1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm getting crackling and popping from my pedal board, please advise!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by scuzzy, Dec 23, 2018.

1. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    I simplified my board thinking I solved it, but it came back today. I am running a daisy chain off a one spot.

Tuner>compressor>octave>grit>grit.

It seems to take a while to start but when it does, it worsens. It is quite loud and very concerning. I know it's the board, because when I run direct into the amp, the cracking stops. Is it the power supply? Help!

2. Dave W

Dave W

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    My guess would be a bad cable or jack.

3. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    Right, I'm with @Dave W, bad cable or jack.
    So many variables to consider.
    Could be a bad patch cable.
    Could be an input/output jack on a pedal.
    Could be something not right in the daisy chain cable.
    Could be the One-spot itself.
    Could be the power jacks on one of the pedals.
    Could be the outlet you're plugged into.

Do some real investigating.

4. Stranger Danger

Stranger Danger Feel Like A Stranger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Texas
  5. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    If it is absent then progressively worsens, it seems unlikely to be a patch cable or Jack, especially since movement doesn't cause the crackling.

I'll try a different patch cable and if that doesn't help, I'll try deleting pedals. It will take a long time though, as it took over 3 hours of rehearsal and waiting for it to start this morning. Not really a "quick" thing to investigate.

I was mostly posting to see if anyone had experienced this with certain power supply setups, or knew a simple problem I was unaware of.

6. tshapiro

tshapiro Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2015
    Jax Florida
    Also, you'll want to pick up a cable tester.

These things are usually a pain to solve. Be prepared to have a second power supply to test with and try pulling out or swapping out each component until you have it narrowed down.

I know you said it's not your bass, it's worth looking at the connections to the input jact, knobs, and pickups. If you have an ohm test you should test the solder joints

SunnBass likes this.
  7. SunnBass

SunnBass All these blankets saved my life.

Aug 31, 2010
    Columbia, Mo
    After 30+ years of playing music, based on my personal experiences, this isn't necessarily true.
    Check them ALL!

tshapiro likes this.
  8. I have had that problem this year. Make sure to secure unused plugs from your daisy chain to prevent short circuits. It wasn’t the problem I had, but it’s a probable cause.

For me, it was the One Spot dying slowly. It died. Replaced by a Donner knockoff that works just as well.

scuzzy likes this.
  9. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    The bass can be unplugged, and/or the tuner muted, and it did it with 3 different basses. I'll start swapping components to see what I can find.

I will check them over, thanks for the advice. I know my bbe opto stomp, though a great compressor, has very poor jacks I have repaired several times, I will check there first.

SunnBass likes this.
  10. bigtiny

bigtiny

Jun 20, 2010
    Cambridge, MA
    I would check the following in this order:
    -cables (check all of them or replace them, including the patch cables between pedals)
    -power supply (substitute new power supply or use batteries for test)
    -remove pedals (if it's not cables or power supply, the pedals themselves are left)

scuzzy likes this.
  11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    So I can't get it to reproduce at home :/

I left the pedal board plugged in for hours and checked for crackles, nothing. I changed to a different one spot and it cause more hum than the boss psa power supply, but still no crackles.

Curious if it is some strange interplay with my tube amp. I guess it could be the tube amp, but why would it completely stop every time I run direct?

12. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    unable to reproduce the problem at the house, curious what would happen today while playing. apparently it is BOTH my american sound and california sound pedals. it started mildly and I took awhile all pedals, started adding back during rehearsal, and those two were causing problems. good to know. very strange. just glad its not my amp.