1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

I'm Going To Do It!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by IbanezATK, Apr 29, 2009.

1. IbanezATK

IbanezATK

Feb 24, 2009
    Monroe, LA, USA
    I'm going learn some theory, and I'm going to learn to read music.

I am blessed with relative pitch, I can figure pretty much anything out by ear, on guitar and bass.

My band is currently on hiatus due to some legal issues, at one point the band was talking to labels, lawyers were involved, the band broke up, now there are issues with the band name and former members, old material, etc. that have to be resolved. Yes, basically we want the band name badly enough to pay for it :bawl: We won't be touching any of the old material, but we have to make everything "legal."

I'm fairly happy with where my technique is, and I'm bored of learning two or three new songs a day.

I've tried this before, but I've gotten overwhelmed and figured that I'd get by ok just playing by ear... my guitar player can play something and I can play a bass line to it. If somebody in the band wants to cover something, I can learn it by ear quickly.

My guitar player/singer is in pretty much the same boat, and he dove into theory about a month ago. I always figured that knowing what the rules were would box you in, but it has opened up his playing and composing in just a months time. I kinda feel stupid now, I'm playing the "right" thing, but I don't know WHY.

I just thought I'd let you guys know that I'm in for some pain, but hopefully enlightenment lies at the end of this journey!

Right now I'm using studybass.com and I just ordered over 100.00 worth of books. If anybody has any suggestions to make this journey easier, please speak up!

2. rarbass

rarbass

Jul 3, 2008
    Great idea. I wish I had time currently do learn more myself.

But lately I've really been thankful that I've learned how to read music. It's so great to just pick up some music and play it. Sight reading is some of the most fun I have playing music. As for theory, well I still need to learn a bunch myself.

Go for it! And good luck!

3. J. Crawford

J. Crawford Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2008
    OH/WV
    No matter your age, an instructor is great. You may be a better bassist than him, like my situation, but he can help.

Im the most ignorant bassist on the planet, yet he knowsh is stuff. Its a good learning experience. Plus, someone to talk to instead of reading a book constantly keeps one sane.

4. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Cali Intergalactic Mind Space - always on the edge
    Song Surgeon slow downer software- full 4 hour demo
    Check out the link in my sig. It may shed some light on your quest for knowledge.

5. Shoot_A_Hostage

Shoot_A_Hostage

Apr 14, 2009
    I bookmarked yhay. I would give you a ribbon if I could.

6. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Smart move, bro. Some people have a mistaken outlook about theory. They are called "people who don't know the first thing about theory." Glad you finally realized its benefits. Never heard anyone who learned reading music and theory say they regretted it.

Boy, that must be a hell of a band name that you're willing to pay for it.

7. Correlli

Correlli

Apr 2, 2004
    New Zealand
    Bit like an painter learning color theory. Pays off in the long run