im getting a fretless... HELP?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzman, May 3, 2004.

1. Fuzzman

May 3, 2004
    hi all

my boss bribed me to work over easter weekend, he said he will get me a new guitar if the new project was all ready by the next tuesday!

haha... sucker.. i had finished it before the weekend anyway.

SO!.. i wanna get me a fretless..

i was thinking maybe a yamaha, or a cort.
    any ideas?

my Fender J treats me well, i would like something refreshingly different.

Fuzz :help:
  2. AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Main suggestions I have since I don't know the price-range you are thinking about, are to get an ebony fingerboard and to have a bridge pickup (with or without a neck pickup)...not a P-bass pickup positioning! The ebony fingerboard for long you can use round wound strings to get great growl. The bridge pickup is essential for a great fretless sound. On my main instrument which is a 5 string fretless Wal, I only use the bridge pickup. A fretless Jazz is actually a great choice. A Stingray is another. A Buzz bass from Pedulla is great. And of course, a Wal would be perfect!

Good luck!
  3. Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Get a semi hollow with a pickup in the sweetspot and a piezo. that way you can have that growl with the roundwounds and the magnetic pup or you could try nylon tapewounds with the piezo to get an upright sound.

perhaps this will do the trick? A Spector
  4. mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    I recently played a 5 string fretless Peavey Cirrus at a music store and I was really impressed. I don't know what wood it was made of but the bass was blue with a kind of flamey top. Great sounding and really easy to play (though I'm no fretless pro). The music store was selling it for about 1/3 (!) of the original price. One of these will be my next bass...

5. dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    First, I have to know where you work to have you boss offer a guitar.
    Second, I have to know if they are hiring.