Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm getting ahead of myself.. or am I?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Nadav, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Nadav

Nadav

Nov 13, 2004
    Atlanta, GA
    So, let's see. I've been playing bass for less than a year (probably around half), using an old Squier that I got from a friend. It works, but I feel like it's time to step up. I'm rather unsure of what I'd like to get, but I'm planning on heading out to Guitar Center or one of the atlanta bass stores some time soon.
    Anyway.. I can't really say why, but I've really been drooling over getting an ERB (a 6 or 7). Thing is, I don't know if I *need* to jump the gun or stick with something a little more basic until I get some more experience.
    Any comments?
    If you're an ERB player, when did you start playing them?

:help:

2. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Well, go try some. Then see what you think of it. That's the best advice. You know some of the basics of playing bass. Now see if you want a few extra strings. You have some monetary things to consider, including a bigger string pricetag. But other than that, if it works for you, go for it. I play mainly 4's, but have at most played 5, and one six. I have never needed anything more, personally. If you find a 4 works betterfor you, then stick with it for now.