Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm Getting Po'ed (this IS about basses)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cyklone777, Jun 11, 2001.

1. A really stupid problem: I seriously don't know if I should stick with the 4 string tuned BEAD or just get a 5 string. I mean I like the 4 string more cuz it's easier to play and if I had a 5 I'd never use the high G probably ever. But I play in a band with 2 7 string guitars and I don't know why but I had some thoughs that it's not "right", that I should have a 5, and plus I wouldn't have to tune down or modify it at all.. See, a REALLY stupid problem, well more like a dilemma. I'm thinking just play whatever I want. Okay I answered my own question. :rolleyes: Any opinions?

2. What does it mean when the "replies" and the "views" have "-"'s in them?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That means that your thread got moved to another forum, Miscellaneous in this case.

As always, I say get a 5 string.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was wondering about that, too.

As far as what bass to get...beats me;)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just figured that out, Jeff. Where are we headed next?

:)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Getting dangerously close to Off Topic.:)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a five string.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could always get a Schecter Scorpion for ~$600
    at M/F...35" scale, meant to be tuned B-E-A-D.
    It got so-so reviews in BP (EMG-HZ pups? :rolleyes: ) .

Don't look to Warmoth fer he'p...I emailed `em to see
    if they could build a 35" scale, 4-string (fretless :D )
    neck..."no templates" == no sale! :(:mad: .

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this about "Basses"? :D

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds like a serious case of string envy. Get a 5 or better yet, get ya one of those JT surf boards.

CURED!!!

Mike

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Get a five string. Try many different kinds in the store. Buy the one that is most comfortable for your hand and has the tone you like. I don't know what kind of speaker you have, but a fifteen inch speaker often handles the low frequencies of a B string better, but try out the bass you are interested in with as close to the kind of stage rig you have.

Even if you don't often use the G-string, so what? Maybe some day you will because you may not always be playing the style of music you play now. You may play in a band with guitarists who have six strings, not seven. Then you may want and need that G string.

12. get a five, you might not use the high g now, but in the long run, you'll probly adventuly use it. have it there, and dont use it. Then when you want to use it, you'll have it.

13. Yeah I don't really like the Scorpions. I think my next bass will be a 5...I just learned this song that uses the high G for one note and if you don't have it you gotta go way up on the neck. By the way I have a 4x10 cab. I'll probably get a BTB or maybe a Schecter Custom 5 string, they're in MF for like about $530.

14. If your going on if it'll look better get a 5 string but on your personal playing as far as being comfortable stay with a down tuned 4. I have small hands but i play a 5 because i use all the strings. Not very comfortable

15. I agree with Muttluk on this one. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.