I'm GASing for a Warwick 'vette.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by darkside 88, Aug 11, 2005.

1. darkside 88

darkside 88

Feb 23, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    Everything about that bass seems right, that beautiful dark wood, that low, dark growl, the neck, the fret board.

I play in a jack of all trades type of band, but we focus on hard rock. I know it can handle that. Could it do the jazz and funk we play as well?
  2. mlu

Jul 18, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    MmmmmmMMMmMm. I love the sound of the corvette. It so real i could eat it. I am gasing for a thumb. they have a very orgasmic tone.
  3. DerekP

Jul 24, 2005
    Toronto, On
    i own the 4 string active version. can handle any kind of tone i need with ease, and through an swr550x and goliath 3 it sounds exactly the way i hear bass in my head.
  4. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I have a '97 Corvette with active electronics, wenge neck, brass nut. It can do jazz and funk as well as rock and metal. I like to play a variety of styles myself from jazz to metal to upbeat pop.

The slap tone is simply to die for, and we all know how important slap is in funk music these days. But one thing that can alter the sound of your 'vette is the strings. When I first bought mine, the previous owner put Ernie Ball Slinkys on it. When I had it set up with a set of SIT Silencers, it's a whole different beast.

The amp will have an effect too. Through my G-K Backline combo, it has a more "rawk" sound because of the way G-Ks are voiced. Through my Ashdown, it has more warmth and fatness. Heck, through a crummy Crate BX15 practice amp it sounds f'n great.

Either way, if you're going for a 'Vette definitely get one used. Great value for the money on the used market. And if you can get one of the older ones with the wenge neck and brass nut, even better.

Tangent: Ooooh, this is post 666 for me. And extolling a Warwick Corvette to boot.
  5. Daywalker

Apr 13, 2005
    I picked up a fretless Vette a couple weeks back, it's still kinda scary at this point, but fun as can be.
  6. i am a used corvette owner as well. i got a lightweight p-bass knockoff to ease my back though, i can't play the corvette standing for more than an hour. i do love that bass though.
  7. Futurebass

Jun 22, 2005
    I just bought a fretless one and it is addictive.
  8. BadB

May 25, 2005
    Glendale, AZ
    Just got rid of my fiver. Way too heavy and the neck dive sucked. The Bass Place is selling it on eBay right now. Killer price if your shoulder can take the abuse.
  9. You must be holding it wrong! Just kidding, but if you want to know what neck dive is, strap on a Thumb 5(DIVE! DIVE! DIVE!). Back on topic, I had a Corvette 6 that was VERY heavy, but balanced great. I really don't remember any of the 3 or 4 'vettes I had being neck-heavy- maybe I held 'em wrong... :rolleyes:
  10. Techmonkey

Sep 4, 2004
    Wales, UK
    I'm thinking about getting one for my birthday in November, but the local GC is overcharging for them... Guess I'll have to wait till a good one crops up here on TB :crying:

I tried one out... And it has to be said, that thing was the BEST bass I've EVER played! (Though that's not many...)
    When I played it, it was like life had new meaning... I was playing for an hour, and it seemed like a few minutes! :smug:
  11. Dr. PhunkyPants

Dr. PhunkyPants Guest

Aug 11, 2002
    I'm not sure it was neck dive, but the odd angle of the upper horn in relationship to the body (and thus the direction the neck ended up shooting out at) made it difficult for me to reach the lower frets. It was way too heavy. The string spacing was too narrow.

I sold mine. Other people definitely like theirs, tho!
  12. Sweets

Aug 2, 2005
    Yeah, I've got one up on ebay right now. While I really dig its tone, being a beginner, I can't dig on the fact that every muscle in my left arm cramps up after 30 minutes of playing that 6 string beast!!! :p
  13. I use a wide Levi's strap with my Corvette 6. No cramping or pain here.

I can't imagine using a narrower strap with it, though. It's way too heavy for that....
  14. JAL

Dec 15, 2004
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Come to the dark side. You wont look back. LOVE my passive fretless 'vette.
  15. For me, the lower horn made it hard to reach the last 4 or 5 frets; every Warwick I've ever played(I've owned over a dozen, 2-3 at a time :rolleyes: )has been heavy; I like wide spacing, too- although their 4-strings are doable. I LOVE the Warwick sound. Don't anyone tell my wife, but I will one day own yet another Warwick! :bag:
  16. Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    I like the way my Corvette balances. Granted, the neck's a tad more horizontal than, say, my Soundgear (which balances at a steep angle) when strapped on, but that allows me to wear the Corvette a little higher and have an easier time doing slap/pop techniques than on my Soundgear which I wear a bit lower (comfortable for fingerstyle.)

The Thumb is designed to be worn more at chest height (given the concave back and stubby upper horn that won't poke your nipple) so you can slap aggressively.

It's too bad Warwick discontinued the Fortress line in its German stable. Those look like they'd balance very well.

But, yeah, balance, comfort, and ergonomics on a Warwick aren't for everyone. I love them personally, but can easily see why others wouldn't.