Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to IAJE

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Pacman, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    So tomorrow I'm flying to Toronto, Ontario to attend the IAJE (International Association of Jazz Educators) convention. 4 days of jazz, jazz and more jazz! I'm way stoked.

Anyone else going? Let's hook up for a frosted beverage!

Click here to check out what's happenin'

Nnenna Freelon, The Yellowjackets, the Slide Hampton Big Band, Metalwood, Jane Bunnett & the Spirits of Havana, John Pizzarelli Trio, Lizz Wright, Teri Lynne Carrington Quintet, and The Danish Radio Orchestra with Renee Rosnes, Dave Weckl Band, John Patittuci, Hank Jones, Marian McPartland Trio, The Maritime Jazz Orchestra, Francois Bourassa Quartet, Francois Carrier Trio, Dave McMurdo Jazz Orchestra, Dave Young Quintet, Brad Turner Quartet, Bunky Green, Kenny Wheeler, U.S. Navy Commodores, Victor Mendoza, Yoron Israel, Jovino Santos Neto, Chase Sanborn, Ted Piltzecker, Nancy Walker Trio, and others...

wooohooo!!

2. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    Sounds like a great time, I wish I could go. The schedule of performers is unbelievable. After seeing her performance on the Herbie Hancock Future2Future DVD, I would really like to see the Terri Lynne Carrington Quintet. I bet Metalwood puts on a great show, too. Ah, what am I saying...they all do!

Congrats, and have fun!

3. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Crud! I would really like to wing by and meet up, but I am otherwise occupied this weekend :(

4. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    i was able to go to the one in san antonio in 93'. it rocked!

5. The Yellow Jackets and John Patitucci! :(

Have a god time, Pac.

Mike
    P.S. I'm jealous!

6. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    For some reason I saw it as "I'm going to JAIL". Since your not going to jail, have fun! Sounds like a blast.

7. My teacher in the arts program at school is going to that. His name is Carl Hammond, you might run into him. He is supposed to bring me back some bass things but i dunno if he got my request in time.

8. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Please, please, please Jon, in the name of all that is good and right, tell me this is not a TDY. Please.

;)

I shouldn't b!tch though; assuming I haven't been vaporized by then, I'll be in Vegas again for two weeks later this month (man, I'm getting tired of airports). Considering it was MINUS TEN DEGREES FARENHEIT here the other day, the desert is looking pretty good, especially since I'll miss what would otherwise be my 30somethingth PENCERE. Time to check the sked at the Hard Rock...:)

9. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Sounds really good - but when I see the word "convention" - I tend to think of people sitting in a hall and "debating motions" - things like that?

Presumably though, some of these people are actually going to play and it's not just a "talking shop"?

Or you wouldn't be "stoked" - right ? ;)

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Can you please tell John Patitucci (only two T's, not all in a row ;)) that he needs to play more in Illinois. I have never seen him and desperately want to. As it is, I am jealous and wish I was going. Alas, I am not a jazz educator. Sounds like a sweet gig, though. :D

Oh, and have him sign an autograph to "Michael". And have him sign three more to my brothers of the same name. ;) :D

11. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Hate to tell you, Lump :D Alla that stuff, AND per diem.

I have the greatest job in the world.

High points: John Goldsby's clinic on the bass tradition. Benny Green and Russel Malone (just the two of them - phenominal!) Lyzz Wright, John Patitucci, The Columbus Jazz Orchestra, Jimmy Bruno....

I could go on.

Low points: The "big room" sound company!!! Continually raped acts, to include John's electric bass and the entire Yellowjackets set....