I'm going to be sick......

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by silvermaneZ, Mar 18, 2002.

1. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    :( :mad:

I feel like I am going to hurl........

Just got off the phone with JD Lewis of Warrior Instruments. With my new Warrior, apprantly the dual truss rods had been torqued to the max. They were as tight as they could have been. JD was loosening the truss rods as we were on the phone, and he had to give them both 6 half turns just to get them back to neutral. He said the wood was cracking and popping like crazy while he was letting the tension out. I have to call him back Wednesday morning to see what the neck has done in 36 hours, and what he can do to fix it. He said that he can fix it, but lord only knows what that is going to entail.

On top of it all: He told me that for about $1000 more than what I paid for the bass, he would have built me a brand new one. AAARRRGGGHHHH.

I really am just pissed off about this entire purchase right now. The guy who sold it to me obviously did not know what he was doing, and cranked those truss rods to the point that they were ready to pop out of the back of the neck. If I had known that the neck was going to have this many problems to it, I would have reevaluated the purchase. I really feel shafted in the keister right now, but am stuck. We went through an online escrow service, and I have already approved the sale of the bass, and the money has been sent to the seller. So, this instrument is mine, for better or worse. I just feel like if this guy had known anything about the condition of the neck, he should have told me. I can not believe that anyone is so ignorant that they would keep tightening the truss rods on a bass like that, and never getting the neck straightened by a luthier with a heat press or some other method, instead of just tightening it to the point where the neck cracks and the truss rods snap.

OK, off the soap box now.

Really just frustrated with this whole deal right now. This has just reinforced the rule in my head that no matter how good the deal, do not buy an instrument without playing it first!!!!!! Never again will I do this. This is becoming a very expensive lesson. I may have to sell a bass or two to cover the cost of getting this one right.
  2. td1368

Jan 9, 2001
    That really stinks. I'm sorry about your troubles. I'm getting my new mail order today and your post makes me nervous. Did you have any approval period when you bought the bass?
  3. If you used an escrow service, why couldnt you play it for a day before approving the sale?

anyhow, thats a sick story, i feel your pain. Maybe you can tell the guy whats up with the rods and he'll be an honest dude and refund your money? I know its a long shot, but .....

good luck to ya

4. Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Good point!

If he is an honest guy he may not mind pitching in halfways for the repair or something.

Good luck man.
  5. I really hate to hear stories like this. You can't trust anyone these days. Keep your fingers crossed, there's still hope he can fix it, right? I can't offer anything constructive, but at least I can try to keep a positive thought going for you.
  6. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I have stated several times that I was nervous about buying something from someone, before having a chance to play it first and several of you have said, "It's okay. I did it and never had a problem." Well, this is yet another story to add to my file of why not to buy online.

I am truly sorry about your sitch, silvermaneZ and I hope you are able to resolve it without going broke (or insane) in the process. I don't think letting dude know about the problem is going to do much though. If he knew about the neck and didn't say anything, I doubt he's going to help you out now and if he didn't know about the neck, he may just say, "I didn't know anything about that. Sorry, but I don't see how I can be expected to help you fix it, because I didn't even know about it." I don't know what dude told you about why he was selling this bass, but you may have stumbled on the real reason he wanted to unload it.

That's why I say, "People are pr**ks!" :mad:
  7. Well I have to tell a good ebay story. I just bought a bass off ebay, and well it wasn't exactly what the guy was saying it was. Anyway I told him about it, and he actually offered to pay return shipping as well as give me a full refund. Of course I really like the bass so I just say it was okay.
  8. I bought a Line6 Filter Modeler from eBay and the guy said it was brand new and had only been plugged in once to "check it out". Well, the guy shipped it in the box it came in thus turning the resale value into crap. It also didn't work right. The selector knob would only select one out of every four settings. Additionally, I paid the guy practically what he paid for it new. ( about $220 )

I thought I'd save a few bucks and get it from eBay and now the thing is at Line6 getting repaired and I'm screwed. They may be able to fix it under warranty though since the original owner never registered it. Still, I had to pay to ship it with insurance and now I don't have the thing that I paid for.

That is the last time I buy from someone I don't know just to save a little money. Although I have had good luck in the past, I don't think it's worth the headaches and risk anymore.

I don't think the guy knew that it wasn't functioning properly. The problem it had was probably the reason why he didn't like it and never used it. Still, if someone says that something was "checked out", that should mean that it worked. Sending it just in the box it came in was inexcusable though.

So, my advice is, if you can get something new and have to pay a little more for it, it's better than getting screwed and losing everything. If you can trust the person that is selling it and they can guarantee the item, I guess that's reasonable.

- Dave
  9. Was the bass a neck through or a bolt on. Though a new neck for a bolt on on a Warrior would be damn expensive (justifiably so), it would be better than trying to put a new neck on a neck thru; however you would do that.

Good luck, I hope it works out for the better and requires little repairing.

10. Dude, reading your post gave me a knot in my stomach. That totally blows. I seriously recommend talking to the guy you bought it from, see if he wouls help offset the cost of the repair. I've bought stuff online before, but nothing the even close to the cost of a Warrior. I did get my Yamaha from Musicians Friend, but that had warranty and what not, so I could send it back if it was messed up.

I hope everything turns out all right for ya, I feel that pain.
  11. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Thanks for the sympathy everyone. I have to wait until tomorrow to talk to JD again and see what the neck has done now that it is loosened again. Hopefully this will just be a matter of replacing the truss rods, doing a fret dressing, and sealing a couple of cracks in the back of the neck by the headstock.

Geoff - this bass is a Signature Series 3 piece neck-thru, so replacing the neck is not an option. The thing apparantly did not break, there are just hairline cracks on the back of the neck by the headstock.

More info as I get it.
  12. ganttbos

ganttbos The Professor Supporting Member

Dec 18, 2001
    New Orleans area
    Hey Silvermane,
    Let me add my condolences. What a lousy story!
    I agree that you should contact the seller and be straight up with him. It's always best to treat people like you would want to be treated. I have two supporting ebay stories. I once sold a pair of EA VL210 cabs to a guy in CA. He called and told me one of the speakers in one cab was scraping (voice coil). I really didn't know when I shipped it. I was very embarrassed and immediately told him to either ship it to EA for repair at my expense or send it back. It ended up being repaired at EA and shipped back to me for a refund. I still have the cab for my rehearsal rig. Lost my butt! But my conscience is clear. Last year I bought a WT400 from a guy and when I got it, the midboost control was scratchy and howled when it was maxed out. I contacted the seller and he said ship it to Eden for repair at his expense. While it was at Eden I had a low-noise upgrade done as well (to quiet that darn fan). The seller even offerred to split the upgrade cost. So people are not all bad. Contact your seller.
    Good luck with the Warrior.
  13. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    Talked to JD Lewis again this morning. He has the neck in a heat press for the next 48 hours in the belief that the heat will make the neck straighten out. A little glue to seal the cracks in the back of the neck, and a dressing of the frets, and it should be good to go. We also talked about tuning it in D after it is restrung to take a little of the tension off of the truss rods. Oh, and the truss rods are not stripped, so they will not have to be replaced. YEA! I should have it back in about two weeks. I guess I have to think of a name now...
  14. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    How about "Money Pit?" :p

Just kidding. I hope it all works out well for you. Don't forget about the Atlanta Get Together in May! I'm sure we could find a place for you to sleep if you drove in.
  15. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    as a bassist- i was sick to hear your story- there are many dishonest people in the world-
    as a seller , i have had people ( one just this last week) bid on items and hold up the entire process,, and then backed out after winning the bid- thus i wasted time , money and effort because someone did not honor his bid-
    so its a double edged sword- but there should always be an approval period - i keep the money around for 2 days to make sure everything is fine with the sale. Is there a possibility that this guy didnt know there was a problem? im just curious-
    on the other hand- i have often been surprised at how perfect strangers sometimes send me money for a bass- some check very closely- but some don't. I guess there are still good people and trusting people- I would hate to think that was entirely gone- i have had many a pleasant experience buying and selling online- and met good people as well as bad- but i can see why someone would NOT want to buy sight unseen..
    Im so sorry to hear about your bass- stuff like that leaves scars.. good luck!
  16. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Man reading that made me sick. that is so sad.. To pay so much for a bass only to have severe troubles with it. Have you talked to the man you bought it from?? you should tell him how he almost ruined a great bass.

but at least you will be able to keep it and it will be fine.. a few more turns on the truss rod and your bass would be gone... :( ;)
  17. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    So does that mean I have to dress up like Tom Hanks or Shelly Long? :p

This is the first I have heard of the Atlanta get together in May. Can someone PM me the relivent info? If I am in town I would love to come up.:)

had to edit some grammer mistakes
  18. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    you've got a PM. Of course, you have to dress up like Shelly Long to attend. It's a costume party...yeah, that's it.....:D
  19. silvermaneZ

Oct 10, 2000
    Houston, TX
    OK, I realize this thread should have been long dead, but just wanted to give an update.....

I got my Warrior back today. The repair job that JD and the guys in the shop did is fantastic. No more cracks in the neck, truss rods back where they should be, new frets, no more buzz, and good action. I am VERY HAPPY with what they did.:D I know that my next bass will be a custom Warrior. They are hard to beat.

If anyone is interested, I will be visiting Bass Central on April 26th, and bringing the beast to show Gard, Beaver and the crew down there. I will also be bringing it to the Atlanta Get-Together on May 11th so all you jokers can play it.:p

I am looking forward to the gathering, and being able to put names with faces. It will also be fun to see if JT is as much of a teddy bear as he looks like in his pics.;)

Pics of my baby coming soon if I can get to it....
  20. bassmonkeee

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I can't wait to see that thing. Hopefully, my Curbow 8 string fretless will be done in time for the get togeher, too. It'd be nice to finally overpower JT and his crazy basses!

Glad you are happy with it!