Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to go crazy, looking for a new setup

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bkchang79, Jan 3, 2003.

1. I've spent pretty much the whole day looking at different setups and decided to go seperates. I know I'm eventually going to go that route, now I just need some clarification sound wise. Lately I've been loving Marcus Miller's tone, but want something that can be versatile as well. I'm looking for something relatively small like a 2x10, 1x12, 2x12, possibly a 4x10. I was looking into Euphonic Audio, Aguilar, Bergantino, EBS, ACME, cabs and already have my mind set on a QSC PLX or RMX power amp with a Aguilar DB659 pre. But, before I drive hundreds of miles trying to listen to some of the cabs mentioned above, I want your input on how each cab sounds like to you. What's the difference in sound quality between the PLX and RMX? I would go 1x12 route, but I'm afraid if I play a rock gig it won't be loud enough.

2. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    BK,

I don't know enough about most of the products that you mentioned to give you good info but I can say that I feel that two quality 112 cabs may just surprise you with their performance. I know that I'm sold on mine! ;)

3. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    I am a recent 2x12 convert and I will never go back to any other speaker configuration. A pair of 12's seems the best balance of everything. Mine is an EBS and it's a great cab, easily the best single cab I've ever used. Haven't tried any of the others you've listed. Hard to find in my location.

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    wow,

so many variables and things to choose from. since you've already chose a cool pre/power amp setup, here's my take on cabs. i'm generalizing to a HUGE degree, but hopefully, it'll shed some light for you.

i live near Rudy's music, Bass Boutique, Aguilar's shop, and Nick Epifani's shop, so i'm sorta spoiled... ;)

Bergantino - glassy, glossy highs with a juicy midrange, smooth low end.

Epifani - airy, more open sounding highs, sweet mids, and muscled revved low end.

Aguilar - like a poor man's Epifani, yet not as airy, but still has good midrangey molasses like churn.

Eden - wooly, almost furry and hairy, warm tone, with razor like upper mids for cutting thru a mix. one of the more coloring cabs i've played.

EA - like a wrecking ball! huge "slam you in the chest" bass, laser like hi end. almost clinical sound.

EBS - similar to an SWR, but a tad clearer. yet, compared to an Epifani or Aguilar cab, they seem muddy to me.

Acme - flat and uncolored sound. literally like plugging into your mixer.

a single 2x10 is ok, but might not quite make your LowB string sound big enough or blast out as well. a pair of 2x10's, tho, would be pretty cool, and much better handle a LowB string, IMHO.

Acme's B2 2x10, however, does deliver a lowB like nobody's business thru only two 10" drivers. unfortunately, because of the lack of inherent "EQ'ing" like the other cabs have, the DB659 might not be able to carve out a tone from the Acme that'll cut thru live.

i own a B2, but use Aguilar's DB680, so i'm able to carve out a great EQ'ed tone that'll slice, dice, and puree any mix. :D

another 2x10 that can aptly handle a Low B string is Eden's 210XST. many say, it cuts better live while the Acme does not. has that Eden'fied tone, but, isnt nearly as lightweight as the 50 lbs. Acme.

Epifani has recently been making their cabs with neodynium drivers in their speakers which can reduce the weight of a cab, nearly 25%! a 3x10 suddenly is as lightweight as a regular 2x10. of course, the 3x10 can kick out waaay better low end, and LowB string tones, so that's another option.

BUT, i heard the new neo drivers can tend to be more midrangey sounding, and for certain setups, might be muddy.

if you're gonna go small, like Ebozzz said, i'd also definitely check out a pair of 1x12's. of the makers i mentioned, they all can make a 1x12 that when run in pairs, would have enough volume to compete with a 4x10! small, much lighter then two 2x10's, and easy to transport, they're great giggers.

the only downside is the clarity. 12"s dont seem as punchie or inyourface as 10", but that's nitpicking. some guys love it, others dont. purely up to you. but volume wise, make no mistake, they'll roar!

5. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    oh yea, what bass are you using?

if you love that Marcus sound like me, then get a J-Retro active onboard preamp for your bass. i much prefer it over the so'called Marcus approved "Sadowsky" preamps.

coupled with the Dimarzio Ultra Jazz pickups in my parts jbass, i can get some MASSIVE low mid punch, and skyhigh highs for slap. simply the coolest thing for slap and Marcus tones.

literally gives my jbass a weighty, heavy boot like kick. so addictive to play! :D

6. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    All of what Joker said but I would like to add that I think that a good pair of 112 cabs can possibly give you better performance than a single 410. I actually like the clarity that I get from the pair that I use but I have not had the real world experience/opportunity to try as many options as many of you. A pair of 112s will definitely roar! Don't overlook them.

7. jaggedsphere

jaggedsphere

Jul 15, 2002
    Ottawa
    this is the rig I will own in a couple months:
    QSC PLX 2402
    Acme B-2
    Boss GT-6B I hope it's pre will cut it
    Spector NS2000Q5
    might get another B-2 in the future if I find I am playing alot of high volume gigs and it is needed.....
    I'll be able to walk around, take busses, subways and cabs with my rig!!!
    can't wait ;)
    Richard

8. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    On the topic of Eden 210XST cabs:

Thay are amazing!

I have one, and it handles the low B from my G&L L-2500 perfectly, even at very high volumes. The other day while messing around withmy new Eden WP-100 pre amp I turned down all the highs and mids and cranked the low end, and it was so powerful that it nearly made me sick to my stomach! Its relaly really powerful and loud in the low registers for any cab, and its a 2-10! I cant really say better than what you listed, because I havent had the privelage of trying those out.

It isnt nearly as colored as the other Eden cabs, but it still retains alot of that warm tone of the other ones, with a greatly extended range low end. Its extreemly balanced across the whole tonal spectrum and I would definetly recommend one.

Peace
    Nick

9. I think I may go with one 1x12 and add another in the future. Should I get a 4ohm or 8ohm? If I get two 4 ohm cabs would the amp be pushing 2 ohms per side? I kind of confused with ohms.

10. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    If your going to go with single 12 cabs....I would go the 8ohm rout.......it will be a lot more flexible when you start adding more cabs! Most of the 1/12's come in 8 ohms anyway;)

11. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    When you're out there shopping for 112s, try one of the Genz Benz models if you can find any in your area. It's good stuff and it's also reasonably priced.

If the power amp that you're considering has two channels (stereo), think of it as having two separate amps inside the case. If you have an 8 ohm cab on each channel, you will have an 8 ohm load. With a 4 ohm cab on each, it's a 4 ohm load. Two 8 ohm cabs on one channel will produce a 4 ohm load and two 4 ohm cabs on one channel a 2 ohm load.

impedance/number of cabs = load

12. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali

13. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Go with 8 Ohm.

I made the mistake of going with a 4 ohm cab and now that I wanna expand my rig its a bit more difficult. Not too hard, but its limiting finding amps that bridge into 4 ohms, and still have alot of power at 8 ohms for when I use both cabs.

Peace
    Nick

14. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    lol!

sorry, but its crowded enough as it is with all my gear. ;)

but i used to say the same thing with guitar amp manufacturers on the west coast. Bogner, Two Rock, Matchless, Divided by 13, etc... :(

BK,

i'd just go with an 8 ohm. not many heads can handle a 2 ohm load if you're running two 4 ohm cabs together in series. if you've got a separate power amp, it should, but an 8 ohm / 8 ohm pair of 1x12's is a safer bet.

15. I like the twelve myself. Have Berg HT112 and HT212. Looking at HT322 to put on top of 212...
    Go with the 8ohm for single 12" cabs.

Let's give the The Joker some koodos for the great useful and witty time he takes to give his disertation of equiptment he tries.
    Great Job Joker, UDAMAN! :D

16. FunkySpoo

FunkySpoo Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2002
    Yeah baby, clean and mean. That's the way to go. And with a 103 db output they're loud too.