Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to be a Father

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by NJL, Oct 20, 2004.

1. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    :D
    My little lady told me a couple of weeks ago that she's pregnant!!

Yup, big fat NJL is going to be a daddy!

I'm excited and freaking at the same time. Both she and I have been to the doctors a few times already. Last Friday we rushed to the ER thinking she was having a miscarriage, but it turned out to be fine and we got a sonogram (sp?). The baby was only 6 weeks and 1 day as of last Friday. From what I could see on the sonogram, the baby looked like a big butt, so I can tell it's already looking more like my little lady.

Since she told me she was pregnant, my neck, my back ("my neck, my back...my neck and my back!"), and my hands have all gone out (but came back). My recent "thing" is that I have some stomach bug that has lasted since last Friday morning. Maybe I'm stressing, maybe it's coincidence, who knows, but all I know is that I'm going to be a daddy!!

Mammas and Papas, please feel free to offer your 2 pesos for some advice as to pregnancies....

:)

2. Congrats!!!!

Advice to pregnancies: learn the phrases "You're right", and "Yes dear", and repeat them like mantra.

Also, be the supportive type, reassure, compliment, bolster, and all that good positive stuff...

It'll help, and you should do it anyway.

These will be trying times, and it's all about her.

Sorry to be sappy, just what I've witnessed after 2 kids. v:O)

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    well, this is what i need - YOUR experience! any help will help me big time...

:)

4. HOLY CRAP! CONGRADULATIONS!!! Dude, you're going be a great father! I mean it!! What have you thought about names?

Oh by the way, when babies cry, shhhh them very loudly by their ear. I saw it on Dr. Phil!

5. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

congratulations Carlos !! best wishes to both of you !!
    hope the stress factor isn't too bad for either of you , but i do know the feeling all to well ...
    is this your'e first child ? have you had the test to check the sex of the baby yet ?
    advice ? hmmm , let me think ... sleepless nights are coming , get used to the smell of old milk , and help out with the diaper changes
    when you can { it's not as bad as you might think } ... oh yeah , mood changes { her 's , not yours } are a common problem . :cool:

6. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    Best pregnancy advice I can offer is to remember that Fender makes a junior size P Bass.

7. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I just hope the lil'NJL ain't a lefty....

:D

...congrats, C-los!

8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good work!

Mon pretty much summed it up, when my wife was pregnant with our twins that is how we did things. your symptoms are normal,, and should go away as you get used to the idea!

9. Yeah...this IS going to be prolly the most trying time you'll ever imagine in your relationship.

You will see sides of her you never knew, and find out things about yourself you never considered as a result...but be patient, and never angry. Remember it's not always "her" talking.

She is going to be a bag of hormonal mess, and you'll be the lucky recipient of all that is positive and negative as a result.

But don't be scared. Take solace in that she will still be beautiful to you even when she gets bigger and feels gross, so reassure her.

And realise and prepare for the best experiences of your life. You will forever change, a new found set of dutiful feelings will emerge, along with innumerable amounts of fear and worry (all the good kind), but again, it's all extremely worth it.

And then you'll get on with your new life, and wonder, not too far off, if you can remember how your old life was, and never with regret. It's always better after.

Again, just things I noticed within myself.

Ron

10. Congratulations!! I hope you have a beautiful kid.

And remember, the stress won't let up for the next 18+ years!! So get used to it. Or at least that's what my dad keeps saying.:D

Show us pics of the kids when he/she is born. I love little kids.:)

They taste like chicken.

Rock on
    Eric

11. Our first is 4.5 months old, and it is incredible. People tell you how awesome it is, but until it happens, you have no idea.

ADVICE
    - You will get your wife back, it will just take a while
    - BUY THE BOOK "ON BECOMING BABY WISE" NOW AND MAKE SURE BOTH OF YOU READ IT -- YOU WILL HAVE A HAPPY, SLEEPING BABY IF YOU FOLLOW THE BOOK -- TRUST ME, IT IS A LIFESAVER. (Ours has slept 10 hours a night since a week before she turned 2 months.)
    - Tell your wife how beautiful pregnancy makes her - she won't believe you, but it doesn't hurt to keep saying it.

What kind of dad would I be if I didn't post a pic of Olivia Catherine?

12. Wow. Olivia is a cutie.

Here's my kiddos!

Ron

13. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    Dude, the pregnancy is a piece of cake.... and the day that you get to first hold your little one is unforgettable.

It's the post-partum depression (if your wife falls victim to it) that will make all the horror movies you ever saw seem like Disney flicks.... :help:

Congrats. You'll do just fine. And to follow up on what Mr. Strange told you, considering the cost of raising kids these days.... SX/Rondo has junior-size basses as well.... :smug:

14. When you post, scroll down and click on the "Manage Attachments" button. You can add a picture that way. What I do is I go into my iPhoto (I'm on a Mac) and export the picture to my desktop making sure that it is no bigger than 600X600, then select it.

15. Ah! Thanks! I figgered it out at the same time...check 'em out! v:O)

16. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    "Yes ma'am" and No ma'am" worked well for me ;)

Kids are great. Little Kimmie went to her first Dr's appointment today, and all is well. As for Lynzie, well she's is her fathers daughter ;)

17. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Congratulations!

Re: Pregnancy - Get used to going to get ice cream or whatever it is she is craving at 11:00 at night.

The SX short scale is what my kids play. :)

18. The first thing you may realize is how much spare time you used to have- 2nd is that you don't really need sleep to survive. Also, diapers are easy- questions are hard.

19. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH !!! :hyper:

SUPER CONGRATS, CARLOS, that's great news! :)

A very good thing to hear.

God bless.

Mike :)

20. kserg

kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    congrads... good thing you are not going to be a mother... I hear for guys that hurts abit more... :D

Have fun being a father... buddy of my got a kid and just helping him out once in a few i can somewhat tell how awesome and hard it is...

get some sleep now for next 18 years

Cheers