I'm going AMPEG!!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by BASSnSAX, Mar 23, 2002.

1. Monday I'm gonna pick up an Ampeg SVT-3 Pro, an Ampeg 2x10 Pro cab and put an Ampeg 1x15 Pro cab on layaway!!!!
  2. cronus

cronus Guest

Jan 17, 2002
    Romulus, Michigan
    ive heard bad things about the svt 3 pro make sure you really like it
  3. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Yes, I wouldn´t reckomend that amp even to my worst enemy. Had one and sold it. It just gave me trouble and it had no headroom.
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    If I were looking for an amp that has valves only in the preamp, I'd try to find something cheaper, such as SWR or something like that...

Not sure the SVT3-Pro is the best one in its category, unless you get a very good deal on it...

All the best,
  5. I own an ampeg SVT4-pro...kicks ass...i never really liked the svt3...just didnt sound right to me...i would reccomend gettin a used svt4..they rock!
  6. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    BTW, what cabinets would you recommend for use with a SVT4-Pro ? SVT 810 E ? Other ?

All the best,
  7. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    well. i am in the same boat with you. I am going ampeg..

I'm going with an Ampeg BSE-410 HLF and eventually gonna through on an SVT-4pro.. because I too have heard some negative things about the SVT-3s.... but i have also heard they were really good.. so just play until you find something you like
  8. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    I like Ampeg but went with the SVP-Pro preamp and a QSC Powerlight power amp. Great sound and the walls rattle. I found them used; cost a little more than a new SVT3Pro.
  9. dancinDaveNY

Sep 27, 2001
    Western NY
    I've owned ALL the Ampeg models at one time or another, from old 70s SVTs to the newer hybrid SVT II, SVT3, and SVT4.(I missed the SVT5) I've also owned lots of other brands of bass amps i.e. Eden, SWR, Peavey etc. etc. and have always gone back to Ampeg. It's my sound.
    What I've ended up with and I love is the Ampeg SVP-Pro preamp. This way you can use the power amp of your choice, I use Mackie and will probably upgrade to QSC when finances provide, and also the cabinets of your choice. Right now my rig is great and is: MTD or Modulus bass into SVP-Pro to Mackie M1400i power amp to either Ampeg 4x10pro and Ampeg 1x18pro, OR, the same basses, pre and power into (2)Eden 2x10s and (1)Eden 1x15 cabs. I use the Eden cabs in clubs inside and the Ampeg cabs for concerts and outside festivals. Both cabinets systems sound great. There are so many options with pre/power, you just can't go wrong to spend the money up front and then concentrate on the music where it counts. Of course, YMMV.
    <smiles> dD
  10. cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    There is some good advice in this thread and others. Do a search and you will read the same message over and over. My advice is make sure and play the SVT3 pro through the 210 and 15 before you buy even if you aren't buying all three pieces right now. If you like the way it sounds then that's the rig for you. You should seriously think about the SVP pro pre amp and separate power amp. Also try other Ampeg amps out including the B series to see if you like any of them better. After listening, I opted for the B4R over the SVT3 pro that I thought I wanted.
  11. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I owned an SVT III Pro. I used it @ many gigs & I was always heard, it sounded good, & all that. I sold it because I got a GREAT deal on an SVT II PRO.

Personally, I think the B2R hear sounds louder & better then the SVT III. When I worked @ Sam Ash, I used to A/B them all the time & I couldn't understand how the less expensive, lower powered B2R sounded better & louder @ similiar settings.

If the store has the B2R, A/B them through the cabs your buying.
  12. Well, there's also a SVT-BSP and some older Ampeg power amp at the music store I want to buy it from, too...how would that sound? Or does anyone know of any decently cheap power amps?
  13. j.s.basuki

j.s.basuki Supporting Member

May 14, 2000
    I thought the SVT 2 is an all tube head , not a hybrid one like you said. I have one and it is heavy like hell.
  14. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I use an SVT4Pro with 2 SVT410 HLF's for larger gigs, and just use one for smaller bar/club gigs. The HLF's produce some SERIOUS low end, without being "boomy" or "muddy".

I went with the HLF's for 2 reasons:
    1. I wanted 2 410 cabs, so I had the versatility of only using one of them when needed.
    2. I thought they were the best sounding cab that Ampeg makes. I tried every cabinet/combination of cabinets that GC had available. And to my ears, the HLF's kicked ass over the others.
  15. Steven Green

Steven Green

Jul 25, 2001
    Pacific NW
    Just the the SVP pre and a Carvin DCM1000 power amp (1,000W for ONLY $369!). That will beat the SVT-3 PRO and will cost about the same!
  16. Congrats dude - dont let the nay-sayers get you down. Although it seems like some of these heads do have problems from time to time, mine has never had one problem and it sounds great. I run mine through Ampegs 4x10 and a 1x18 - kicks butt.

I use Macs, drive a VW Scirocco, and play my Fender through my Ampeg - all brands you either love or hate :D Now you're part of the elite corps!

17. I like my SVT3 -pro, and have never had any trouble with it, but am sometimes wishing I would have gotten the pre and power amp seperates setup. I run it into the BSE410-HLF and like it. I plan on getting an 8x10. Buy what your ears like.
  18. well you could always get a poweramp and use the SVT's tube preamp. It'd make for a heavy rack though :)

19. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Ampeg makes great gear, IMHO. I also know that other manufacturers make great gear. Play as many brands as you can and decide what your sound is. I don't believe you can go wrong with any decision you make. Good luck.:D
  20. Here's my two cents worth. Sounds like a great rig. I own a SVT III Pro and while it may not be as loud as some amps rated at 450 watts, it will get the job done with the right speaker cabs, settings and e.q. I've had mine for a year, gig with it often and it does a great job. I too thought that it was under powered, but I talked with Ampeg about it and they gave me some tips on getting maximum volume and tone. The numbr one tip - set the master volume at full up all the time, just as you would with a P.A. amplifier. Vary the volume with the gain control. This is just the opposite of what I thought before, but it works!

As in all products, some have their problems. I just blew up my back up/rehearsal head - an SWR WM 2004. While I loved the sound, I've had problems with it on thermal shutdown when driven hard. I also had an SWR 1 x 15 cab with a defective driver. As in any product, YMMV.

Best of luck with the new rig - I'm sure you will like it.