I'm Getting Po'ed (this IS about basses)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by cyklone777, Jun 11, 2001.

1. A really stupid problem: I seriously don't know if I should stick with the 4 string tuned BEAD or just get a 5 string. I mean I like the 4 string more cuz it's easier to play and if I had a 5 I'd never use the high G probably ever. But I play in a band with 2 7 string guitars and I don't know why but I had some thoughs that it's not "right", that I should have a 5, and plus I wouldn't have to tune down or modify it at all.. See, a REALLY stupid problem, well more like a dilemma. I'm thinking just play whatever I want. Okay I answered my own question. :rolleyes: Any opinions?

2. What does it mean when the "replies" and the "views" have "-"'s in them?

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

That means that your thread got moved to another forum, Miscellaneous in this case.

As always, I say get a 5 string.

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I was wondering about that, too.

As far as what bass to get...beats me;)

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I just figured that out, Jeff. Where are we headed next?

:)

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Supporting Member

Getting dangerously close to Off Topic.:)

7. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Get a five string.

8. notduane

notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    You could always get a Schecter Scorpion for ~$600
    at M/F...35" scale, meant to be tuned B-E-A-D.
    It got so-so reviews in BP (EMG-HZ pups? :rolleyes: ) .

Don't look to Warmoth fer he'p...I emailed `em to see
    if they could build a 35" scale, 4-string (fretless :D )
    neck..."no templates" == no sale! :(:mad: .

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Isn't this about "Basses"? :D

10. mikemulcahy

mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Sounds like a serious case of string envy. Get a 5 or better yet, get ya one of those JT surf boards.

CURED!!!

Mike

11. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Get a five string. Try many different kinds in the store. Buy the one that is most comfortable for your hand and has the tone you like. I don't know what kind of speaker you have, but a fifteen inch speaker often handles the low frequencies of a B string better, but try out the bass you are interested in with as close to the kind of stage rig you have.

Even if you don't often use the G-string, so what? Maybe some day you will because you may not always be playing the style of music you play now. You may play in a band with guitarists who have six strings, not seven. Then you may want and need that G string.

12. get a five, you might not use the high g now, but in the long run, you'll probly adventuly use it. have it there, and dont use it. Then when you want to use it, you'll have it.

13. Yeah I don't really like the Scorpions. I think my next bass will be a 5...I just learned this song that uses the high G for one note and if you don't have it you gotta go way up on the neck. By the way I have a 4x10 cab. I'll probably get a BTB or maybe a Schecter Custom 5 string, they're in MF for like about $530.

14. If your going on if it'll look better get a 5 string but on your personal playing as far as being comfortable stay with a down tuned 4. I have small hands but i play a 5 because i use all the strings. Not very comfortable

15. I agree with Muttluk on this one. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.