I'm going to head examined!!! ahhhh

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FenderBender, Nov 2, 2004.

1. Well my Doc caught somthing in my annual exam and sent me in for more tests. Well those came out strange so now they're sending me for an MRI of my brain to "rule out" a brain tumor :(

He say's its the worst case senario, and wants to rule it out.

I don't like worst case senario!!!!!!!

I'll probably have to wait untill tomorrow for the results and I'm starting to freak just a little.

Oh well I go in at 2:30 pm, so wish me luck.
  2. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    A friend of mine had a brain scan recently, it was weird, she was holding this black and white print-out of the inside of her head, and showing it to people. Surreal.

Good luck with yours, hope all is well.
  3. Squidfinger

Squidfinger I wish I could sing like Rick Danko.

Jan 7, 2004
    Shreveport LA
    I know how scary this is :( . I was diagnosed with a brain tumor last year but I don't let it bother me and hardly ever think about it. I sure hope you get some good news :bassist: .

EDIT: This is going to sound weird, but I've had my fair share of MRI's. Even very small head movements can "blur" the MRI results. Consciously trying not to move can result in minor shaking. To avoid this I concentrate on trying to move my little toe without moving any of my other toes. Works great.
  4. DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Don't freak man...just like he said...using these things to rule out possibilities is standard procedure. My wife is always talking about how she ruled out this and ruled out that.

brad cook
  5. Best of luck to you my man.
  6. Best of luck. I hope it goes well for you. There is a very large group of people pulling for you here.

No matter the outcome, show us the scan!! I always enjoy looking at people's brains.:D

Rock on
  7. "Mmmmmm....brains"

(your friendly neighborhood Zombie)
  8. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  9. {OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.
    I can commiserate.... My now "ex" found out she may have a STD and decided to call me and tell me before she found out for sure..... :confused: :mad:

Try to occupy your mind with something else and keep a positive attitude. Even a report of "positive" doesnt mean it cannot change.

Good fortune. :)
  10. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I've had many MRI's because of migraine headaches. Don't worry, you should be fine.

The doc told me the same thing, "Well, we better do a MRI, just to make sure you don't have brain cancer."

Sometimes I think they forget how scary it can be to have someone say that to you.
  11. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    FenderBender, I hope everything's gonna be alright for you, and that the result of all this will only be this temporary anxiety.

Best wishes,
  12. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    Best of luck, FenderBender. I know it's a scary time for you. I once had a CAT scan to rule out something, and that's just what happened-they ruled it out! I was thankful that I live in a time where we have these incredible technologies. Keep us posted.
  13. :) Thanks so much for all of your support :) :) :)

It really makes me feel better know that you guys who barely know me are so compassionate. :crying: :D

Well I just got back from getting the MRI, now I've got to wait 24-48 to get the results

That MRI is sooooooo clostraphobic!!!! I was ready to freak, the only thing that got me through was pretending that the "Pulsing" sound was a metronome, and I kept running scales in my head to the time. I swear I ran every scale front and back, one and two octaves, In 3ds, 4ths, and every mode. I stared into arpeggios and then it was over. Good,I was running out of stuff. All in all a very good exercise :D

Oh well, I guess I will just PLAY every scale about 700 times waiting for the results.

Thanks again for your kind words.
  14. Man, now THAT'S and idea. I usually get very bored, and going over the scales in my head might help. Thanks!!:D

Hope it goes well. Scan the pics so we can all go "ooo" and "ahhh" at them.

Rock on
  15. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    Good luck with that head scan. I had a head MRI done a couple years ago. It wasn't too bad in there cause the earmuffs doubled as a radio headset, so I got to listen to music throughout the time I was in there.

16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Post the good news as soon as you get it OK. I'm sending my positive vibes~~~~~~~~ can you feel them?

17. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ I got it! thanks ;)
  18. See my profile. It's modest compared to my CV. See the thread about me "Jim S" and there's a link to my education.

Odds are everything will be fine. My fingers are crossed for you.
  19. Its not a tumor!!!!! :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

Ok Alot of worring for nothing. My MRI came back negative.

Thanks for all your support. :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
  20. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I recently went through a very similar experience. I had a standard blood test done for college entrance, and the hematocrit and hemoglobin levels in my blood were above the normal. After repeated blood tests a month later, the levels were still high. So, I go through a myriad of tests to "rule out" the possible causes:

Possible cause #1: Genetic abnormality/mutation. Genetic testing shows no abnormality.

Possible cause #2: Brain tumor. MRI scan results show nothing in my skull ;)

Possible cause #3: Liver/Kidney cancer. Ultrasound of liver and kidneys results show no abnormalities.

Possible cause #4: Bone marrow malfunction. Bone marrow biopsy results show normal bone marrow activity.

Every test came back negative. Nothing was wrong with me, it seemed. I appeared perfectly healthy in every way, and the tests showed that. My hematologist/oncologist said that there is only one real explanation for the problem...

(build suspense)

(more suspense)

(drum roll)

It turns out that I have high hematocrit and hemoglobin levels :hyper: