Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going direct!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë, Apr 11, 2001.

1. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I've decided to sell my combo amp to buy an Ibanez 5-string and use my SABDDI to run it into my bands PA system.

I've done this before and i liked the sound i get more than the one i get from my combo. I dont use any effects so my setup will be nice and simple.

Does anyone else do this?

2. tried it when i didn't have my amp handy and we had a small show. more high end than i want, though

3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Hey, Primate, what if you got a chance to Jam with some people and needed to have a combo?

It's wise not to be too dependent on the band's equipment, eben if you own a percentage of it.

Will C.:cool:

4. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I've got a Kustom amp for that kinda stuff. Its a 15 watt combo amp.

I've been thinking this through for quite a while and I think its the best thing for me to do.

I think i'm gonna need a floor monitor to help hear myself better though...

5. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I'd e-mail you, but I dont have your e-mail address.

My favorite song by mudvayne is probebly cradle. I love the way Chad sings the high pitched thing during the bridge of the song. When I first heard it I thought it was a guitar solo.

6. Yes Mudvayne rules, kiddies :D

I played through a P.A. during one of our shows cuz is messed, and it really blew. I ran straight into the channel (no processor or anything) and I was literally fxcking with the e.q. mid song for our whole set. At the beginning I had a decent tone, but as I tweaked it more, I got a really thin, shxtty tone, then I turned the level up to try and get more low end, but I ended up getting this fuzzy overdriven sound. Probably not very good for the p.a., oh well, it wasn't ours ;)

7. Dude, me too...it goes into the bridge and it's like "wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaoooooooooooooooo", it does sound like a guitar. BTW my fave songs are probably Everything and Nothing and Severed (Ryan's fretless work in the latter is badass!)

8. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Everything and Nothing is an awsome song.

- 1 is a great song too. Very "punchy" bass and I love the singing in it.

9. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I agree with Big Wheel...thats NOT a good idea. Should you ever leave the band, youre stuck. A 15 watt amp won't cut it with a drummer...ANY drummer! Thats a bad idea.

Dude, especially dont sell it to get that Ibanez. Bleh, i've never really heard tone i liked from those. I'd look into something else...

10. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I've been in my band for 2 years with 3 friends that i've known for over 8 years, we have 7 songs written and we get along fine. We have plans for what we're all gonna do after high school and they all involve our band. I dont think we're gonna break up.

And Angus...

"I've never really heard tone I liked from those"

Have you ever thought that maybe I like the tone from it? Too late, I already bought it and I love it. I never asked for an opinion on the bass did I?

11. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    You never know what can happen. I wouldn't do it still.

Im free to give my opinion if i want; you can ignore it, but no need to be rude. But i still wouldn't get rid of the combo. You never really know what can happen.

12. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    TX
    I must say I agree with the others Primate...

depending on others' equipment is NOT a good idea, even if it is your band members/best friends. You never really know what exactly might happen....a 15 watt amp ain't gonna get you nowhere if something does end up happening.

Remember...expect the unexpected.

13. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    I'm planning on buying a powered stage monitor so I can hear myself better, so if something ever did happen with my band, i'll still be able to use it as an amp.

14. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Why don't use a bass amp as that "powered stage monitor"? :)

15. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Because a stage monitor is smaller and cheaper than a bassamp.

16. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Then what if you end up playing in another band, that does not own a PA? :)
    Oh, sorry, I should stop this.

17. Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë

Ïn±ë®nål¦P®ÏMå±Ë Guest

Feb 14, 2001
    Canada
    Even if they didnt have a PA, I could still use the powered stage monitor.