1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm GASsing....for a contrabass.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Fassa Albrecht, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Recently I've been really dreaming about playing the contrabass. I just love the sound, shape....it just looks and sounds great.

Any idea how I can relieve the GAS?

2. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Are you talking about the double bass? Or contrabass guitar?

edit: because if you're talking about the double bass, you have enough problems with your hands - upright will tear your hands to ribbons.

3. Double bass:
    Waubonsie%20Valley%20Double%20Bass%20Concerto%20Concert%203.20.2007.04%20Small.

4. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    it's not for you, Fassa.

Just trust me on this.

5. What makes ya say that? :D

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You've had problems with your hands correct?

The double bass is the most arduous instrument I've ever encountered. There's a reason I gave up for the time being, my hands were giving out on me.

7. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    You'll shoot your eye out, kid. /christmasstory

Errr, I mean... you rip your hands up, kid.

8. IBTL, bucket of pig's blood, or whichever comes first.........

9. I have flare-ups of RSI/tendonitis but it comes and goes.

10. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    +1

Someone on the DB forum referred to double bass playing as a sedentary activity combined with elite athletic training for the small muscles of the hands and arms.

Do not attempt this without a teacher, or without a bass that you choose for comfort when you are playing it. The experts on the DB forum can advise you on these matters.

Don't rule out that the RSI/tendonitis could be caused by something other than bass playing, such as your posture when sitting at the computer for hours a day.

11. Then until those problems subside, STAY AWAY from playing upright bass! The forces exerted are greater than you experience now..and they will not be kind to you. You need to get your physical condition under control, and if that means taking a year off, do it.

12. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Considering your wrist issues it's probably not a good idea.

If you are ead-set on trying it, maybe get your hands on a Dean Pace EUB or a KYDD shortscale EUB to get an idea of whether not it might be for you. Not sure of availability or price on either in the UK.

Get lessons from a trained professional. Don't stumble your way though technique on your own and give yourself permanent wrist damage.

13. Marlat

Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I agree that the downside of the DB is that it may exacerbate and existing RSI / tendonitus problems that Fassa may have. On the other hand, the large internal size of the DB makes it a particuarly good receptical for large amounts of vomit. Significantly more than the outside of an electric bass or the inside of an acoustic guitar. With that in mind, surely this is a line ball call for Fassa?