, Esp b-304, Dearmond Starfire and The Bass Co bass. My problem is which ones to sell to get the Lakland. Is the Lakland that much of an improvement over the G&ls, Fenders and Rick? Should I keep them all and not keep the peace? Some of you guys must have had similar problems.
    Help, this is driving me nuts!

2. Selta

Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    IMO, I'd sell the ESP and the Fenders. But that's me, and I like G&Ls and Rics. :p

Ray

3. Sane

Sane

Dec 4, 2004
    Melbourne Fl
    Sell me the Ric at fender price? :D (LoL scratch that ... thought it said MIM) .. Yea Id hang on to the Ric and G & Ls ... try to buy used... should help keep the peace:)

4. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    IMHO, I'd sell everything but the Fenders and the Ric.

If the Fenders are "the ones", it just makes great sense to have a "set" of great Fenders in yer arsenal. Also, there's just no replacing a Ric if you love that tone (which I assume you do). However, and again, IMHO, once you play a Lakland, you won't have any use for the rest.

I'd love to have a Ric again, but they're down on the list at this point. I love their tone in general, but they just tend to get lost in a live mix a bit too easily for me.

Good luck! One thing I can say for sure, is yes, IMHO, the Laklands ARE "all that".

5. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

The trouble with selling basses is that you never get what they're worth to you, in a manner of speaking. Sure, I could sell my 'berger after my Skyline DJ5 gets here, but I would miss it like a first love. I might later be able to pick another one used, but it just wouldn't be the same.

OF course, if you never play a certain bass, and have no emotional attachment to it, then sell it, particularly if it makes your significant other happy to reduce the number you've got.

6. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I got rid of all of my basses and now I currently own 1 LAKLAND 4-94 Standard and it is well worth it. No bass IMHO can touch it!

7. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    I have come full circle with these types of questions and now realize that I must hold on to what I have and buy more. I regret getting rid of two basses over the years and almost did it again with my Lakland 55-94. So my advice to you is, don't take the loss, just save and save until you can add a 4-94 to your arsenal.

8. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Hey JoeySquid, is that E. Wilson in your avatar? He's come up with some awesome bass lines over the years.

9. mikeluch

mikeluch Gold Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2004
    Ocala, FL
    Hey Guys, thanks for the feedback. I agree with Joey Squid.
    I used to own a few basses from the mid 70s, 4001 ric, 72 Jazz and Precision, Gibson EB 3, and Ripper and sold them off when I quit playing in the 80s. I wish I never did it.
    I think Im just going to go for the Lakland and keep what I have. Selling the ESP and the Dearmond wont bring me much in return, so why not just keep em.
    Buying the Lakland isn't as bad as going out and buying a Corvette :D My wife will get over it.

10. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    Why yes it is!! He is my all time favorite.

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    My wife got over it too!!! ;)

12. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
  13. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  14. hmmmm, laklands....... :smug:
    Never played one too be honest, but that's because no shop around here has one, but I'd love to play one.
    In your case: Id keep the Ric and G&l, maybe the Fenders too

15. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    Personally, I'd dump the Fenders.

I've yet to play a Fender (P or J) that even comes close to the quality of my G&L's or even my (Korean) Lakland.

16. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    AL/GA
    IMO, as a guy whos owned several Laklands and several L2000s, you should keep all of them until you play the Lakland to find out how it suits you. I personally don't think any Lakland sounds as fat as a MFD-equipped G&L, nor will they get the variety of tones of the G&L Tritone electronic setup. However, there are other areas where I believe the Lakland betters the G&Ls (shielding, woods, neck profile, B-string on the fivers). All considered, my "keeper" has been a G&L, and all the Laklands come and go. You may find your tastes similar or different...only you can tell. Forget everyone else's hype.

17. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I was in a similar situation as you just a few weeks ago.

As much as I'd like to have kept some of the basses that I sold, space and finances dictated otherwise. If I'm not playing the bass or giving it adequate playing time, then it's time to sell it to someone who will play it and take care of it. In the least, I'll let it take up space and collect dust in someone else's home.

I sold a bunch of basses for my Lakland 4-94 and couldn't be happier. Same for my wife. I took her advice of selling a bunch of basses and getting a couple of really nice ones.

The 4-94 is a great bass for me. It plays like butter, and is real versatile in terms of tones. The 4-94 can get the tones of many of the basses I sold/selling (except for the Warwicks), and play better than all of them.

Just my .02