Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm getting a Roscoe Century 6.... lefty!!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by NJL, Mar 15, 2006.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Well, after getting screwed by "another" bass manufacturer (they apparently can't read... along with the people who actually makes their bodies)... they made me a right handed body and not a lefty. :rolleyes: That's fine, it's over and definitely done with.

With the order already paid in full, I decided to "transfer" that money to a more reputable maker (an actual luthier and master craftsman) - I should of just done this in the first place.... PLUS brother Gard works there so I know everything will come out PERFECT! I will have to pay some more, but it's well worth it and my wife is totally supporting this deal. :smug:

I have been chatting with a few people about this (actually a lot of people) and I feel that this was a really good thing that the "other" manufacturer messed up because:

NOW I'M GETTING A REAL BASS!!!!

Here are the spec's:

Roscoe Century 6 Lefty (they have "lefty" marked in about five places throughout the order :D:D:D )
    19mm String Spacing
    Wenge Fretboard
    Standard Neck
    Black Hardware
    Aguilar 3 Band
    Ash Body
    Spalted Maple Top
    Diamondwood Nut (because it's a 6 String)

I'm sure that through out the process, Gard will keep me filled in and I will report back... :)

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Sorry to hear about your trouble Carlos , I bet a really awesome burst would look cool over that spalted maple top.

3. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Is this going to be a flat or carved top Century?

Any particular reason why you went with the Century over the SKB?

4. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I'm a bit confused. Did you want a lefty bass, or a regular one? You know, most leftys should just shut up and play regular basses and be thankful, because they're actually gonna be better on a regular bass because their left hand is better at fretting and blah blah blah, congrats on the new bass! :D

5. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Flat.. that's all I can afford! :D :(

I went with the Century because of the extended upper horn…. Any threat of neck dive really scares me – I have a Warwick Corvette 6 that dives like a bomb. I need a bass to stay were I put it due to the fact that my wrists don’t twist normally (also the main reason I play lefty… which is not by choice).

:)

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I hope this is a bad joke.

7. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    Man, you will not be sorry going the Roscoe route. I was just up at the shop yesterday and they have some killer spalted maple tops in stock. Keep us all updated.

Shawn

8. Shawnost

Shawnost It's all about the Hamiltons baby! Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2004
    Huntersville, NC
    BTW the SKB body isn't that prone to neck dive (not even a whiff of it on my 6), but the extended upper horn on the Century will make sure it's not an issue. Either way, it's going to be awesome.

Shawn

9. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    You're killing me!!!! :D

Gard and I are looking at what I might want... i'm finding pics on the web for him to give him an idea of what I want...

:)

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Hey, my name is Carlos and I'm lefty too! And I hate unbalanced basses too! My long-lost twin brother!

Congrats on the Roscoe. I'm amazed that the Century body shape is not more popular - everybody seems to like the small LG.

. . .wonder who was that maker that screwed up your lefty order. . . ?

11. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    I was hoping it was a good one. I'm a lefty, and you cannot imagine how many times I've heard that one myself....sorry to hear about why you play lefty, tho.

12. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Sounds sweet. Have you picked out the actual top? Edit, you already answered that.

I forget what the "standard neck" is, but I can look it up.

Could you let me know the "other" manufacturer though? PM is fine. It's one thing to be nit-picky, but that's a pretty big error!!!;)

And people, never tell a Rotweiller owner to shut up. :D

Marshall

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Dig the specs, should be great :)

14. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I know that many disagree but after owning 3 SKB 6's I feel that the shorter upper horn is a real issue. I found that playing for any period of time in the lower frets made my hand sore. This doesn't happen with the F Bass that I have now.

Have you considered doing a 34" scale 6 string? I have no doubts that you'd lose nothing with the shorter scale on the Roscoe. The neck is so beefed up with graphite and steel that it really adds to the taughtness of the lower strings.

Great choice on a bass!

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, hell, do you have anything for sale.

:D :D :D

16. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Another Roscoe-head in the making! Excellent choice, this one is gonna be yet another beauty!

17. poptart

poptart Commercial User

Sep 13, 2005
    UK
    Owner: Bass Direct
    Congrats on your choice - the Century is a good choice and fairly uncommon to. Looking forward to seeing some updates.;)

18. NJL,
    Congrats on the Roscoe 6. I bet you're looking at a killer bass with that recipe.

Regarding your experience with "another company", (I've been there myself:rollno: ) Keith is working on my 3rd Roscoe. They have my confidence in not only build, craftsmanship, and tone....but also customer service. Without going into detail on my situation, you can be sure you chose a company that is willing to bend over backward for the customer.

Plus, Gard makes me laugh :D .............sometimes :eek:

;)

19. bassthumpa

bassthumpa

Aug 31, 2004
    Austin, TX
    Can someone post pics of the flat and carved Century bodies, along with an SKB for comparison?