Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to be building my own bass for Christmas : )

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Albini_Fan, Dec 21, 2003.

1. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I usually get a bit of money from my relatives, and with a job (i'll get one soon i swear!) I am soon going to be saving up to build my own bass :) Here is what I want to do

I want a warmoth dinky-j koa wood body with a p-slot and a MM slot. some graphite/other metal neck (thinking moses graphite j) and active electronics

thoughts? does this sound like the worst bass ever?

2. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    Maybe you could just steal one?;)

Chris A.:rolleyes: :bassist:

3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    just get all the specs and prices. It sounds like itll be a cool bass. I built a guitar from warmoth parts a month back and it was alot more than i expected. Just the finished body and neck there is lookin at at least $700 right there. You might be better off just getting a used zon or modulus or sumthing.

4. bplayerofdoom

bplayerofdoom

Aug 6, 2002
    R.S.M.
    people who can't afford cups can't afford custom basses.

5. and dont forget clothes!

6. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    what is wrong with false hope ;(

7. well when false hope equates to lying...

8. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    kinda ¤#%"ed up signature you got, Albini_Fan

but dont build a custom bass, its expensive you know, just buy a nice 200-400$ bass

9. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    I really want a koa wood body, though. I think koa is absolutley beautiful. Coudln't I get that + pickups/cheap hardware & neck? I'd end up upgrading the pickups on a $200-400 bass anyway, and I could just upgrade the neck/hardware when I got the money. After Christmas, I should have around $500. I have ALOT of relatives :)

10. Don't expect to spend anything less than 1000$.

And technically you won't be building the bass. Just putting some screws in here. Oh and by the way do you own a soldering iron? If you don't expect time and money spent with the local luthier for pickups and electronics unless you have some knowledge in that area.

Estimated costs
    350$ body + shipping
    350$ graphite neck + shipping
    200$ pickups
    120$ electronics
    80$ hardware
    100$ pickup/electronics installation
    Grand total: 1200$

What am I saying? Expect to spend more money and time than you initially expected.

Glenn

11. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nice sig
    I guess that makes your sister, the junkie who allegedly stole your bass ' Wonder Woman '.

You just don't get it, do you? Not only do you have the audacity to tell us you think stealing is fine, you flaunt it again to insult us?

Keep doing that stuff, and I think you know how long you will last here.

I find your attitude truly offensive at
    this point.

Thor

12. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    Okay, wow. I guess I'm not too good at math, but that is alot of dough. What kind of bass should I get for under $500? Somthing with lots of treble punch and growl? :x

13. Just buy a SX :)

14. Jonki

Jonki I will not slap my Bee!

Oct 14, 2003
    Arendal, Norway
    hahahah! :D

15. just quit please

16. Albini_Fan

Albini_Fan Banned

Jan 26, 2003
    Beneath Below
    what the hell why can't i ask for help on choosing a bass? i thought this was a helpful community jerks

17. Make a bass out of drinking bowls.

18. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

I think a lot of people here, myself included, have come to the conclusion that you have little or no respect for us, or our opinions.

Around here, when you show respect, you get it.
    When you intentionally insult us over and over, don't expect to get any.

It's that simple.

Thor