1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Im going mad!!!! Rickenbacker back pup issues

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by tommy cass, Nov 2, 2018.

1. tommy cass

tommy cass Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2016
    Any ideas on why my treble pup would go out on my 2000 4003? I can hear a faint sound.
    Ive been having issue with the input jack for years but it normally just crackles a bit and still works. I unscrewed the PickG and unscrewed the input jack plate and plugged it in, still nothing. I dont see anything touching or wires lose. 1f641.
    This is about the time I wish I had a mono 4001s! lol
    Anyone wired a stereo to mono?

2. Well, it's either open (broken wire) or shorted (steel wool hairs stuck to the back of the pickup??? I've seen it). In either case it is possible to get a faint sound.

SirMjac28 likes this.
  3. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    hummm I didnt think of that, I'll check, the factory input jack body holes are barely routed out enough to hold all the wiring and jacks :/ put that does seem to be the issue

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    If your output jack (not input) has been acting up for years you should replace it. Eventually they go bad.

BlueTalon likes this.
  5. Axstar

Axstar

Jul 8, 2016
    East of Eden.
    Sounds like it could be an issue in the switching element of the output jacks. I don't know Ricks well enough, but I know that both jacks switch, and can get funky over time as they are pushed into quite a tight space.

6. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    Im looking at maybe replacing one of the two stereo jacks with a mono switchcraft jack and eliminating the stereo. But keep it all there in case I want to track the problem and need to switch it back. I dont every use the stereo and it would simplify things if I can figure out what to unsolder and solder back :/, Im going to look at pre 1964 325 guitars without the mixer and see if that gves me and idea, I cant find a 4001s or rose morris mono 4000 series diagram

7. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    its basically two stereo plugs and you are right theres a lot of wires and the aera they are crammed into is just big enough to allow the jacks.
    Saw dust/paint chips could be covering some connections, Ill try some tuner spray before I do anything dramatic.

8. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Only the "Standard" mono output has a switch on it, the ROS jack is just a normal TRS jack, no switch on it, unlike what was posted above. You should clean the jack's tangs and the switch contacts as they can oxidize over time. Do you use a Monster brand cable? They can cause issues due to their non-standard dimensions. Another thing to check is the selector switch; same as with the jacks, the contacts can get oxidized, and the leaves can get out of shape from lots of use. The leaves can be re-bent to provide good contact, if necessary.

EdwardofHuncote likes this.
  9. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    Ive soaked the input jacks and switch with contact cleaner and sprayed a lil in the pots, waiting for it to dry

10. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    Cramming all that in two tiny holes just for tradition lol, its been done this way for 50 years and by god it will be another before we finally deside its useless, unless you are in a YES tribute band with 20 roadies to carry two Fender Showman heads and 4 ! 45395855_424551424746514_2265268453168381952_n. cabs!

11. I’ve had my 71 Ric since 1974 or so. The output jacks have never ever failed on me.
    Although, I have only used the mono jack 3-4 times or so.

tommy cass likes this.
  12. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    It mono on one side but still looks like a stereo jack to me

13. tommy cass

Dec 18, 2016
    hopefully it will start working again I really dont want to screw with it lol

14. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    That's the switch to short the two pickups's outputs together for the mono out.

15. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    I’d be more inclined to guess the pickup selector switch was causing the problem. I have had them lose connection but fixed it by simply switching back and forth a few dozen times.

16. farace

farace

Jul 9, 2016
    Connecticut USA
    I'm inclined to believe that the problem lies in the jack or switch as has been stated, but I will note for the record that on my '83 4003 I had a neck pickup that needed rewinding. Even though it was technically dead, I was still getting a very faint signal, whether through induction or ghosts in the machine, which drove me crazy trying to chase down the problem, thinking it was in the wiring. Sending the pickup on a trip to Tom Brantley made everything right again.

17. I would start with checking if the pickup has lost its ground first. The solder for the ground wire at the pickups is a weak point. Try touching the pickup surround and the bridge with
    fingers from the same hand, span with thumb and pinky, and see if it sounds normal.

18. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I Grow Organic Carrots
    Rarely Rickenbacker pickups do fail …

But …

The first thing to check is the toggle switch …

The second thing to check is the Ric-o-sound …

These are the common points of failure.

Next …

Check the wiring … look for a cold solder …

Then …

if you still have a problem remove the pickup and put it on an ohmmeter. It should read about 11k ohms.

19. Relsom

Relsom Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    Use a burnishing tool to brighten up the contacts on the selector switch.

20. ELG60

ELG60 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Mid-Florida
    Tom Brantley does really fine work...quick too.