I'm going to build a pedal board

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Matt Till, Nov 29, 2004.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    ... hi... I'm totally not a Talkbass member...

... uh, I've heard rumor of using zip ties to hold your pedals in place... how?

It seems rather logical for flat rectangular designed pedals such as Boss/Digitech. But with sloped pedals such as a Bassballs, it would just slide around.

Also, this seems to make the most sense on the http://www.independentcd.com/rpb/diy.htm type of pedal which I will be basing my design on.
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    hey, dude

i made a pedal board from MDF, some cheap ass kitchen cab drawer handles and some hardcore velcro

worked like a charm ;)

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, I'm probably going to go the velcro route as well, but this using zip ties method has me a tad baffled... anyone have experience with this? See anyone do it? Hear of any other methods?

I think I'm going to cruise the hardware store, see what I can come up with.
  4. Use some 1/2" thick plywood.
    Paint the bottom and sides black.

cover the top with ozite (speaker cabinet carpeting, acts like the loop side of velcro)
    wrap the edges with aluminum channel you can get at home depot for cheap money.
    take strips of the hook-side of velcro and stick to the bottom of your pedals. With the full ozite cover, you can place them anywhere you want. Works perfect.

get some small rubber feet from radio shack to keep the board slightly elevated.

Get a power strip and attach accordingly for your wal warts. If you have a voodoo lab pedal power, even better (but more $$$)

There. You made a custom configured pedalboard for 20 bucks, tops.
  5. SoComSurfing

SoComSurfing Mercedes Benz Superdome. S 127. R 22. S 12-13.

Feb 15, 2002
    Mobile, Al
    For the Bassballs/Big Muff type pedals, just do the zip ties long ways rather than across the pedals. A friend of mine used that method and it seemed to work pretty well. It was easier to keep all his cables routed together, as well.
  6. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Hey Mon,

When you say aluminum channel, do you just mean a slot of aluminum that would be a 1/2" to fit the sides of the board?
  7. If you end up using the zip ties...use heavy duty ones. I've seen people make boards out of 2x4's and a small sheet of pegboard (masonite with all the little holes in it), then they can put the pedals anywhere and have holes in the board for zip ties. But, this method can be a bit springy.

I like the velcro idea...I just got some really heavy duty velcro from the sewing/fabric department of Wal-Mart...it's about 2" thick and 5' long with really good glue. I use an old shelf from one of those crappy shelving units you also get at Wal-Mart, but seem to be in everybody's garage.

Another idea that I've seen people use is: You know bike chain links (the figure-8 piece that makes up 1/2 of a link)? You unscrew 2 screws (opposing corners) of your pedal, screw links onto the corners, then screw the pedal to the board. Works really well for stability, though not for rearranging things. Make sure you've got your order set before you do it.

Also, aluminum channel is also known as C channel and looks like a [ .
  8. exactumally. "c" channel. you get small brads to hold it in place...you cut the 90 deg. corners with snips... and fold the seams...and tag the ends.
  9. fclefgeoff

fclefgeoff Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2002
    Skip the velcro and use 3M dual lock. It is holds 100 times better than velcro and doesn't wear out as fast.
  10. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Cool, I'll check this all out, including the 3M instead of velcro. Thanks for the advice guys!
  11. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't built anything in a while and I'm getting the itch. A pedal board is high on the list of possibilities.

Keep us posted Matt.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm like that too, I'm not very "crafty" but when I am, I really dig it. I gotta look for a good solid piece of wood I can bust up. If I ever planned on owning a boatload of effects, I've got a guitar case that my bass doesn't fit in, I was thinking about gutting that and making it an effects case, but I realized how large and not stage convient that is. I might have to actually buy it. But if I get home, my brother is a vo tech/shop class kid and he could get me some of this stuff.
  13. A good starting point for a pedal board is these aluminium storage cases sold in DIY stores etc, i had a thin version about 3 " thick with the lid shut, i cut off the hinges so as to make the lid removable fixed the pedals inside using velcro etc and stuck four rubber feet on base.

The finished item looks like a shop made unit and acts as a good case as well as a good stage board, about the right size for three or four pedals etc.

These cases are often sold as camera cases or tool box cases i believe.

14. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I built a pedal board sized to fit in an old hard suitcase. Pieces of cardboard wrapped in bubblewrap cushion on the top and bottom of the board.

I use plywood painted flat black and bought a roll of velcro with adhesive backing. All pedals are secured that way.

I bought an EBS transformer that is very small and very light, capable of 110/240 voltage. This unusual transformer will not cause any hum whatsoever. It ain't cheap either. It feeds into an Ibanez daisy chain to the pedals.

I took an old mountain bike tire, cut it up and screwed it into the bottom for feet.

I then took an 18 foot extension chord and lock fastened it to an 18 foot guitar cable to it.

Set up is very fast. Throw down the board, Unroll the cable. Plug the power chord into the EBS. Plug the guitar cable into the output of the last pedal. Into the power bar, and into the amp.

No hum at all. Nice lightweight board.
  15. Did you put some handlebars on it as well (ha ha ) so you could ride it on stage, joking a side its great what you can make for little cost compared to the overprices Boss or other pedal boards.

Homebrew pedal boards are the way to go and you can add cool bits to it all the time.
  16. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    That's funny. :D

I'm just a cheap old guy looking for a project over the Xmas holidays last year. If I were to do it again, I would put the rat fur on the board as suggested elsewhere in this thread. That's a great idea. The lockwired cable thing works very very well and makes for a very fast setup. I usually end up duct taping the cable to the floor, and generally have enough cable to keep it totally out of the way. Been toying with locking my mic cable as well. Makes for a clearner stage.