Im getting a what?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by odie, Mar 28, 2002.

1. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well Im pretty sure my lady friend is getting me a Fender frettless from basspalace. But now Im thinking to myself "SELF I want to learn to play this the proper way and I just dont want to play the stuff I know with a frettless vibe"

Im in a cover band and we play the "newer" stuff. Godsmack, TooL, RHCP etc. But Im hoping the fretless will force me into trying and playing more classy stuff.

Give me some hints, some avenues to explore and I dont mean the dark alley-ways!!

2. Tronictq

Jan 23, 2001
    The fretless won't force you into anything. You have to want to do it, especially jazz. Hopefully the fretless may "inpsire" you into other genres of music, not force :)

Good luck with all and enjoy the bass! I'll never play a fretted again!

3. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    You'll have to find your own voice on the instrument, we can't help with that. Just make sure that your voice has good intonation. :)

The more time you put on it, the better your feel and ear will be. These are important aspects to strong intonation. For me, fretless helped develop my ear. I have spent, and continue to spend, many hours in the dark with nothing but my tuner and a prayer.
  4. Try doing medium slow slides downward in pitch. Way cool, and it doesn't sound the same on a fretted bass. Just the difference in tone alone will have you playing differently.

If you're thinking "classy" why not go all the way... with classical! Pick up a book of Bach 2-part inventions at your music store and learn a few, assuming you read standard notation. If not, now would be a great time to learn. :D

Just my .02c -- happy half-steps!
  5. odie

odie Supporting Member

Well thats part of me getting the fretless. Im hoping it will develop a better ear. I dont read standard very well. Actually it's been along time and it was'nt Bass clef(bad bad bad bad!!).

Im debating about learning standard notation and maybe instruction somewhere. I've been looking but no luck finding anyone that is recommended.

Any good fretless books for dummies?
  6. Odie, I'm afraid I don't know of any fretless books, but there are many people on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I in that area. Check out the Technique board for posts about fretless, where people have posted links to good articles in the past.

There's a post (I believe on this board, General Instruction) called "Bass Instructors, do they even exist?" where someone posted a link that may help you find a teacher in your area.
  7. From the tone of your question, I have to ask myself, why is this guy getting a fretless? If you were really into the fretless sound and feel, you would know without asking what the answer will be. Learn to play in tune. I'm not trying to diss you, I just hope you realise that fretless bass is a lifelong study.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Actually Im really into the sound and the feel. Im just trying to avoid all the pitfalls I had with learning freted bass. Just looking for some good examples of books and videos that can help with out with the in's and outs of playing a fretless.

Sorry if the tone of my question lead anyone to think that I was unsure of getting one. I realize it's a life long study, and Ive decided that I want to put the effort into learning fretless the proper way. I love the feel and sound, I feel more connected to it. Its just where I am there is very little exposure to it.