Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

im getting a fretless... HELP?!?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Fuzzman, May 3, 2004.

1. Fuzzman

Fuzzman

May 3, 2004
    hi all

my boss bribed me to work over easter weekend, he said he will get me a new guitar if the new project was all ready by the next tuesday!

haha... sucker.. i had finished it before the weekend anyway.

SO!.. i wanna get me a fretless..

i was thinking maybe a yamaha, or a cort.
    any ideas?

my Fender J treats me well, i would like something refreshingly different.

Fuzz :help:

2. AndroWal

AndroWal

Sep 28, 2003
    Ojai, CA
    Main suggestions I have since I don't know the price-range you are thinking about, are to get an ebony fingerboard and to have a bridge pickup (with or without a neck pickup)...not a P-bass pickup positioning! The ebony fingerboard for long wear...so you can use round wound strings to get great growl. The bridge pickup is essential for a great fretless sound. On my main instrument which is a 5 string fretless Wal, I only use the bridge pickup. A fretless Jazz is actually a great choice. A Stingray is another. A Buzz bass from Pedulla is great. And of course, a Wal would be perfect!

Good luck!

3. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Get a semi hollow with a pickup in the sweetspot and a piezo. that way you can have that growl with the roundwounds and the magnetic pup or you could try nylon tapewounds with the piezo to get an upright sound.

[​IMG]
    perhaps this will do the trick? A Spector www.spectorbass.com

4. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    I recently played a 5 string fretless Peavey Cirrus at a music store and I was really impressed. I don't know what wood it was made of but the bass was blue with a kind of flamey top. Great sounding and really easy to play (though I'm no fretless pro). The music store was selling it for about 1/3 (!) of the original price. One of these will be my next bass...

/MrBaloo

5. dedmyers

dedmyers

Dec 23, 2003
    Tennessee
    First, I have to know where you work to have you boss offer a guitar.
    Second, I have to know if they are hiring.