Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by kirbywrx, May 10, 2002.

1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well, after a week on sucking up to my mum, she has finally let me go into the city, ALONE, to look at the largest bass guitar shop in the southern hemisphere...Bass Place... Nearly each and every brand of basss (i think) is sold there. I can see myself now, i walk in the doors, and fall onto the ground in the fetal position....If only i could take a camera...

But one bad thing about this is that im feared that i wont get asked if im right because im young(er). Well in ythat case ill just go up to the counter and ask for assistance. Man, when i come home tonight, you are going to get the low down...
    omg im going to the bass place omg im going to the bass place :rocks back and forth:

2. heheh u sound like me when i walked into my first guitar shop

have fun! :)
  3. I wish there was some big famous 'Bass Only' shop around me. I can only look at the same ol dusty fenders on the wall at Mars and Sam Ash for so long...
  4. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I hear ya mon...
  5. LA Bass Exchange isn't that far away, y'know. I have to drive about 2 hours to get to Bass Palace in Scranton.

This summer, I'm gonna hit House of Guitars in Rochester like nobody's business. That's supposedly one of the best music stores in the East.
  6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Spankbass ~

You live less than an hour's drive from L.A. Bass Exchange. How tough can it be to get mom to take you there on a Saturday? Also, you're even closer to the Hollywood GC, which ain't like any other GC. They carry Lakland and a full range of Eden in stock. Plus, they have the Doobie Brothers' handprints in their sidewalk. You're less than an hour and a half drive from Bass Alone, too. In addition, you have a Carvin outlet in Santa Ana (and Hollywood), GC's in Fountain Valley, El Toro, Cerritos, and San Marcos, all one-half hour to one hour away. Get with the program. I visit all of these stores plus the GC's in San Bernardino, Riverside, La Mesa and Van Nuys.
  7. P.S. You forgot the GC in Covina, but I don;t recommend it. The people there seem very apathetic and uninformed...only one guy there was able to help me find a good chord and the type of pick that I wanted. The girl behind the counter didn't know jacksh*t. In fact FORGET that I mentioned the Covina GC. :D
  8. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    what day you going in? i'm usually down there having a bash. might be able to help ya out if you're shopping?
    though if you nab that discounted stingray in the window i'll be terribly unhappy :D
  9. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Well no, there isnt a Stingray in there anymore. But they do have a very nice looking Myung Signature in there!
    I had a very constructive day in the city. I went to metal mayhem, got free metallica and slipknot stuff, and brought some badges, then i went to Missing link, a punk store, and got more posters and more badges. Then i went to smoke dreams (bong capital of victoria) and i met...BLOOD DUSTER, Australias equavilent to Slipknot. I said hey and they go "Hey hows your mum" and i said " Whoa, i was gonna ask you the same thing!!" and their drummer threw a CD at me. I got a UV necklace thing, and then decided to walk the 5 or some Kilometers to Bass Place.

I walked in there, and the first thing i saw was a Thumb neck thru 5. I nearly...did something dirty in my pants. :D:cool: I walked around and asked the guy if i could try some basses. He plugged me into a SWR head and cab rig (dont know the specs) and said "Grab what you want, play it, then put it back and grab another". This is my review of ALL the basses I played:

Yamaha TRB 5
    Nice pickups for thumb placement
    Good variety of Controls
    Very nice bass in general.

Warwick Thumb Neck Thru 5
    No dots
    Cant sit & Play
    P/ups NOT good for thumb placement
    I didnt really like it, and i was expecting something better from suck a popular brand.

Stingray 5
    E string when slapped sounds hollow and empty
    $3795. Nice bass all round

Ibanez K5 (Feildy's Signature)
    Good low B for Slapping
    Anything up from 12th fret whines.
    Average E slapping
    This bass is MORE than what I expected, and i will think differently of Feildy from, now on, Im not saying i like what he does, i just REALLY like his bass! $2495, bit too pricey tho

Yamaha TRB Fretless 5
    Lump of finish around input Jack
    First fretless I played, so i didnt know what to expect.

Cort Curbow 4
    Sits bad on Knee/Lap
    VERY light
    Pick up too high to anchor thumb
    VERY NICE bright blue color
    Sounds good no matter how played
    Switch to go from Low to High
    VERY good bass in general
    If i was going to get a new bass on the buget i have now, i would get the 5 string version of this. I loved this one.

Rickenbaker 4003
    Bad earth=bad electronics
    cant finger fast or slap because of plate over rear p/up
    Sounds bad slapped anyway
    Sits well on knee/lap
    $3149. I didnt know what to expect, but it was a nice bass. I didnt like that fact that i cant played fast or slap and pop.

Yamaha RBX760
    Perfect thumb placement
    Good deep cutaway=easy acces tohigh frets for SOME solo's
    Great slapped
    Nice highs and brilliant lows
    $949 This would be my next 4 string if i were to buy one.

Steinberger XL
    Doesnt sit on body
    Cant slap
    Input jack in akward position
    $1500- I dont know WHY I played this, i think it was because it looked different. I sounded good, but the pickups were too high and there was no room to get your finger under to pop
    Bellman STD 5

Abalone Inlays
    Nice low B when slapped and fingered
    Nothing special, but way above average. $2140

So you could say I had a VERY constructive day in our states capital. That and I found a chick than walked down Flinder street (Like wall street) singing Master of Puppets with me. :eek: :cool:
  10. I was looking at the prices just stunned, $3795 for a 'Ray 5! Then I remembered you're an Aussie :D and it's like $2 Au to $1 USA, right?

Yeah, I really like the TRBs and the RBX760. I didn't really like the K5, but it wasn't aweful.
    Rics (IME) have been either a love or hate. I don't know anyone who's a fence sitter when it comes to Rics. I like em, I just can't afford one right now.:(

Sounds like you had a helluva day! :D
  11. *ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    you saw Blood Duster? that's so weird, i was just talking to La Whore on the way to Smoke Dreams (some of the band live near a girlfriend of mine) about the new album! :eek: he reckons it's going to be some of the sh*t-funniest grindcore you're ever going to hear. can't wait for it.

sounds like one awesome day, man, and no hassle with any abo's? growce as. though you gotta be careful when slapping those Rick's ... :D
  12. kirbywrx

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    ...And to top of the weekend, i found out today that im buying one of the (cheaper) 5-string there....WHAT A WEEKEND!

:sings im so F*****g happy i could cry:

What a weekend....:cool:
  13. But then again, i'm lazy. Why can't these people set up shop next door to me?