Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

I'm going to join/start a reggae/dub band

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matt Till, May 2, 2005.

1. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That synth player I was talking about in that other thread, well I guess he wants to start a dub/reggae band. I can generally play a reggae vibe, but I don't listen to enough of that stuff. Recommended listenings? :)

2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Best place to start is the Trojan Dub box set, 50 songs, one of the best comps by the best label for Jamaican music.

After that, anything by Lee 'Scratch' Perry and King Tubby.

Dub begins and, largely, ends with those two. Their discographies are immense, so that should keep you busy for a while.

You can also check out their respective proteges, Mad Professor and Scientist.

You can also check out Perry's house band The Upsetters, they're more reggae/proto-dub, but still good.

3. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah the guy I'm going to play with is really into Lee Perry.

4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Family Man!!!

Good luck finding that groove! It's difficult at first.

5. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    Arkology by Scratch Perry is like a Bible of reggae/dub grooves!!!!! Lee Perry in his prime :cool:

6. Defacto is a good dub band. They are the guys from Mars Volta . I didnt like em at first, but they kinda grew on me.

Also theres some new reggae box set out thats really good. I dont own it, but have heard alot of the stuff on it and its good. I believe its called " This is reggae"

7. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    It's more standard reggae, but Toots and the Maytalls is great stuff. Songs like "Pressure Drop" and "Funky Kingston" have great bass as well.

8. Superdave

Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Sly and Robbie....thats all you need for dub.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Right on, a friend let me borrow a bad brains single. It was weird, it was a EP, but it was to be played at 33 and was the size of an LP. Anyhoo, one side was hardcore, the other was some bad ass dub. Maybe I'll have to get more of their stuff.

It's strange, I really thought this summer I was going to work on starting/joining a stoner rock band. But now I'll be appealing to stoners in a completely different way. I never pictured myself being a band like this, but it should be cool.

I hope I'm good enough. :bag:

10. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Sweet, you need a bassist?

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

damn... you are pretty good.

alright, I'll be the guitarist who goes

a dinka a dinka wha dinka a dinka

12. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    Great reccomendations. Essential listening. I recommend anything by Scientist...he's my favorite for dub.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    While your immersing yourself in dub also check out Bill Laswell's dub recordings.....some of the best of newer dub out there :bassist:

14. monkeybrainz

monkeybrainz

Apr 28, 2005
    yes, toots and maytals are amazing, with great bass.

check out some early bob marley too.

15. groovejam

groovejam

Apr 26, 2005
    +1 FAMILYMAN!!!!!!!! Any material that has Aston Barrett on it is a must. There is a dub cd out now called "Familyman in dub". This is great, I also agree with the Trojan dub box set, thats always a good start.

Also, "Garveys Ghost" which can be fond on Burning Spears Marcus Garvey album. This is a must, I am pretty convinced that this is the best dub album ever made.

I could ramble on but go get those to albums and crank up the bass!