1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm getting a brand new set up, any advice?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Weismayr42, Sep 17, 2008.

1. Weismayr42

Weismayr42

Sep 17, 2008
    Hey, I literally just joined this forum today, and I'm looking to get a new bass and some kind of backline.
    To cut a long story short, I have recently moved out of home (I'm 19) in order to pursue music and expand my knowledge. I have been playing bass for around 6 years now (I currently own a fairly beaten up Ibanez SR300) , but I have never taken lessons and I dont have a great knowledge of bass guitars and equipment in general.
    One of the main reasons I joined this forum was to seek advice on how to improve my knowledge as well as my playing abilities.
    I'm in a couple of bands now and I really want to take myself and my gear seriously.
    I'm looking at getting an active Warwick Corvette standard Bubinga, and I've tried out some half stacks, including an Ampeg SVT-VR Reissue Head which I fell in love with, but it's a bit out of my price range at the moment, and I kinda want something practical (not a combo really) that I can do local gigs with, sounding as close to the Ampeg valve sound as possible lol.
    Anyways, apologies for the long post, any input from anyone would be great.
    Thanks
    :hyper:

2. Go w/ a good ol' Fender Jazz my man, you won't be sorry. Most popular bass in the world for a reason.

As far as cabinets, I like Epifani best. They pair with Jazz basses great as well!

3. Weismayr42

Weismayr42

Sep 17, 2008
    hey thanks man lol, alot of ppl recommend the fenders to me but i've never really gotten along with them, i've always preffered sleek necks i guess, and a slightly different sound
    I'm intrigued by the Epifani brand tho, any setups in particular that u can suggest?

4. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    The jazz bass has a thinner neck then most warwicks. So what kind of music are you planning on playing? then we can give you a recomendation. Are you looking at the gk backline series? Those amps and cabs havent been getting good reviews. I would look into other more higher end gk stuff. Some basses you should check out G&L 2000 or 2500, Laklands, Eb stingray, bongo, fender P or J , Fender p bass special.

5. lorenk

lorenk

Apr 8, 2008
    Bend, Oregon
    id also check out the MTD kingston series of basses. great basses for the money, not to mention versatile and it looks swanky to have MTD on your headstock :D

6. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I used to have a Schecter Stiletto with a Natural top finish. Sort of reminded me of a Warwick because I was really GASsing for one of those at the time, but it was out of my pricerange. The Schecter had the active EMG's, small body, real awesome tone, playable neck. Really affordable too - got one at Guitar Center for like $450. Definitely worth a try.

7. Weismayr42

Weismayr42

Sep 17, 2008
    A kinda sound I'm going for would be some kind of blend of KOL, RATM bass sound, I want something really low and powerful but also with some punch and grit behind it so it doesn't sound as round, if you get me, and the ampeg set-up i tried sounded perfect but i'm not sure about the practibility/affordability of it. I tried a GK head and cab, it was one with an overdrive channel, but i didn't really like it, wot sort of higher end stuff do they do then? Thanks for the bass recommedations tho, i will try them out, but I did like the Warwick, had this dual knob thing that sounded great when it was cranked

8. +1. Can't say enough about my '08' MIA Jazz V. People say it has 1 basic sound, but I find that in the 3 different bands I play in, it fits right into a sweet spot with each band - AMAZING TONE!!:D

9. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    You can make a jazz bass work in many genres.

10. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Well the famous Timmy C sounds have been a Jazz Bass and a 2eq StingRay. I happen to love both, and you cannot go wrong with those tried and true staples.

I have had three active Standard Corvettes, and realized I devloped vices against the tone of bubbinga as a tonewood.
    And the necks aren't "sleek" at all. A Jazz has a sleek neck.

But the one piece of advice I'd give, is to buy everything used. Your dollar will get you those more expensive toys. It's doesn't seem you're looking at anything that can't be found used.

11. Weismayr42

Weismayr42

Sep 17, 2008
    Thanks to everyone for the tips, I've been checking out each of the recommendations and I'm looking forward to getting out there and playing a few.
    Does anyone know of any practical amps that would work at local gigs with something like a Fender Jazz or Lakland, I'd really like to get some kind of half-stack and someone has recommended Mark Bass as something to try out. Also, I live in England, so does anyone know of any websites that sell these kind of basses that aren't in dollars.
    Thanks again

12. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville

Points downward at my signature....

Play a ton of basses and go with whatever YOU like best and feels best to you and motivates you to become better. NOTHING else matters.

And where you're 19 and just moved out, DON'T strap yourself financially in order to get high priced gear. You can become a great bass player with inexpensive gear just as easy as you can by being in debt and having great gear.

Be smart.

13. benj296

benj296

Sep 7, 2008
    you should look at a nice upright.

Go to www.stringemporium.com and look around.

Great basses, low price.

take my word for it, i own a thompson which is sold on that site.

if you are considering this, hurry, before prices go up because they are great basses.

as for electric, fender jazz.

Good Luck!!! :bassist:

14. okTem

okTem

Jul 15, 2008
    Istanbul, Turkey
    +1... period!

Find the bass that suits your taste the best and get a used but good in shape head and a cab.. Don't ever make it expensive. It's YOU that makes the music not your equipment.

15. BadB

BadB

May 25, 2005
    USA
    I say play whatever bass you like and accept no substitutes. I also say play though whatever rig you like and accept no substitutes. If that happens to a Warwick Corvette and an Ampeg VR, save for them. Otherwise, you'll end up like the rest of us, chasing the elusive "sound that's in my head".

16. Weismayr42

Weismayr42

Sep 17, 2008
    Thanks for those last posts guys, despite my lack of knowledge of basses I practically live to play, I love it and I'm just glad my mind is in the right place in the sense that I want to get better and learn more. I'll update with how my search is going for the new set-up, keeping everything in mind, particularly about going for what feels right to, that's kinda given me abit more belief in myself, thanks guys.

17. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    The biggest mistake you can make is trying a bass outside your band and thinking it will sound good with your band. What I do is know what the sound I like with my band sounds like when I play by myself and judge all basses against that sound. I hate my band sound when I'm playing by myself.

Warwicks are great basses, I've owned a few myself. But you really need to know how to get a good tone out of them. My soundman admitted that bass was his weakpoint so I found something more mainstream that he didn't have to work as hard at.