1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

I'm going to just come out and say it.....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Ironbar, Jul 12, 2014.

1. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

Aug 24, 2013
    Tigard, Oregon
    ....the original music scene in Portland, Oregon SUCKS! FOR gosh SAKE, DOESN'T ANYONE WRITE AND PERFORM MUSIC THAT ISN'T INSIPID, WHINING, EMO, CRAP??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 16, 2014
  2. The dream of the 90's is alive in Portland!

3. joebar

joebar

Jan 10, 2010
    not much different in vancouver

MovingPitchers likes this.
  4. That seems to be pretty common everywhere. If I have to hear one more sleepytime folk group, I swear I will start a drunken evil clown polka band. I mean it.

5. 20db pad

20db pad

Feb 11, 2003
    I been everywhere, man...
    None. At all.
    I had to edit for focus and clarity, and want to mention that it's like this all over the US ......

DOESN'T ANYONE WRITE AND PERFORM MUSIC THAT ISN'T INSIPID, WHINING, EMO, CRAP THAT SOUNDS LIKE SOMETHING U2 SCRAPPED DURING THE "JOSHUA TREE" ERA ?

6. I agree, but look on the bright side, at least all of the new stuff is alternative and indie instead of pop in cities like LA and NYC.

7. el_cody_loco

el_cody_loco

Feb 13, 2013
    I live out in the Idaho sticks in a college town that's obsessed with folk rock and sappy acoustic music. What I wouldn't give for a little more punk and hard rock in this scene. :(

On the other hand, the less prolific our music styles are in the local scene, and the harder it becomes to find a group of people to play with, the better you'll feel about the people you find when you DO find them (even if it takes a good 6 months).

droo46 likes this.
  8. I'm in a band that plays some pretty bizarre stuff. I am terribly disappointed with the absolute emptiness I hear in new music and how completely boring people have become. It's all so, how can I put it... medium. Music today is like a toddler pool half full of pee.

spanndrew, carsbybigd and Red Four like this.
  9. They live in Portland and you expect them to not be emo? *rimshot*

maestrovert likes this.
  10. I want in ...

11. It could be a movement.

12. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Emo? That's still a thing? I feel for ya Ironbar. Also, my face is drunk. Wohoo.

13. Smurf-o-Deth

Smurf-o-Deth ¡No me gustan mis pantalones!

Oct 2, 2007
    The state of denial.
    coloraccord.

14. DeathFromBelow

DeathFromBelow Never Forget. Banned

Dec 23, 2010
    Horten, Norway
    Oh crap.

15. Marial

Marial weapons-grade plum

Apr 8, 2011
    Well, Seattle's various scenes are kicking it tough. From the Ballard s**t kicker scene to the jazz/experimental scene that's loosely centered around the Royal Room in Columbia City, there is a ton of good music being created in Seattle right now.

maestrovert and Ironbar like this.
  16. adi77

adi77 Banned

Mar 15, 2007
    bombay
    out here its the opposite.. lots of bands making great original music but nowhere to play..

maestrovert, edpal and hover like this.
  17. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Sounds like the OP is whining to me!
    At least you HAVE a scene - in San Diego, all we have is "Classic rock" and horrid metal/thrash bands that play in biker bars for beer. Or coffee houses that let sensitive little bands play for coffee & sandwiches. True fact.

maestrovert, carsbybigd and Fat Steve like this.
  18. cv115505

cv115505 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2012
    Pittsburgh
    MJC Ironworks
    I get asked to be in metal bands on a fairly regular basis in Oklahoma City... I always politely decline... I'm not that kind of player. I feel like everyone wants to play metal, but no one wants to listen to it.

19. Metalbasspro

Metalbasspro

Feb 9, 2009
    WA state

Sounds like a description of Lewiston ID, that the place?

20. kev b

kev b

Nov 28, 2012
    uk
    Why not find a venue, put on your own gigs and start your own scene?

maestrovert and rapidfirerob like this.