Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Im going to New York....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by ceeprm, Feb 21, 2003.

1. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    I'm off to New york in a few months and am not ruling out the possibility of getting a new visa card before I go as i'l get the chance to play loads of Ken Smiths/MTDs/Foderas etc which you don't see many of in the UK. I was wondering if anyone who lives in the UK has gone to the US and bought a bass and tried to bring in back to the UK on the sly- or is there no way of getting out of all the customs charges??? Spending $3000 on a bass and then having to pay another 17.5% UK VAT sort of puts me off the idea....

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Terrible isn't it? I'm travelling to New York on Tuesday and will hopefully be visiting the Fodera and Sadowsky workshops, as well as the main music shops in NYC.

The topic of importing instruments has come up a few times over the last five years - basically, it's not worth doing it. The risk of getting caught trying to sneak past the "nothing to declare" desk just isn't worth it.

The best idea that anyone came up with was to perhaps take an old, dirt-cheap bass with you in a hard case, ditch it when in the States, and bring back your new bass in the same case. Still not without risk though.

3. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Awesome, if I ever make it to NYC, I am going to shack up with Nino.....he has ALL the cool toys! Of course he doesn't know this yet :D

4. ceeprm

ceeprm

Jul 15, 2002
    Edinburgh Scotland
    Yep it probably isn't worth it but how do they know that I didn't take my spanking new Ken Smith over from the UK and am just taking it back???

What about if I was to buy a Warwick in Germany- would I still have to pay UK duty since we are all supposed to be in Europe??