Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

IM GOIN TO SEATTLE!!! WOO HOO

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by DEFELDUS, Oct 14, 2003.

1. hey guys, this christmas i will be making a trip with my girlfriend to her dads wedding. she is from seattle, and he still lives there. im really excited, this will be the first time ive got to spend a lot of time in a big city outside of school/band trips. plus i get to spend all that time with her! anyways, who here is from there? any things i should check out as far as bass related things?

in other words, what should i do when im there? i know ill be with her the whole time, so any recommendations for stuff we'll both enjoy? i would love to go to a good jazz club or something (she sings in the choir and jazz choir at school) so any suggestions?

yippee! :)

2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    dude, you gotta go to bass northwest...it's on yesler way a couple blocks up from the ferry terminal. check out the space needle and the market, too...cool stuff.

3. i live close to seattle i love it there the security is nice and its fun there also creepy

4. Headroom

Headroom

Apr 5, 2002
    You could check out the rock and roll museum next to the Space Needle. Admission is twenty bucks for adults. Here's a link for more info:

http://www.emplive.com/

5. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    oh yeah, check out Experience Music Project, too...that's pretty cool

6. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Bass Northwest and the Experience Music Project.

I presume that the Hendrix display is permanent...I felt kind of weird after viewing it as Noel Redding played through some 100 wattish Sunn tube amps and 2x15 cabinets...made me wonder what the heck do I need the wall of gear that I have (with 3400 total watts of power) for doing what I do???

Bass Northwest will BLOW YOUR MIND!!! Floor to ceiling basses/amps/cabinets. It was sensory overload for me and I really had to take a moment to calm down before I could figure out where to start.

A few years ago, I sought out Jimi Hendrix' grave site in Renton (IIRC). Some homeless hippies came out of the woods and offered to make a rubbing of Jimi's grave stone for me. This totally freaked out my wife, who promptly dragged the kids back to the car.

Pike Street Market is fun...watch them throw fish, buy her some flowers, etc.

Ivers for chowder...

Red Hook Brewery tour?:D Red Hook ESB on tap is beyond description...

I've always wanted to do the Underground Seattle tour, but never find the time.

If you go up north a bit, the Boeing tour is interesting.

7. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    I'm a Seattlite who is currently missing my hometown because I'm stuck at college. You definitely have to go to the Experience Music Project- it's pretty fabulous. They also have fun concerts there occasionally. If you're just looking for a place to hang out, Broadway on Capitol Hill (just east of downtown) is funky, and is home to Dick's drive-in ;) , which is a local institution of sorts...

Pike Place Market and the Space Needle are also classic tourist traps. The Underground tour is Ok, but I wouldn't put it too high on the priority list. Bass Northwest on the other hand, is totally worth the trip.

Oh, and everyone will know you're a tourist if you carry an umbrella. :D

Have fun!

8. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ Supporting Member

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Good point about the umbrella.

When I was in college up in Michigan's Upper Penninsula, we could tell if a girl was visiting from downstate because she carried a purse, didn't wear hiking boots in the winter and wore a lot of make up...

The male/female ratio was about 3.5 to 1 so the girls didn't have to try too hard to look good;)

Hey via satellite...how about a shop like The Trading Musician? Worthwhile?

9. via satellite

via satellite

Sep 16, 2003
    It's funny that you mentioned the Trading Musician, because I was considering mentioning them...Last time I was there I bought *another* electric violin for the oh-so-reasonable price of $250, with case and bow. :cool: Granted, it was a VERY CRAPPY electric violin, especially compared to some others I have, but it is a most excellent thing to sort of thrash about. Anyway, it's a fun shop, and you can find some totally good deals there. As I recall, they have a pretty cool selection of used amps there, too.

In that vein of things, acoustic bassists might be interested in Hammond Ashley, a luthier place just south of Seattle (very close to SeaTac airport). They make some really beautiful instruments, and have a nice selection of older instruments as well. They also have some electric uprights, and (of course) some nifty electric violins...:rolleyes:

Groovy.

10. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    i remember when i went to seattle... and it was like all the life in me was sucked out.

11. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    There is also Bass Church. I've never been there, but i get a snobby, suit and tie vibe off of them. I think you have to schedule an appointment. :confused:

MY favorite place in seattle is probably the ave (university way in the university district.) They have a lot of used cds, dirt cheap vinyl, various ethnic food, and a movie theater (with some others not too far away.) A new jazz venue opened up called The Triple Door, but i know nothing about it except i want to get tickets for the bad plus from them. There is also the jazz alley (www.jazzalley.com) that brings in a lot of nationally/internationally known musicians.

12. tonedef

tonedef

Oct 18, 2001
    Carlisle, England
    Go 2 Wingdome, best chicken wings ever!, its in the Uni district.

13. Aaron

Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    The abbreviated version is "u-district." :D

For jazz clubs there is also Tula's which is mainly local acts. It appears that the venue "On The Boards" has some jazz shows (i'm seeing Micheal Henderson there, btw.) EMP has a jazz in january thing. But it appears the biggest jazz season here is october/november, but i'm not quite sure.